12/23/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

What Are You Committed to Learning in 2017?
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

Each year, I endeavor to learn a new skill. Over the years, a number of skills were business related, while a majority were not. The skill that I want to master in 2017 is playing backgammon.

Why would anyone want to go to Wharton for IB?
Post By @thewatermelon1"

Why does the higher caliber of students in Wharton (compared to UVA or UMich) not correlate to a higher number of offers for full-time IB positions?

Q&A: Failed BB SA to Consulting
Post By @banana32"

I am more than happy to answer any questions about the IB recruiting process, things I wish I knew before messing up as an SA, and the transition or overall consulting recruiting process.

Is there HONESTLY a difference in the quality of work between Strategy& (Tier 2 consulting) and MBB?
Post By @twirleight"

I was at a dinner and a very senior person said that at the end of the day, it is all about branding. Tier 2 consulting shops ultimately do the same thing as MBB.

Q&A - Top Tech / Media Corporate Development Associate
Post By @exlurker"

I recently switched to Corporate Development after working 3.5 years in the Tech group of an IB and getting promoted to become an associate. I am a couple months into my new role, and would love to answer any question that you may have.

New Nolan Film
Post By @Going Concern"

The new trailer for the upcoming Nolan film just dropped. I would be lying if I said I was not trembling with excitement. It is becoming clearer that Christopher Nolan is the modern day Stanley Kubrick.

Best UNDERrated Movies
Post By @C.R.E. Shervin"

As we close the year while my Netflix playlist grows, I want to add some good movies that might have been overlooked by critics.

Three Reasons Back Office isn't that bad
Post By @@_KrK"

I know that this forum is very front office IB focused, but I have compiled a list of reasons why the back office is not really that bad. Feel free to give your opinion.

Job Security at Prop Trading (Chicago Based)
Post By @Boynextdoor"

I have been trading successfully at a bank for two decades. I was offered a job at a medium tier proprietary trading firm based in Chicago. The new job allows me $3m margin and $1.5m stop loss. How stable is this job?

Is the SAT important? Wall Street Says Yes.
Post By @steven23234"

Is the SAT such a great measure that it is used to judge people over 7 years after taking it?

MTV has a message for "white guys"
Post By @George Kush"

I just can not figure out whether the people running the show at MTV truly do not know what they are doing, or whether this is some sort of strategy to alienate the same demographic that gave MTV cash inflows in the past.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”