Specialized lender in Asset backed lending a way into a mega fund?
Thought I’ll see if anyone can give some useful advice/input on an opportunity that has presented to me.
Bit of background first:
- in a Securitized Products desk as an associate.
- Before that, at the same BB, on the structured lending desk.
- A specialized lender (a private credit firm) on their asset backed finance team approached me to join the team. They primarily do senior loans backed behind accounts receivables, inventory, PP&E and real property. etc. mid market companies is their focus with revenues over 20m+
- They can do mez + equity as they aren’t a bank. They typically don’t securitize into the public market.
- They pay a bit less, but it’s role (???) and figured it’s a good way into actual investing.
The goal is to get into a mega fund in one of the structured finance arms.
Question: Would going into a specialized lender (a smallershop??) path the way into a structured finance arm of a bulge bracket Private Credit shop?
Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all