What Are You Committed to Learning in 2017?

This will be my last post of 2016, so before I get into it I just want say thanks for a great year (or half-year) back at WSO. It’s been fun for me to explore some topics with y’all that weren’t necessarily finance related. The caliber of threads and comments really has leveled up over the years.

Now that that’s out of the way, I thought I’d wrap up the year with a little strategy of mine that keeps me motivated about something even when the rest of life is pretty boring and mundane. I’ve already covered my goal setting process around Thanksgiving, so I don’t really call this a goal. I think of it more as personal development.

Each year I endeavor to learn a new skill. Over the years a number of them have been purely business related, but the majority have not. For example, I decided to spend 2016 getting really good at Javascript. I did it at Matt Mullenweg’s suggestion to “learn Javascript deeply.”

I consider programming languages basically equivalent to human languages in value, but fluency in programming languages comes much faster. While I’d still place the priority of a second language on human communications, once you’re bilingual you should devote some time and energy to learning code. It’s just the nature of the world we live in, and it gives you a problem solving framework that extends well beyond computer programming.

I’m changing it up in 2017, though.

I’m a pretty decent poker player. By that I mean that I finish in the money in a decent number of tournaments, and I generally mop up in the $10-$20 no limit games popular down here on the Gulf coast. I’m not in any danger of going pro, but I’ve held my own in some brutal rooms for many years now. In short, it’s a game I know.

Backgammon is pretty much the exact opposite for me, and that’s going to change next year. I’ve been putting it off for far too long, and there’s money to be made. I was especially interested to learn that the world’s best player works for Goldman Sachs.

So the skill I’ll spend 2017 mastering is backgammon. I know we have some players here on WSO, so all tips are appreciated. I am a true beginner, and would like to become a formidable player in a year’s time. If you know of anything I can do to shorten the learning curve, I’m all ears.

This is how I stay motivated year in and year out. No matter where I’m at with respect to my goals (2016 wasn’t a great year for that, to be honest), as long as I’m learning something that I want to know, it gives me the energy to press on. I find it especially helpful if it’s something completely outside of work, too. It provides a much-needed escape from the day to day and gives me a fresh perspective.

I recommend you pick a skill you’d like to master and spend the next year learning it. Again, it’s probably better if it’s something outside your daily routine. Make it something that’s just for you. You’ll learn plenty of work stuff along the way; make this something that makes you a more well-rounded person.

Best Books of 2016

I’ll wrap this up with two book recommendations from the past year. I’d love to be able to say this was the best book I read this year, but these two really are tied for first. They’re completely different books, so if you plan to read them start with the one that sounds more appealing to you. They’re both fantastic.

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind - I list this one first only because I read it earliest in the year. This is one of those rare books which is a learning experience that you just can’t put down. Humans are straight gangster. We likely shared the planet with as many as six humanoid species (cousins, if you will) like the Neanderthals, and we murdered every last one of them. This book might change your point of view on a great many things.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life - This was the hidden gem of the year for me. You could probably classify it as self help, though I’d consider it more akin to lifestyle design. It’s funny as hell, and presents a world view comprised of equal parts Stoicism and Pragmatism. Some of you younger guys should probably still be giving out your fucks, so this one is geared more toward the guys in their 30s and beyond. You can get through it in a weekend, and I found myself wanting to re-read it immediately after finishing it.

I did a lot of reading this year, but those were the cream of the crop. If you’re looking for a fiction recommendation and you’re into narco-thrillers, it’s hard to beat The Cartel by Don Winslow.

Well, that’s it for 2016, monkeys. Have a happy holiday season and for Pete’s sake stay safe. I’ll see you in January!

First of all OP, good job learning how to code in Javascript. As for your book recommendations, Mark Manson is an amazing author who writes quality material, I love his work.

I am going to spend a good portion of 2017 trying to create something with the coding I have learned (mainly Python). No better way of finding out how well you know how to code once you finally have to put the work in and create something out of it.

Another one that combines learning and coding for impact is Free Code Camp. Teaches you a Javascript stack in probably the most in-depth curriculum I've seen online...and it's free. If you make it to the nonprofit project stage, you are a better developer than many CS-educated folks out there.

Get better at sales so I can be better at being a baller.

But in reality, I joined the local environmental team for my town (one of the top 100 wealthiest zip codes in the US -- so they have resources).

I hope to try to convince people to start using Elon Musk's panels and maybe try and get a few Tesla charging stations at around town (there are a lot of Teslas in town) to help promote electric cars.

I know this might sound like a really dumb question but how does someone get better at sales? Especially if they don't yet work in a sales role. I've been reading a book about sales by Zig Ziglar right now but I am wondering what are some ways you can practice your sales skills.

Trying to get good at sales and coding, feels kinda odd to be honest, like I am trying to get good at two skills that seem to be for polar opposite personalities but YOLO!

definitely want to get better at doing things outside. Hiking, fishing, biking, skiing, anything of the like really. I mean i understand most of these things on a fundamental level but to actually learn deeply about them and get good at them would probably yield great benefits for me. Gonna try to view the world as a big playground this year.

Eddie,

Right now, what I want to do is read Douglas Adam's recommended reading list as it discusses influence, which is something I'm definitely interested in - more because it is meant to teach the art of reading people.

Backgammon, however, is a fantastic game. I learned how to play sitting on the porch eating sunflower seeds and learning from Israelis. It's the only game I know of that brings Israelis and Arabs together, so there is something to be said about mastering it.

I have only been cooking for about a year and a half, but I'm entirely self taught just by watching 1-2 minute Gordon Ramsay videos by paying attention to the techniques you can subtly see him use and trying out the dishes myself. I think your books would be a great supplement, and maybe its just because this is the effect of living in a college town, but when word gets out that I'm cooking something literally 10 of my friends will come over. Knowing how to cook is definitely a good feeling though.

This is not a cookbook, but I found Marco White's "White Slave" monumental in elevating my skill and attention to detail in the kitchen. Really gives you some insight into the mindset of a top chef and how uncompromising their regard for fundamentals are.

Best Response

Sil has great suggestions, but I might even suggest you step back a bit further and start with The Four Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss. It's written for total noobs and is meant to get you up to speed (like gourmet level) on a few things very quickly. One of the most valuable takeaways for me was his recommendation of Rada cutlery. Cheap on Amazon, and sharp as all hell. Been a game changer for my meat handling.

Also, his cast iron stuff is pretty critical to learn too.

My wife is a great cook and handles the day to day for the most part, but when the kids see me in the kitchen they know something special is about to happen. Cooking is one of the most basic skills of survival, and getting good at it will probably move the quality-of-life needle for you faster and cheaper than just about anything else you can do.

Personally cook books never resonated with me, what really took my cooking to the next level was Youtube videos. You need to find what channels work for you but one I would recommend 'Brothers Green Eats'. They are two crazy brothers and they have a lot of crap on there with student cooking or recreating menus but just stick to their video section called 'Beginners Guide To Cooking'. Every week say on a Sunday try doing a different countries food, you get small wins quickly and learn different techniques but also you see similarities and build up your equipment and very quickly you have learnt a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt_lOWx8jR_MNAJCbcDuZxh-GouBligY1

Cooking develops organizational skills, the ability to multitask, perseverance, discipline and knowledge (if you are into reading about the origin and reasons behind the ingredients and techniques you use).

**How is my grammar? Drop me a note with any errors you see!**

Duolingo is good, Memrise is also a good resource for timed repetition practice of vocab.

If you want to get tutoring online (typically around 12-25 USD/ hour), italki is a good option.

Lastly, Conversation Exchange is the best resource I have used for finding conversation partners. As long as you live in a metropolitan city in the states, chances are there's someone who knows your target language and wants to improve their English.

Spent 2016 learning VBA and Excel functions for work.

I have taken a liking to statistical analysis, data science, machine learning, etc. and will devote 2017 to R and Python. The holy grail languages for Data Science.

I also want to watch more classic foreign movies. I have a great knowledge of the French New Wave's and Hollywood's history but I plan on getting into more Anime, Italian Neorealist, Danish, and German films.

Lastly, I took a huge break during my first analyst year but its time to start golfing regularly again (when it gets warmer).

I've spent the past 6 months learning + using R for work, once you start getting into it you'll never want to open a spreadsheet again.

My plans for learning over the next year: CFA level 2 for the June exam, learning C++ for building production-scale machine learning applications, and maybe learn another spoken language if I have time, probably German.

Eum et eum voluptas suscipit impedit similique aut. Quia ut reiciendis et a.

Rerum labore pariatur qui aut non pariatur. Officiis enim et est minima magnam. Et et sit assumenda ad libero odit iusto. Quia odit ut dolores aut odit quidem architecto ratione. Nihil dolores est libero esse.

Provident ea sed neque nihil ex nulla velit provident. Est tenetur deleniti aut minima. Magnam doloremque omnis molestiae delectus adipisci voluptatem accusantium.

Facere vero non ut et inventore quia et. Consectetur veritatis quia eligendi. Temporibus nesciunt sed dolor et.

Non quis voluptatem sed corporis non voluptatem harum. Qui id recusandae ut praesentium voluptas autem. Sit consequatur provident iusto itaque aliquam dolore perferendis dicta. Excepturi voluptates blanditiis et. Eum voluptatum aperiam cumque quia et eaque cupiditate.

Sint impedit excepturi dicta commodi ut consequatur exercitationem totam. Vel tempore ut perspiciatis eum amet aliquid ut. Cupiditate nihil non delectus atque fugit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”