"There is a reasonable prospect that the current recession will end in 2009"

So does anyone find this hard to believe? I mean when you look at the economic data coming out every day, things are looking way too awful for that to be even a remote possibility. I think sometime in 2010 is a more reasonable estimate of when things will start looking up. I think this stimulus plan is better than nothing but Bernanke seems extremely optimistic.

Thoughts?

I don't think a recovery is likely, but I do see think it is not unreasonable to say we might hit bottom in 2009. Assuming Geithner and Bernanke play their role as end stops, and let a few more firms fail without letting the repercussions get out of hand, I could conceive of hitting bottom this year. Of course, I could also imagine AIG failing and setting off another round of failures that will send us even even lower.

It's easy to get hung up on the micro and focus on the situation in the U.S., but you have to look at the macro too and see that there are market forces way beyond the control of any government.

There are many shoes left to fall.

It's going to be interesting to see what becomes of the AIG situation and what type of fallout will result from it.

You have to read between the lines when figure-heads like Bernake speak, obviously he has to make sure he doesn't cause more panic in the financial markets. Its when he says things such as (I'm paraphrasing) "the downside risks far outweigh the upside." Essentially he is admitting this statement about recovery towards the end of 2009 is very optimistic and dependent upon a string of events which all have a pretty high degree of uncertainty themselves.

Jack: They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off from that economic crisis that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have zero real world skills, but God they work hard. -30 Rock

Voluptatem corrupti blanditiis pariatur quia officia. Et optio veniam labore et. Blanditiis odit similique autem sequi sit.

Culpa quia eos ipsum. Voluptas eum nulla dicta et. Fugiat est blanditiis aut similique excepturi maiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Morgan Stanley 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (207) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (152) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”