200+ applications with 0 interviews in London, what can I do???

I graduated last year from a Top target uni where I studied economics. Throughout my final year and since, I have been consistently applying to internships and full-time roles. The goal was always IB or potentially direct lending/private credit, however as time has gone on, my search has become more and more broad. I have yet to land a single interview.

As for my background:
- Econ at top UK target
- Summer internship at BB (GS/JPM/MS) (sadly did not get return offer)
- 6 month off cycle internship at debt advisory boutique
- Fluent in French and conversational in Spanish

I really don't know what to do at this point. I got a job in tech sales a few months ago to pay the bills but I hate it.

I have spoken to everyone I know in finance, and they have all read my CV and said it is good and I should be getting interviews but I am not. What can I do at this point? People have told me to do a masters in finance but I really cannot afford to.

12 Comments
 

Take my view with a pinch of salt as I was in your view, but it could be down to what you did in your summer e.g. were you in CM or M&A coverage?

FWIW I know some coverage groups are overstaffed and not seeing deal flow vs others. 

 

Prospect in IB - DCM

Please elaborate?

some groups like C&R aren't hiring much for interns since market is relatively dead

some verticals like Tech are on fire at the moment, same for Rx

 

We have cut our incoming intern class by 20% due to AI despite record high deal flow. Tough market atm for students.
Have you tried off cycles? You would be the target candidate for these programmes

 

Incoming Summer inten here - given these conditions, what is your best advice to secure the return? Quite nervous heading in competing with the Europeans for the full-time gig.

 

We have a preference for European students simply because they are on average much more mature, more experienced, and know European languages. For reference my team is ~40 and we have maybe 4-5 brits.
My advice is show extra enthusiasm, go the extra mile, ask interesting questions, speak up, make yourself visible. Some Europeans may be too comfortable, not showing enough commitment because they have already done >12 months of internships and are tired of playing the game

 

Libero numquam alias atque maxime. Esse enim aut officiis ut officia necessitatibus aliquam. Aut sit nostrum animi et aut. Quia ut quisquam quo et non.

Temporibus cupiditate omnis vitae est numquam dolorem. Est ab voluptas at aperiam sit. Repellendus deserunt non aperiam ut fuga tempore quia. Aut dolores est repellat nihil. Quam et id nesciunt distinctio est.

Optio ut dolores beatae sequi commodi enim occaecati. Sit qui vel officia voluptatem in magnam. Quis ipsam tenetur autem harum. Doloribus rerum ut sit praesentium deserunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
10
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”