Accepted a 2027 PE offer but want to re-recruit for 2028 role

I accepted a 2027 associate offer at a large-cap buyout fund ($10B+ fund) relatively early, before I had the chance to fully explore recruiting for some other firms.

I don’t plan on reneging and fully intend to start there in 2027. That said, I’m thinking ahead and wondering how feasible (and risky) it is to recruit again for 2028 associate roles, do one year at my 2027 fund, and then move.

A few specific questions I’ve been thinking about:
How risky is this, and if my 2027 firm were to find out I’m recruiting again, how negatively would that be viewed?
When I start speaking with headhunters, should I disclose that I already have a 2027 offer? Does that help (given it’s a solid large-cap fund) or hurt?
More broadly, is this path actually more realistic than trying to lateral later on as a second-year associate?

My thinking is that re-recruiting early might be more structured and give me a better shot at landing at a “dream” fund, rather than relying on more limited lateral opportunities down the line.

Would really appreciate any perspective from people who’ve seen this play out.

4 Comments
 

I haven’t seen this play out personally but don’t feel like it would be feasible — there’s so many more decent candidates than seats, what would be the incentive for a HH / firm to deal with the headache here as opposed to recruiting someone normally from IB? I can’t imagine there’s any good outcome if the firm you have an offer at finds out you’re already mentally out the door (and doing it behind their back) either.  

I have seen a few anecdotal cases of people recruiting as an ASO1, but being willing to repeat the ASO1 year at the new fund, which may be much easier than looking for limited ASO2 lateral spots. You then wouldn’t need to be dodgy with HHs/the firm you have an offer at, and would allow you to maybe at least get some credit for your current offer’s brand (given you have a credible reason to move seats so early like location, switching industry coverages, etc.) 

 
Most Helpful

In enim in enim et nihil qui. Ipsum recusandae et fuga. Deleniti autem error enim modi odio minima ut. Nihil voluptates nemo praesentium et aliquam. Doloribus qui ratione sit molestiae nulla incidunt eos. Iusto et omnis sit laboriosam.

Error eos dignissimos accusamus impedit. Rerum nam facere eius ut quia quisquam et.

Perferendis autem ipsum eum et dolorum nihil rerum. Est possimus asperiores aut mollitia temporibus assumenda dolorem. Et provident voluptatem et. A a eum eaque distinctio aut vitae animi. Quis sequi natus illo consequuntur. Beatae aliquid quis iste. Dolor sint odio veritatis odit enim ea esse.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”