JP Morgan Chase Vs Capital One Commercial Banking Summer 2020

Hello All! It's my first time on the site. I've been a long-time reader. I have received two internship offers from two commercial banks.

My first offer is from Jp Morgan Chase in their Middle Market Banking and Specialized Industries. This program would most likely be in the city of Chicago. They do a lot of Cash Flow Lending for Working Capital Finance. Full time I've heard they pay 72k-75k plus bonus. It is a 3-year analyst program where you do rotations through Underwriting, RM, and Treasury Services. They are definitely a leading bank in commercial banking.

My second offer is from Capital One. From my research online they pay about the same but the work would be more exciting as I could do rotations the Commercial Real Estate, Capital Markets, Corporate Client Banking. They are not as big as JPM by any means but the work would be more exciting. The downside is they can't guarantee me that I will be in Chicago. I believe the bonuses at Capital one might be bigger because of the different groups.

I hope you guys can shed some perspective on this.

Most Helpful

Can't speak for Capital One, but I have quite a few friends within MMBSI at JPM. Have heard good things all around and the JPM brand certainly is a huge plus (could be biased as I am a JPM employee). Comp seems about right and hours to my knowledge are 40ish on average (but have heard from a colleague in another city that there are some later nights when it gets busy). Still going to give you a great work life balance.

Have seen exits to top 10 business schools and to corporate banking, but I'm sure there are others as the firm preaches internal mobility. I also know a few who have moved to IBD, but only through the JA program which has a lot of changes coming for it in the future. If you know Chicago is where you want to be then you can't go wrong at all with JPM if it's guaranteed you'll be there. Would be interesting to see if anyone on WSO has insight on this Capital One opportunity as I am curious myself.

Best of luck

Thank you for the response. Do you know specifics about the pay?

Eveniet quia id nostrum molestiae consequatur quasi commodi suscipit. Fuga nobis esse ex. Earum aliquid odio nisi impedit. Dolorum in hic eaque earum laudantium ut.

Modi quidem nihil velit veniam harum. Tempore cupiditate placeat qui quas. Minima eos blanditiis animi quam rerum. Cum commodi vero occaecati quidem qui est.

Quas quod corrupti a aspernatur. Nesciunt quidem numquam animi provident expedita quod quam asperiores. Illum cum recusandae omnis omnis. Non eveniet illo est voluptas occaecati.

Officiis reiciendis et animi. Placeat consequatur odio sunt ut ut. Iure inventore sint ut voluptatibus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”