Time to M.D. before 2008 crash

Can anyone please shed light on the path to M.D. before the Global Financial Crisis?  Obviously some groups, banks and products were making record profits and working 24/7/365 at clip unseen since the crash.  Curious as to what career progression looked like and if the record breaking profits made career progression move materially faster, etc.  

I know this might depend wildly on the group or shop but would love to hear some thoughts.  Thanks

Not really any faster. S&T has always had young MDs since that is a very eat what you kill side and it's possible to move up quickly if you generate a ton of revenue.

Banking is very old-school - do your time and promotions are pretty standardized at X years - and you didn't have 30 year old banking MDs back then either unless at a very small shop. If anything I think there's been a year or two shaved off the process... analyst -> associate came down to 2 years and associate -> VP/director has gotten quicker too

Not really any faster. S&T has always had young MDs since that is a very eat what you kill side and it's possible to move up quickly if you generate a ton of revenue.

Banking is very old-school - do your time and promotions are pretty standardized at X years - and you didn't have 30 year old banking MDs back then either unless at a very small shop. If anything I think there's been a year or two shaved off the process... analyst -> associate came down to 2 years and associate -> VP/director has gotten quicker too

Say what you want but Ol Jeff Epstein became a partner at Bear Stearns at the ripe age of 27. Sure you hear about lots of the notable people who made it big but I am sure there definitely were more early age MDs than nowadays. 

Steve Shwarzman was a partner at Lehman and their IB head in his early 30s. 

I’d say in the 70s it was typically eight to ten years from associate to partner and you went to business school straight from undergrad so 32 to 34 was normal to make partner. M&A was an emerging field and so Steve (and yes I know him personally so I can call him that) was able to take that over at a very young age. He was (and still is) also the most talented finance person of a generation. It’s like saying Lebrun was an MVP out of high school.

Kinda checks out on this site of hundreds of thousands, someone would know Schwarzman. Small world.

damn props to you for looking out for the team. would love to work with someone who cares about their juniors as much as you

Great guy. also, if you don't mind explaining, what specifically did Steve do early on in his career or what about him makes you consider him the most talented finance person of the generation? Thanks. 

Most Helpful
axecapintern

Great guy. also, if you don't mind explaining, what specifically did Steve do early on in his career or what about him makes you consider him the most talented finance person of the generation? Thanks. 

So this sounds absolutely crazy but true. I was analyst in the noughties and we had just done a deal and my client invited the deal team to one of those black tie charity dinners and someone more senior couldn’t go so my MD asked me to join (that’s why I bought a tux for the first time). Somehow, I got stuck in a conversation in a group with Bruce Wasserstein and Steve Schwarzman (who much later I got to know as a client) and they are both humble bragging about how great the other guy was. Anyway Wasserstein says about Schwarzman, “no one could explain complex ideas more succinctly or more effectively to CEOs”. And in the 1970s, M&A was emerging as a complex but critical factor in the economy (the stock market had a fifteen year slump, junk bonds were emerging and the hostile takeover become a thing). So to be young guy who can explain all of this to CEOs is a superpower.

Also know someone in high finance who used to work directly with Steve. From what I heard, he's sharp as nails even in his older years.

Et dolorem vero excepturi et voluptatem aliquam sunt. Ipsum accusamus fugit aut. Iste quia sed rerum consequatur repellendus rem sit vitae. Ipsam eum perspiciatis qui sed consequatur.

Eligendi rerum est impedit dolores non. Quia ullam totam labore. Fugit quia temporibus atque qui ratione. Facilis aut alias iure quod labore. Harum sapiente sint eos enim. Eius veniam accusantium dolore.

Atque enim dolorem aut quia id commodi quo. Voluptas eveniet libero animi nulla saepe quis doloribus.

Eius ab minus ut sit temporibus. Deleniti numquam voluptatem sed voluptatem accusamus ab. Quam nam quos quaerat aperiam incidunt sint cupiditate. Rerum et ipsum quaerat. Pariatur labore excepturi consequatur eaque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (148) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”