I have applied for over 200+ roles in 6 months and now I am miserable

• If you don’t have the life you want, you should fight for it.

I believe in this notion immensely, and yet I struggle to prove it to fruition. There was no chance for a student like me with above-average grades, lack of big Institutions on my CV, and essentially no investment banking experience whatsoever to get an unconditional offer from one of the best universities in the world. So I fought for it, and I got it.

I was there, one interview away from getting the dream role of my life. It was a huge miracle how I got the interview itself, and then some, because of how smoothly it went. The days turned into months and it took me forever to understand that I had been ghosted by the firm. 8 Emails later, I received a generic response of how I didn’t make the cut. 

The same story, but with 4 different "prestigious" firms.

• You needed to be an undeniable candidate.

I desire more than the role offered me. I desire endless nights and working on projects that excite me. I gave my 100% and maybe it showed in the interview but mostly it didn’t because I clearly wasn’t undeniable, and I was obviously denied. Maybe my best was a little lesser than what I desired from life. 

It is my fault and yet it isn’t. I could be better, and yet I couldn’t have been.  In this spectrum of blame-gaming and uncertainty, I don't know which path to take, and if I even have a path left.

• Bleak Privilege

I can choose to wait it out. This cannot be said for most people in the world. I’m at the edge of the 1%, where I can always view the ones who aren’t, and yet I am not them. The pressures of their struggle are relatable but not real. And in this mongrel-like madness, I stand here. I can be a change maker, I can be a nobody, I can join the rat race and I can refuse it all and do nothing. The burden of responsibility that ties itself with freedom is extensive and I am Sisyphus with an emptier rock and gradual hill. 

• thank you for the comments, they're super helpful and motivated me to do better and not give up :)

Without knowing your background, I think there are a couple things that are great to point out.  

- A lot of people do not have a perfectly linear career and often find themselves in other roles before IB. Don't be to hard on yourself if this is the path you have to end up taking as well 

- This is going to be the toughest job market we have had in a while and 2020-2022 was crazy with hiring. So don't be discouraged by this 

- Make sure that you are being very targeted in your applications,  I think we are entering a time where networking cannot be overlooked. It never hurts to be in front of people that have the ability to hire you.   

Agree with this. There is definitely an element of luck/randomness involved in the hiring process. I know people who were grossly unqualified who got FT roles and exceptional people who didn't so don't beat yourself up. I would try to take a role that is similar to IB like TAS/CDD or even generalist consulting and keep networking/applying. Always MBA to fall back on as well after you get a couple of years of experience

PeRmAnEnTiNtErN

Without knowing your background, I think there are a couple things that are great to point out.  

- A lot of people do not have a perfectly linear career and often find themselves in other roles before IB. Don't be to hard on yourself if this is the path you have to end up taking as well 

- This is going to be the toughest job market we have had in a while and 2020-2022 was crazy with hiring. So don't be discouraged by this 

- Make sure that you are being very targeted in your applications,  I think we are entering a time where networking cannot be overlooked. It never hurts to be in front of people that have the ability to hire you.   

- I am applying to other roles as well, but many of my peers cannot exit into IB/PE/S&T/AM since they accepted full-time offers for assurance/operations/audit. I think it helps with the networking bit, but it's a full circle back to applying and interviewing for the same roles plus you won't qualify as a graduate anymore? This is what I've observed, I could be wrong of course...

Most Helpful

I’m in tech and hiring froze up in 2020 at the height of the pandemic. It sucked, and it’s okay to not feel okay at times. I sent out 312 applications, had virtual zoom meetings and phone calls with tons of people to try and network my way in. Took 3.5 months to find a job (I tried my best to grind it out 14 hours a day). I took a less ideal position (in the SWE world I wasn’t an actual SWE, I was an SDET which is a more “middle office” type of function). Spent 1.5 years there and then upgraded to Platform Engineering (which is more “front office” in my world).

It was a grind but it works out if you choose it to work out. As others have commented, life is not linear (and would be boring if it was). Keep at it, don’t give up.

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

From your post it sounds like you have been focusing on prestigious, top banks. Maybe look at MMs? I know its likely not your goal, but its always possible to lateral over especially when hiring picks up a little. Overall, like others have said, your career does not have to be linear. 

Accusantium enim placeat et rerum unde. Est modi pariatur qui est hic perferendis. Aperiam ipsa et voluptatem ut non esse. Officia fugit amet quia. Excepturi itaque nam quo rerum laboriosam et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”