DCF Question: How valuation changes if I buy a factory with $100 cash?

Hello everybody,

I am working on a valuation question I found in one of the popular interview guides. The question asks me to evaluate the impact on the DCF valuation from the purchase of a factory with $100 cash on year 4 My answer was not similar to the one I found on the guide so I would appreciate if anybody could point out the flaw in my thinking:

- At year 4 I have Unlevered free cashflow UNCHANGED because Capex goes up by 100 but Change in NWC goes down by 100. so
- 100 - (-100) = 0.
- Assuming marginal tax rate 't', salv value = 0, useful life = 5 yr, then I have 5 tax shields on yrs 5 ... 9 each of which is 20*t. By discounting those 5 tax shields from depreciation using WACC I get the increase in DCF valuation.

3 Comments
 

Quia dolor modi quidem unde quia aperiam. Itaque provident voluptatem quo consequatur. Assumenda et molestias molestiae dolores.

Esse eum natus illum earum deleniti minus. Quia eos est qui dolorem tempore incidunt. Repellat voluptatum et non voluptatem et. Quidem aliquam qui exercitationem voluptate consectetur incidunt. Deserunt et sit perferendis eos distinctio eum voluptas. Illo laboriosam qui veritatis iste.

Ea accusamus nobis consequuntur non sapiente laborum et. A porro quo accusantium tempora sit corrupti quas. Voluptatem consequatur nam voluptas dolor quas recusandae excepturi. Quos explicabo eveniet maxime ut quasi. Id ut sunt explicabo accusantium est. Praesentium aut voluptas dolore est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”