How to lateral for FT 2025

Incoming summer analyst at a top MM in Chicago. I am looking to lateral to an investment bank with better exit ops in either New York (1st option) or Chicago. 

When should I start networking? How do I network and interview during the summer without my team becoming suspicious? Do most banks post applications, or are they mostly referral based? Are the interview questions fairly similar besides the modeling tests?

If there's any thread detailing the lateral process after a SA stint, could anyone please link it? Thank you

Based on the most helpful WSO content, here's a comprehensive guide to help you navigate the lateral process for a full-time (FT) position after your summer analyst (SA) stint, especially when aiming to move from a top middle market (MM) bank in Chicago to a bank with better exit opportunities in New York or Chicago.

When to Start Networking

• Start Early: Some bankers suggest that now is a great time to start networking. It's beneficial to begin building relationships as early as possible, even before your SA stint starts. This early start can give you a significant advantage.

How to Network and Interview Discreetly

• Discretion is Key: When networking and interviewing, it's crucial to be discreet to avoid raising suspicions within your current team. Networking during the internship can be tricky, but focusing on building relationships within and outside the firm without explicitly stating your intentions to lateral can be a strategic approach.
  • Frame Your Intentions Carefully: When discussing potential opportunities with other banks, frame your intentions around seeking a culture fit or looking for specific types of deal experience rather than speaking negatively about your current firm.

Application Process: Referrals vs. Postings

• Combination of Both: The lateral job market often involves a mix of posted applications and referral-based opportunities. Networking can lead to referrals, which are highly valuable. However, actively searching for posted positions on job aggregators like LinkedIn or Indeed is also recommended.

Interview Questions and Modeling Tests

• Similar Questions with Some Differences: Interview questions for lateral positions are generally similar to those for SA positions, focusing on technical skills, fit, and your reasons for wanting to move. However, modeling tests may vary depending on the bank and the specific role you're applying for.

Finding Detailed Threads on the Lateral Process

• Unfortunately, I can't directly link to specific threads, but the Wall Street Oasis platform is a treasure trove of information. Searching for terms like "lateral after SA," "FT recruiting," or "lateral interview process" in the WSO search bar can yield relevant threads. Engaging in these discussions and even reaching out to users who have successfully lateraled can provide you with invaluable insights and advice.

Remember, the key to a successful lateral move is early and strategic networking, being discreet in your search, and thoroughly preparing for interviews. Good luck with your journey from Chicago to potentially New York or staying within Chicago but at a firm with better exit ops!

Sources: SA Lateral, Lateralling Job Market, 20 Most Frequently Asked Questions - London Edition, Guide to Lateraling in 2021, How to Approach Lateral Transfer

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

Quam velit reiciendis temporibus commodi. In ut quisquam voluptatum vel et deserunt modi. Perspiciatis ut officiis voluptate impedit. Cumque voluptas non magni dolores doloribus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”