HELP: 2018er 'WeWorkER' trying to break into IB/Anything Finance, any chance?

Guys I am in a really embarrassing and looking for any advice for career (and life?)

I am a Chinese native went HS and College here. I graduated in 2018 from a semi-Target school in south (with good alumni coverage in Charlotte and Atlanta)

Interned at a small IB shop in NYC in junior summer (the program wasn't for full time at all, cheap summer labor only), went to FT superdays in JPM, Barclays but did not end up with an IB offer.

Went back to China and joined the WeWork China, focusing on growth strategy & operations. As you may have learned the story about WW from WSJ or 'Money Stuff', I learned about that through my life and was laid off early October. My parents can afford me for for a MBA but more experience is needed for sure.

Now came back to NYC/BOSTON looking for finance opportunity here. I know the windows for BBs and EBs are closed for me because of their very standard recruiting timeline and requirement, but do I still have a shot for small IB shops or AM? What kind of people should I cold email to? What skills can I pick up right now to better prepare me for any opportunity? ( Can do the basic modeling )

Please also drop any life advice for an unemployed young man if you have any, sometimes it feels devastated. Thanks

5 Comments
 
 

Vero veniam fuga possimus voluptate esse totam laudantium necessitatibus. Nihil omnis sed exercitationem aut ipsam quasi inventore maiores. Eius quam velit ex et nesciunt quae. Aliquam ea neque nam quo.

Sed corrupti tempora reiciendis nihil culpa voluptatibus laboriosam. Non accusamus aut tempora quaerat molestiae voluptatibus. Laborum qui ut neque excepturi eveniet nisi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”