Moelis NY in 2020? Top Groups? Exits?

Anyone have insight on Moelis NYC? How does this office stack up against EVR/PJT/LAZ/PWP and against bulges like BAR/CITI/BAML? How have the exits been? I know that the LA office is considered stronger, but I've heard that both offices really support analyst buyside recruiting. Thanks.

Most Helpful

Better exits than many of the coverage groups at GS, MS, JPM, LAZ. HF-oriented as well as PE exits. Definitely tip top tier and anyone going there should count themselves lucky.

You didn’t ask but they a very unique and diverse culture that I can characterize as smart fratty guys and super smart sorority girls that at the same time kind of reminds me of high school. Very tight-knit culture at the analyst level at least. Recruiting could be a bit more transparent, though. They tend to hire from a weird set of target schools and seem to be adamant against expanding which may or may not hold them back from becoming truly the best.

Source: yldp

Analyst classes are always very tight, you'll work quite a bit but will leave your two years better than most analysts on the street, you'll get looks at any PE/HF if that's your goal. NY has had strong exits past few classes

Compared to EVR etc. you'll work the same hours on average (yes, really) and you'll be paid pretty much the same, assuming you're a good analyst. You'll have exit opps at all

Would say moelis is stronger place to be than BBs listed for exits/experience

same or better than most on your group but PJT/EVR are much better

Class size is relatively small at 9-10 and dealflow is very strong. Top-tier placements and analysts get looks from PE MF's on either coast. Used to be a sweatshop a couple of years ago, but work-life balance and culture have significantly improved since then. Part of the reason why the office is so strong is cuz a number of founding partners are in the office (Ken splits his time between NY/LA and Jeff and Navid both sit in LA)

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”