May 2024 Grad Job Outlook?

Hi everyone,

I’m a soon-to-be grad from a Midwest semi-target school with a bachelors in fin, 2.9 gpa, and experience in appraisals and corporate finance. Really interested in commercial real estate but things aren’t looking promising. I’ve been scouring every hiring platform and expending nearly every lead to line up a job in commercial real estate post graduation. I’ve been in final round interview stages a handful of times just to be rejected from all but one small developer (who has not told me no yet but reminded me they are hiring based on fit and are in no rush).

Only thing lined up currently is a potential internship at an asset management company in a flyover state over the summer, which they told me a return offer is unlikely already. If offered, I’d probably take this role but I’m fearful it would be more difficult to line anything up as a grad with only internship experience at the end of the summer vs right after graduation.

Ideally, I’d like to be an analyst in either development or asset management but I cannot afford to be picky. Any advice on what to do/ where to look? I was planning on getting an Argus certification over winter break as I have an academic license. Also looking at a.cre but not too high on the price tag. Same with naiop.

2 Comments
 

Not going to lie or sugarcoat it, there's a thread on here with 23 grads still having issues finding roles. The market is optimistic right now but not really pushing on Analyst roles, those mainly go through rotational programs from former interns at bigger shops. It's rough there are many people looking for roles now as the job market might start hiring. 

I'd take what you can for now and just network. You never know who you'll meet. 

 

Tempora maiores quis qui sequi eum. Ea ullam dolores corrupti corporis. Quas voluptatem itaque et nostrum doloremque necessitatibus eveniet. Nisi ea tempora voluptas voluptatem dolores ut reiciendis. Eaque debitis non autem sed quia impedit. Similique tempore dolore saepe nesciunt enim. Nostrum tenetur ut unde in magni omnis.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”