WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (5/30-6/5)

In case you missed them, here's some of last week's most popular topics:

Life after PE - the other road
Post By @labanker"

A couple of years ago, I said goodbye to the private equity industry and decided to try my luck in the tech industry. Not as a VC associate. Not as an "entrepreneur". But As a programmer! Being actively engaged and excited about what you do casts your work in a whole new light. You pick up things more easily. You are more productive and spend less time procrastinating. Knowing that I can sit down and sort through difficult technical challenges and get to a solution is confidence inspiring.

The Work Always Gets Done
Post By @mergersandacquisitions78"

I've seen the latest sad news posted in this forum, and I've felt the need to comment again. Though these are well publicised stories, but I've seen it happen too many times in my career. As some of you know, I'm a M&A MD in my mid 30s and have effectively worked my entire career in IB since I was a first year analyst, so I think I have a good perspective on workload issues.

My job as an MD is to deliver advice to clients, and while i rely heavily on the analysis and presentation that you do as analysts and associates, I'm experienced enough to do my job without perfect presentations or analysis. So rather than drive yourself to exhaustion creating the perfect work product, discuss with me (or whoever your MD is) how to use the time that we have efficiently.

29-year Old Banker Commits Suicide
Post By @CFACandidateLevel1"

Another sad story: A 29-year old banker named Thomas J Hughes from Moelis & Company committed suicide. Are the hours really getting better in banking, and lifestyle becoming less stressful for young professionals?

GS Analyst dies
Post By @ChimpOnMyShoulder"

It's always sad seeing a young kid pass away. It's even worse that he may have passed because of complications due to exhaustion from being overworked. The article states that he was up for two days before he passed. He even tried to quit work but decided to come back.

I wonder if this will lead to some new initiatives or force the banks to take their previous initiatives more seriously. Personally, I doubt this news will change my career path much, but it is worth thinking over and being cognizant of.

"A Son Never Dies" by Sunil Gupta - Moving Letter from a Father of an Ibanking Analyst
Comment by @DickFuld"

For those youngsters out there: You need to set boundaries and live your own life. You do not live to fulfill the dreams of your parents. Live your own life on your terms. Ultimately, your parents will respect you more for that than doing exactly what they command all the time.

It is much better to set boundaries and give little no's along the way. Take control of your destiny. Those that own their destiny are much more comfortable with the inevitable trials and tribulations along the way. So please, live your own life or risk dying for someone else's dreams.

How many hours per week do you spend at the office? Vote in the new poll
Post By @AndyLouis"

Vote in our new poll: here

Since a lot of SA's will be voting, my updated guess is 41-50 wins, closely followed by 61-70 and 71-80.

The guys at 80+ won't have time to vote so that will skew the results a bit...

Which do you guys predict will be #1?

Barclays Power & Utilities: Welcome to the Jungle
Post By @NESCAC"

Incoming Intern Class of 2015,

Welcome to Power! I am sure you are all busy at training, but in the interest of helping your transition into summer, and hopefully helping some of you secure Full-Time offers, I wanted to introduce you to the 10 Power Commandments.

P.S. There are a number of typos in place in the email. These are on purpose. First person to email me back with at least 3 highlighted typos is off to a GREAT start!

Long term, concentrated, deep fundamental investing
Post By @Acidophilus"

I often hear this combination of terms bandied about. Is there anyone at a shop who has a mandate like this? What is your process/edge? Are there any classic books you'd recommend as a practitioner of this style of investing?

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”