"There is a reasonable prospect that the current recession will end in 2009"

So does anyone find this hard to believe? I mean when you look at the economic data coming out every day, things are looking way too awful for that to be even a remote possibility. I think sometime in 2010 is a more reasonable estimate of when things will start looking up. I think this stimulus plan is better than nothing but Bernanke seems extremely optimistic.

Thoughts?

5 Comments
 

I don't think a recovery is likely, but I do see think it is not unreasonable to say we might hit bottom in 2009. Assuming Geithner and Bernanke play their role as end stops, and let a few more firms fail without letting the repercussions get out of hand, I could conceive of hitting bottom this year. Of course, I could also imagine AIG failing and setting off another round of failures that will send us even even lower.

 

It's easy to get hung up on the micro and focus on the situation in the U.S., but you have to look at the macro too and see that there are market forces way beyond the control of any government.

There are many shoes left to fall.

It's going to be interesting to see what becomes of the AIG situation and what type of fallout will result from it.

 

You have to read between the lines when figure-heads like Bernake speak, obviously he has to make sure he doesn't cause more panic in the financial markets. Its when he says things such as (I'm paraphrasing) "the downside risks far outweigh the upside." Essentially he is admitting this statement about recovery towards the end of 2009 is very optimistic and dependent upon a string of events which all have a pretty high degree of uncertainty themselves.

Jack: They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off from that economic crisis that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have zero real world skills, but God they work hard. -30 Rock
 

Dolorem sed veritatis labore ipsam. Id ea porro laborum et quia magnam. Sit natus modi repellat a laudantium. Nostrum magni dolores tenetur repellendus accusantium veritatis voluptatem.

Fuga delectus consequatur atque et. Qui voluptates mollitia consectetur rerum et dicta. Nemo aut exercitationem ratione ad ad hic.

Career Advancement Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 02 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”