Graduating december 2025 or may 2026, not a single internship, how done am I..?

Quick context: Finance major from a decent 4 year public school, 3.5 GPA, no internship after freshman year, no internship after sophomore either bc I decided to be an exchange student at a top 20 European uni. By the time my semester ends it'll be mid end June and thats too late to join. Externship experience.... not sure if anybody cares for that though. Diversity and yes I've been applying like a madwoman for summer 2025 roles.

Most Helpful

You're eligible for SA25 either way which is recruiting right now... no internships is not great. You could have done even just a short off-cycle internship at school. Also mid-June is definitely not too late, maybe for a BB but most sophomore internships are very small companies that will be flexible with your dates.

With 3.5 and zero internships, you should be targeting MM/regional banks. You're not competitive for BB/EB unless you can land something for this summer very quickly (and you're also late - diversity recruiting already happened).

Are you networking or just applying? Applying is essentially throwing your resume in a black hole, you need to network to get people to push you along in the process

Based on the most helpful WSO content, let's break down your situation and see how "done" you are or, more accurately, how you can leverage your experiences and position yourself for success:

1. Finance Major with a 3.5 GPA: You're in a good spot academically. A 3.5 GPA from a decent 4-year public school is competitive. It shows you have a solid understanding of your coursework and can handle the rigor of a finance program.

2. No Internship Experience: While internships are a significant advantage, their absence doesn't spell doom. You've still got time to secure an internship, especially for summer 2025. The key here is to continue applying aggressively and consider widening your search to include smaller firms, startups, or even non-traditional finance roles that can give you relevant experience.

3. Exchange Student at a Top 20 European Uni: This is a unique experience that can set you apart. Studying abroad demonstrates adaptability, cultural awareness, and the ability to thrive in diverse environments. Highlight these aspects in your applications and interviews. It's not just about the finance skills but also about the soft skills you've developed during your time abroad.

4. Externship Experience: While it might not carry the same weight as an internship, any practical experience is valuable. It shows initiative and a willingness to learn. Be sure to articulate what you learned and how it applies to the roles you're applying for.

5. Diversity: Leverage any diversity-related programs, scholarships, or internships. Many firms are looking to increase diversity within their ranks, and there might be specific opportunities aimed at diverse candidates.

6. Applying for Summer 2025 Roles: It's great that you're already applying for summer 2025 roles. Keep at it, and don't get discouraged by rejections. Networking is crucial, so continue reaching out to alumni, attending finance-related events, and connecting with professionals on LinkedIn. A referral can significantly boost your chances of landing an interview.

In summary, you're not "done" by any means. Focus on leveraging your unique experiences, continue applying and networking, and be open to roles that might not be your first choice but can provide valuable experience. Remember, many successful finance professionals have taken non-linear paths to their current positions. Keep pushing forward, and don't lose hope.

Sources: International Student - Chance of getting an IBD internship in London?, Should I delay graduation for 1 semester or graduate? (Potentially salvageable situation), Missed SA 2019 recruiting - delay graduation for SA 2020?, Junior In College Who Missed Summer 2022 Recruiting, IB Recruitment Timeline for Juniors & Seniors who didn't land a junior-year IB internship

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Voluptas sint voluptatibus cumque magni. Repellat tempore earum dolor animi temporibus porro nesciunt.

Qui animi iste rerum dolorem. Beatae atque quidem sit et. Aperiam nostrum eos repellendus.

Dolorem neque id aut aut numquam. Laboriosam molestias harum porro autem. Ea perspiciatis nesciunt rerum exercitationem. Officiis aut dolorum dolorum quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”