State of BMO in 2020

Hi all,

I was hoping to see if anyone had some current information regarding BMO in terms of deal flow, culture, hours & compensation, top groups in the US, exit opportunities, etc.

Any info or insights would be helpful and appreciated.

Most Helpful

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM BMO.

Compensation is not there on bonus, hours are crazy, and culture is a mixed bag.

BMO continues to layoff a lot of people and not promote many who deserve it...while SIMULTANEOUSLY hiring idiots.

I second this... hiring a bunch of idiots to fill diversity quotas. I know the scholarship SA this year failed/cheated on her accounting exam in school. 

They laid off a ton of people over the summer. They also cut their SA class in half and pulled my (Chicago) SA offer (know of other friends that got theirs pulled too), so that wasn’t fun. Some of the groups are in pretty good shape tho.

Basically they lost a few heavyweight MDs in their metals and mining group which is like, a ton of their revenue and have had some struggles since then. Still a solid shop tho, just have some issues at the moment it seems. Sure they will recover. That’s just based off of my somewhat limited interactions with them recruiting.

Still a solid shop but losing the BSD mining MDs has hurt their reputation as a leader in the mining sector, some of the other big canadian banks seem keen to fill that spot

I was an intern last summer. Culture is pretty good all around, although HC seems to have a bit of an issue. In general, senior people are extremely approachable and helpful. Groups with more dealflow obviously work more hours. Busiest groups seemed to be IND, HC, and TBS (TMT). LevFin does a ton of business, too. I can't speak much to exits, but my understanding is that the brand alone isn't going to land you many interviews. Analyst signing bonuses are below street, and I've heard that 1st year bonuses are also low. Associate comp seems to be more in line.

Heard some stories that a couple of people left on bad terms a few years ago and I've heard mixed things about the seniors currently running the group. After bonuses hit in the summer they had more analysts leave than was expected, so they were a bit short staffed and the interns got slammed pretty hard. Could definitely be a small issue that got blown a bit out of proportion. Unfortunately, I don't have the whole picture. Hope that helps.

I would stay away from BMO. Over the past couple of years, culture has definitely been an issue, which is likely due to the new management. Compensation is all over the place with very little transparency of what to expect. Deal flow is decent in coverage groups with LevFin being the bread and butter of the firm. If you are interested in M&A, I would steer clear as BMO relies entirely on their balance sheet for relationships. It is a decent brand and you will learn a good amount, but at the moment I don't know a single junior that hasn't verbalized they are looking elsewhere. Morale is VERY bad.

Unfortunately HC outlook remains unchanged bc friends in group cant even get exit options because all recruiters know the group's issues lead to poor candidates

Senior leaders lookout for themselves. Juniors are not well taken care of. I agree with the majority of other criticism posted here.

Although likely not of interest on an investment banking forum, the BMO USA commercial banking operation (the old Harris Bank), besides being a regional c&i lender in their local territory, punches way above their weight nationally on sponsor deals and large contractors.

Pio nono:
Although likely not of interest on an investment banking forum, the BMO USA commercial banking operation (the old Harris Bank), besides being a regional c&i lender in their local territory, punches way above their weight nationally on sponsor deals and large contractors.

Does it really though? It's a Top 10 NA bank by assets, but doesn't compete with JPM and BofA in terms of direct lending. Seems like it is right where one would expect.

I was in the NYC office. Agreed with everyone's comments above but will also add some color:

Initially told the interns that they have spots for everyone but ended up pulling offers as the summer went on; potential hiring freeze. The tone was different from the start of the summer when they said that they wanted to grow the class to compete with other MM firms.

First and second year analysts were grumbling about cut bonuses and the difficulty in PE recruiting, although they do place well in certain MM funds. Just don't expect MF folks to even bother looking at your resume. I liked BMO overall, but my group was very cliquey and chose favorites very early in the summer because my alumni connections were outside of my group. Wished I had more time to leverage my offer elsewhere but it exploded before other superdays. If BMO is your only offer, fine. Otherwise, I suggest you leverage it elsewhere.

If you're interested in staying sellside long-term, this is a good place. very high A2A conversion rates.

I can only comment on BMO's Toronto office based on experience from friends who have interned / worked there.

Highly group dependent but hours are for sure worse than other Canadian banks. Buddies who have worked in tough groups like Mining say it's generally 9am to midnight the earliest on weekdays and typically 1 or 2 full days on the weekends. Lots of pitching across the board and generally poor / rough culture stemming from MD/D/VP level.

Turnover is also very high at the Analyst/Associate level and I've heard they frequently layoff Analyst / Associates (especially MBA Associates) who underperform. Bonus (at least in Canada) is on par with other Canadian banks, but Canadian banks pay low base ($85k CAD for Analysts and $100K for Associates - stays flat) so total comp can vary ALOT once you move to Associate 2 and above.

The positive is that BMO at least in Canada tends to get a good chunk of the top mandates (not as many as RBC though). They are typically on big domestic mining deals, large financing mandates, etc. Analysts place relatively well into buyside at least in Canada.

Wait a second - Associate base in Canada is $120k for all assoc years for BMO? Isn't that BS considering US Associates at BMO are at $150k?

Went from nonexistent in US league tables to top 10 in SSA issuances and top 15 in ABS  league tables in few years from new leadership.

I interned in the Toronto office this summer, I can share my experience from what I saw internally. Summer 2019 was when a lot of disruption took place for BMO. We started in May and in June a huge wave of layoffs occurred. Associate 1 to Deputy Heads of IB were affected. Associates were hit extra hard. We all received an email from the CEO of the division explaining the layoffs.

The new CEO of capital markets made it clear that hes focused on cutting costs aggressively. The entire IB division would get emails from him throughout the summer to lower our cost footprint (one of the emails asked us to print less lol).

As for what this means going forward for all of you (assuming you are students/incoming analysts/incoming interns). Depending on the group, the hours can be nasty. Hours ranged from leaving at 9PM for DCM/ECM interns all the way to consistent 2ams for mining interns. Culture wise, the groups to avoid are mining, diversified and M&A. As part of the cost cutting drive, analyst class size was also cut which decimated the return offer rate. I would say to steer clear of BMO a little while until there's a more clarity on when the culture and strategy will stabilize.

As a person who has worked in IB for 10+ years, the state of professionals at BMOCM feels unprecedented for a relatively stable bank.

I've worked at various banks during my tenure and never before could I state that virtually all of my colleagues are in serious recruitment talks with other banks. Issues list includes unrealistic goals, below street comp, unbearable processes, declining culture - you name it.

For all the younger professionals considering BMOCM, please do your research on the people in your groups, along with the culture of the team.

Too bad it seems they've determined that it's okay to tarnish the franchise. I thought the "bad rep" was isolated to the US, where they've been unable to build the critical mass to compete. Figured the CA franchise would be decent. Believe they were one of the tops in CAD M&A last year.

KC

Echoing on this post knowing groups is key but it seems everyone is in a bit of turmoil. In the US industrials from what I hear has the best culture and deal flow. Other groups are rather even in deal flow which is not great to start with. Culture wise healthcare apparently has become toxic under the new head. Lev fin has has seen complete turnover with maybe 1 or 2 senior bankers that've been there longer than 2 years.. obviously not ideal for continuity or any sense of culture.

Senior leadership has been pushing to grow sponsor coverage, bringing in a bunch of new MDs and doubling the number of juniors in that group as well. No idea why so many juniors are needed as all they did historically is set up calls and process NDAs.

Overall not too surprised why everyone is interviewing, I would be as well.

Have a friend who interned in Corp at a Canadian office. Didn’t get a full time return due to no open spots , but I heard the culture is no where near as bad as the ib teams. Definitely not a shit show

Comp is absolutely garbage, in both good and bad years (U.S.). I’m talking bonuses of PE exit but very very few of my colleagues did.

I would recommend you stay away unless only other options are boutiques.

Where would you compare BMO to DB? Would you say that given BMO's rise that they're overtaking DB as a new BB player?

BMO is still shitty. During COVID especially, the bank is a shit show.

Stay away. The firm is at the brink of going under. After firing 60 ppl last week, they gave out bonuses this year at the 10-20% of base range. There are some signs of further cuts in headcounts. My entire team is looking for lateral opps as I speak. 

At BMO is there a difference in Analyst/Associate comp between US and Canada?

Any more current comments? Also curious to hear any info on analyst bonuses

Worked there for a few years in IB in NY, didn't lateral due to personal issues.  
As an analyst, name wont get you many PE interviews for the most part, coverage groups dont do much modeling, bank relies on balance sheet and doesnt really have many entrenched clients the way an EB has clients that pay just for M&A services, doesnt do left leads often, even in LF team (recently have done some due to hairier deals others stayed away from), bonuses suck and are below street, culture is eh and team dependent. There really isn't any value outside of being able to break in, would recommend lateralling as many analysts successfully have.  

The way they treated their Houston office was unnecessary and terrible. It’s amazing that they could think that was okay and wouldn’t impact them in the future.  

They also fucked their clients over by obliterating people who were running live deals. 

Teddy1999

Anybody know why BMO is still hiring for Houston even though they shut it down?  https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2506701125

It's for a SPAC Analyst position. The former BMO Energy IB head in Houston, Jon Marinelli, has been repositioned to lead a new SPAC coverage group. Also lmao at BMO selling out of energy at the cycle low then want to get into SPACs at the SPAC and macroecon market top. Buffet's old greedy/fearful adage comes to mind...

Well they bumped analyst base to 100/105, and I heard analyst bonuses were decent this year, so there's that

Mostly positive so far this year.

A&As got base bumps on par with the BB banks and analysts just got significantly improved bonuses. A good sign towards improved business performance and commitment to the juniors.

LF and ECM have both been on a tear this year.

The stronger groups have built up, hired, and had good retention, while a few others have hemorrhaged juniors.

Temporibus tempora est qui sapiente. Necessitatibus qui dicta sit aut repellat sint doloribus. Quo eligendi minus quis ullam iure. Aperiam consequatur optio assumenda consequuntur est omnis. Exercitationem est illo distinctio tempora aliquam consectetur beatae.

Ea omnis non vel id dolores. Fuga aliquid qui rerum cupiditate aut aut ea. Cupiditate qui aut unde molestias.

At deleniti ut voluptatem et autem. Distinctio magni qui quia unde voluptatem eos.

Quia inventore sunt est assumenda recusandae corrupti. Molestias officiis voluptate recusandae voluptatem nihil.

Exercitationem eos expedita placeat enim sed. Eaque et adipisci et velit ut. Non nemo culpa eos. Qui laborum ea numquam qui aut laudantium id. Ea hic unde repellat eligendi illo consectetur. Consequatur non veniam et aut ducimus. Debitis odio atque eaque veritatis eos.

Sit et odio eveniet dolores optio eum. Facilis ab tempore hic quae voluptate eveniet. Totam facere est iusto aspernatur placeat maxime.

Esse quisquam quidem eum optio aliquam. Quis enim sit et excepturi. Ipsa unde deleniti nobis repellendus. Dolores enim et vel autem expedita odit. Aut hic vero aspernatur laudantium suscipit dolore sit.

Id cum ullam reprehenderit eos neque doloremque qui rerum. Quis inventore laudantium consequatur veniam. Et architecto id expedita est enim iste. Perferendis non quam sit qui sapiente nostrum. Accusantium ex sunt dolorum sed odit et quaerat.

Officia consequuntur similique enim atque ea. Hic rerum qui ut ea.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Facere culpa placeat repellat omnis maxime fugit. Modi excepturi illum qui earum. Et quasi laborum cupiditate cumque consectetur aut ut. Iure qui est omnis est. Impedit quas voluptates sunt est consequuntur qui voluptate.

Tempore eligendi voluptates quo libero. Et tempore dignissimos qui minus modi. Et perspiciatis ratione ut delectus ipsa ut asperiores velit. Iste maiores temporibus qui necessitatibus deleniti corporis. Vel voluptatem optio minus et cupiditate. Voluptatem voluptatibus pariatur est voluptatem dignissimos pariatur rerum.

Consequatur nemo quia quae et consequatur. Debitis rerum dicta laborum nihil. Nulla perspiciatis saepe iure alias et.

Et ut exercitationem corporis voluptatem dolorum. Maxime est consectetur tempora quis illum. Provident excepturi quae repudiandae quia ut qui. Neque doloribus non aut aut eos. Vel quo non alias provident et eos maiores. Consequatur facilis dolorum labore.

Quos nostrum libero pariatur doloremque molestias tempore voluptatem. Quia nisi autem molestiae dolor consectetur. Officia recusandae quibusdam repellat iste.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”