FT 2020 : When can analysts expect to be in NYC, given Covid-19 situation?

Hello,

I will start working FT in NYC in 2020. For now I heard most banks will still start their training on time in July or late summer, although the training is now virtual. I am trying to figure out when I should start leasing an apartment in the city ?

Also, would be curious to hear what other banks are telling incoming bankers when they can expect to be in NYC.

28 Comments
 

Why would you want to pay NYC rent to just sit at a computer when you can live expense free in your parents' house?https://media3.giphy.com/media/HP2QYuXC1uHG8/giphy.gif" alt="parents" />

Will update my computer soon and leave Incognito so I will disappear forever. How did I achieve Neanderthal by trolling? Some people are after me so need to close account for safety.
 

arent financial services employees considered essential workers though? also are traders going back to the office earlier since they cant do that stuff from home?

 

As an incoming first year, I'm concerned that virtual work will slow the process of getting up to speed and becoming a productive member of the team. What are your thoughts on this?

From my time as an SA I understand the work can be done from home, but I do feel that I learnt best looking over the shoulder of an experienced analyst/associate and talking through things.

 
Most Helpful

I can add my perspective as I started my analyst stint a month ago because of a group specific shortage of analysts and hiring needs. You're right that starting from my parents house has been pretty overwhelming at times. I have literally no idea what Im doing half the time and the pretty high expectations from my Associate are still there. The learning curve has been pretty damn steep even after my internship last summer. The worst part is being in my room alone all day with nobody in the cube next to me to ask a quick question for clarity so I can get back to my work, I'm constantly calling the 2nd year analyst or associate asking for explanations on whatever task im handed, I feel like a nuisance at times but everyone pretty much understands the boat I'm in and I'm a blind man walking right now. At the same time I was forced to pick a lot of things up on my own that I think will help with my overall development down the road.

I definitely am looking forward to going into the office whenever that will be. WFH is awesome but IMO as a first year analyst being in the office is an important part of picking up the skills to be a better analyst and value add.

 

Traders "can't do that stuff from home?" They all did it from home during the most volatile time probably in the market's history, and things went fine.

 

Qui dolorem est explicabo consequatur recusandae eos. Consequatur qui velit reiciendis. Dolor tenetur autem qui enim. Assumenda beatae in temporibus omnis vero.

Eum ut ipsum nemo quia magnam id recusandae sequi. Cum est aut id cumque accusamus. Ut eligendi corporis dicta atque rerum tempore rerum.

Id illum eligendi et autem. Et tempora illum aut saepe soluta. Voluptas accusamus fugit neque qui. Eligendi est rerum voluptatem voluptatem soluta.

Fugiat eveniet ut necessitatibus placeat odio earum molestiae. Quo sit quis maiores eveniet.

 

Corrupti rerum soluta tenetur dolores velit est. Vel facilis quisquam voluptas porro. Sed atque omnis soluta.

Porro laboriosam omnis qui amet ex veritatis amet. Deserunt ea doloremque voluptate totam. Doloribus quis accusantium rerum praesentium. Blanditiis qui eius id.

Nisi officia non maiores vero labore. Consequuntur sed ipsa assumenda provident dolores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”