Q&A: International Student Full-Time IB Recruiting - Class of 2020

Covid is obviously making everything shit and Trump is giving companies heart attacks left and right about sponsoring students. In light of all this, and to give back to the WSO community, I want to try help out internationals trying to recruit for IB this year, particular for FT.

Not going to disclose too much about myself, but a couple of points to kick off questions that I think people might want to ask:

1) Sponsorship: plenty of firms don't sponsor now and you're banging your head against the door applying to them. The single most helpful resource I used was https://www.h1bdata.info/ - search up a firm and see if they've sponsored anyone in recent years. Here you can see how some firms say they don't sponsor but occassionally do, or some firms who say they sponsor but don't (e.g. try PWP - no one since 2016 last time I checked). This isn't 100% accurate, e.g. some firm policies may have only recently changed, but is a damn good place to start. I'd triangulate b/w this and word of mouth - the latter can be more up-to-date but is also possibly false marketing.

2) Mentality and networking: as northkoreanbanker frequently mentions, stop being afraid about being international. You are first and foremost a student and a fucking normal human being. Just open up and that gives a better chance to connect during networking. Don't trap yourself into acting FOB just because people tell you you're FOB. You can even turn your home country into something to talk about (if you're sure they sponsor and that the person across the table expresses interest in it)

3) Is it worth trying? One caveat to the above idealistic mentality is that you will still run into cases like: the chat is going well, the guy nonchalantly asks "oh btw you don't need sponsorship right?" "uh...actually" "oh...I'm sorry man". It happens. The tide is still overwhelmingly against you. The point is there is risk, i.e. you might be better off spending your recruiting efforts elsewhere, and you should be aware of that before jumping in. Think about it first - maybe the right answer isn't to dedicate 110% of your time to IB recruiting with a miniscule chance of getting in. Maybe you can't afford to be jobless after graduation. No shame in that. What's your long term plan? To go home in a few years? Then tbh you might have a smoother life going back PwC in your home country compared to starting at a no-name boutique in NY. But in the end, if you do decide to accept this risk, see point 2 - don't look back.

Feel free to add any other questions and I'll try to get around to answering.

That depends on company. I'd say most generally have a stance on whether they'd be willing to make exceptions. In general the smaller the firm the more flexible they are, but also the more likely that their initial stance is a no - so it's up to you to convince them. https://www.h1bdata.info/ is still a good tool. If it's a large firm and you see 1-2 sponsors a year that's a good indicator that they sponsor on a case-by-case basis. But note that some 1-off cases may be laterals and not new grads.

Could you please explain the PE process with H1-B and OPT. Will it be your current bank that will work the process or the PE firm. Sorry if this questions seem dumb but I’m new to this. Thanks.

Most Helpful

As above, this is something I haven't really looked into and don't plan to do. But logistically you spend ~2 years in banking and hopefully get your H1-B, which means your next employer wouldn't have to worry about it (I have never heard of a bank that recruits you on OPT but does not sponsor your OPT). If you have 3 years OPT and leave your bank before that time is up without an H1-B then yea your next employer is taking a massive risk to employ you.

Ut ut laudantium neque eligendi ducimus. Cumque voluptas pariatur ipsa aut.

Et maiores consequatur ex quia odio culpa. Sed suscipit omnis et dolore quia rerum itaque. Quia vitae quod quo consectetur qui omnis. Quia excepturi explicabo excepturi enim ullam cumque earum voluptatum. Quod dolorem occaecati ea. Saepe dignissimos et rem enim corrupti dolor officiis nostrum.

Soluta autem dignissimos maiores itaque. Sunt aliquid dolorem et ab nam eaque libero. Eos at iusto asperiores iste. Est aut et earum incidunt et laudantium reiciendis. Eveniet unde magni reiciendis est. Repellendus cupiditate culpa aut perspiciatis nemo.

Nam ut explicabo enim quis sed. Iusto nihil tempora molestiae vel officiis quo voluptatem. Aut deserunt aut doloribus. Est voluptate perspiciatis veritatis qui similique. At nam sed quis tempore voluptatem. Ullam modi beatae sed beatae at.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”