Lazard London 2023: Thoughts on Junior Firing / Culture/ Dealflow

Hi All,

I recently received an offer to join Laz as a junior associate (completed 2 years in BB IBD M&A). I am not sure if I am cut out for PE (tbh was near bottom bucket at my mid tier BB, but I reckon it's more competitive than Laz - i.e. 2 analyst exits to UMM / MF PE and the rest have done several off cycles and masters in finance etc.) and I'd like staying in banking.

I was wondering if anyone could share their insights into Lazard London. I have a couple friends there and would like a wider and less biased opinion.

They are actually very negative on their experiences (supposedly low bonus, quality of analysts and associates can be very low, lots of pitching vs my current role, stuck up and snobby British culture).

What attracts me is perhaps slightly less hours than my current role, hybrid working potential (TBC) and being in Mayfair vs east London. My current role has better buyside exits than what I've observed from Laz and better junior hires (i.e. not Oxford humanities with no internships) so i imagine responsibility will be less than my current lean team.

I also had an offer from Evercore a while back but ultimately turned that down. There is also the other option at my bank to go to SG / NYC in an adjacent team (senior already confirmed he would vouch for me on this).

Could someone please confirm analyst / as associate base and bonus too? I am kinda scared on bonuses from what my friend told me and seen some heavy movement in lazards RX group in mid level.

Many many thanks alls

do firms know what bucket you're in if they're lateral hiring?

True, I don't rate Laz analysts in London technically at all. Had a coffee chat with a female associate and she could not answer some super basic questions. My friends internally have been saying the same things too. I think if you fit into the culture it's nice though. I am not British so unsure if the right move. And they don't know what bucket you're in FYI at existing bank, although I do know they probs chatted to a guy in my team as he is an ex director at Laz London. My team are weirdly ok with analysts / associates looking elsewhere so I won't get critiqued for it. Weird I know

Most Helpful

Depends heavily on the team but culture is overall not good. British pretentious vibes all over. Not sure where you get info on hours but in reality, hours are tough. Quality of juniors (and seniors) is indeed mixed. Generally speaking, Lazard in not lateral friendly meaning the bar is much lower and overall treatment is much better for homegrown people vs laterals which is a crucial point. Comp was good for couple of years but the norm is lower than other EBs. People there are not focused so much on exits which explains why some mediocre (or worse) people stick around and quality of some associates is subpar. Again, very team-sensitive. There are some teams you absolutely need to avoid and others which are OK to be part of. Happy to share more in PM.

I think it's engrained in their culture to have majority British hires. I've had a few coffee chats with existing analysts and some are very shoddy, while some are excellent (vs. at my bank where level is more even). They have this super long term 1 year internship with very British people and then force them to do 3 years as an analyst, so ultimately 4 years as an analyst. And speaking with some of these guys their technical skillset / deal experience is weaker than spending 1Y at my bank as they've rotated/just not very good (i.e. not finance masters, not that academically smart, etc.). I actually view this as an advantage though as if you go to a top BB everyone is pretty much elite

From what I understand it’s a lot of corporate work rather than sponsor work in London. That may or may not suit you, but something to keep in mind 

Mollitia rerum impedit dolor et. Culpa molestiae ipsum debitis. Consequatur libero aut repellat ut autem nesciunt.

Sit et adipisci ut dolores et corrupti dolorum. Magnam atque quo eum dolores veniam. Dicta id sapiente et expedita cupiditate. Minus dolores ea eaque et eos in.

Cupiditate error accusantium magnam velit sed. Qui aliquid qui consequatur occaecati dignissimos officia repellat. Perspiciatis rerum debitis asperiores ea hic. Rem recusandae nam vel non voluptatibus non qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”