As usual, they'll be good at very different things.

The M3 is designed to excel in situations that reward lots of high-speed stability.

The Evo is designed to excel in situations that reward low-speed tight cornering agility and braking capacity.

They also aren't really in the same price bracket, nor are they even really the same category of automobile.

In England the Evo would be for a moderately overweight guy in his 30s who only wears track suits and whose favourite noises are these: "ya wanka!", "come on England" and other phrases regularly punctuated by the F word. Occasionally there will be a baby seat with a toddler hidden under a burberry baseball cap.

Over here the 3 series driver and old M3 driver can have a fairly similar reputation. Only the latest M3 goes.

TheKing:
EVO is for idiot teenagers who have blowout haircuts and shop at A/X. BMW M3s are classy, high performance, elegant machines. Fuck outta here with this shit.

Agreed. Like I said in another thread, try explaining an Evo to your MD...

TheKing:
EVO is for idiot teenagers who have blowout haircuts and shop at A/X. BMW M3s are classy, high performance, elegant machines. Fuck outta here with this shit.

LOL.

http://ayainsight.co/ Curating the best advice and making it actionable.

agree with WanganRunner that they are different.

but to all the status conscious people, I posted this for the sake of a comparison for mostly performance...thanks for the input regarding how girls and other people would find you if you were driving one, but really not my intention to discuss.

one advantage the evo has is that it's a 4x4, better in northern areas - a consideration pour moi.

It isn't only status issues that I mean...it's just that the M3 is significantly more elegant looking. The lines of the car are just much cleaner and smoother. The EVO to me just is too loud, the wing is absurd and it's a bit boxy. It just seems to try to hard to convince you that it's fast...whereas the M3 is sleek with some subtle cues that it can thrash most cars on the road.

the evo is cheap speed, hands down m3 is the superior machine, its fine german engineering and if your picking up some hottie she would much rather be riding in an m3 than a prop car from the fast and the furious

kynnad316:
the evo is cheap speed, hands down m3 is the superior machine, its fine german engineering and if your picking up some hottie she would much rather be riding in an m3 than a prop car from the fast and the furious

thanks for the tip, ari gold. i'll keep it in mind when i go to the dry cleaners next.

The Evo isn't trying to "look fast". It's designed the way it is for a reason.

The wing does create meaningful downforce. Try removing it and going 90mph on the highway, you'll be all over the road. Normal sports cars accomplish this by lowering, but Evos/STI's can't do this because they are intended to run on imperfect surfaces (i.e. gravel). Hence the enormous wing.

As for the "boxiness", the Evo needs to be based off a vanilla 4-cyl mass-production passenger car to be eligible to race in WRC (Rally). Outside of the US, the Evo's appeal is largely dependent on Mitsu's Rally success, and so they need to keep the car eligible. This is also why it has stayed 2.0L, etc...

The huge flares are also there for a reason, as they again can't materially modify the chassis/unibody due to WRC compliance issues. Thus, they just flare it out so that they can mount the wide tires the Evo needs to perform the way it does.

It goes on and on, but ultimately the Evo is probably the greatest example of "function over form" in modern auto design, save perhaps the Ariel Atom or something.

It may sound like I've got a huge boner for the things, but I really don't. I'm not a fan of AWD sports cars, and I'd only entertain owning one if I lived in an area that made a RWD sports car impractical (i.e. lots of snow). I used to own an STI but I sold it.

Between the 2, I'd rather have the M3, but not because it "gets chicks". It's too bad all the bimmers have obnoxious traction control/driver assist devices though. Ruins all the fun.

Give me a late 1980's Porsche 964 Turbo any day. Air-cooled, no TC, just like God intended.

Best Response
WanganRunner:
The Evo isn't trying to "look fast". It's designed the way it is for a reason.

The wing does create meaningful downforce. Try removing it and going 90mph on the highway, you'll be all over the road. Normal sports cars accomplish this by lowering, but Evos/STI's can't do this because they are intended to run on imperfect surfaces (i.e. gravel). Hence the enormous wing.

As for the "boxiness", the Evo needs to be based off a vanilla 4-cyl mass-production passenger car to be eligible to race in WRC (Rally). Outside of the US, the Evo's appeal is largely dependent on Mitsu's Rally success, and so they need to keep the car eligible. This is also why it has stayed 2.0L, etc...

The huge flares are also there for a reason, as they again can't materially modify the chassis/unibody due to WRC compliance issues. Thus, they just flare it out so that they can mount the wide tires the Evo needs to perform the way it does.

It goes on and on, but ultimately the Evo is probably the greatest example of "function over form" in modern auto design, save perhaps the Ariel Atom or something.

It may sound like I've got a huge boner for the things, but I really don't. I'm not a fan of AWD sports cars, and I'd only entertain owning one if I lived in an area that made a RWD sports car impractical (i.e. lots of snow). I used to own an STI but I sold it.

Between the 2, I'd rather have the M3, but not because it "gets chicks". It's too bad all the bimmers have obnoxious traction control/driver assist devices though. Ruins all the fun.

Give me a late 1980's Porsche 964 Turbo any day. Air-cooled, no TC, just like God intended.

Yeah, this is all very true. I just think it looks pretty bad. Just my thoughts. Also, you can turn off the traction control and what not in the M3.

TheKing:
Yeah, this is all very true. I just think it looks pretty bad. Just my thoughts. Also, you can turn off the traction control and what not in the M3.

Can you? I know in the old 330i (E46) sedan it never really "turned off". I've driven an E46 M3, but only in traffic in normal conditions, never really pushed one very hard. I didn't fiddle with the TC at the time.

I remember being really disappointed with the Z33 (350Z) as you can turn it off, but it turns itself back on when the tires start to slip.

Which, obviously, sucked.

I thought the M3 was the same way, guess not. That's good to know, I should go borrow someone's and drive the snot out of it, lol.

Quia est omnis iure quaerat nihil. Perferendis ipsum aut aliquid quia laboriosam nulla. In temporibus deleniti sed ratione. Iusto qui et ullam aut consequatur. Mollitia facilis quaerat hic.

Ipsa minus molestias deleniti sit voluptatum animi. Laudantium qui facilis fugit aliquam quos consequuntur cum. Eveniet voluptatum neque nihil ullam quo voluptas. Culpa pariatur quibusdam itaque repellat et enim.

Fugiat illo placeat nulla. Adipisci et aut earum in alias officiis tenetur. Est corrupti est facere numquam. Ex et dolores distinctio soluta similique ad. Et et officia dolore animi unde quaerat sint dolor. Ipsa vel non doloribus sunt velit. Voluptatem sed inventore et iure.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Repellendus dolorem exercitationem voluptatem est cupiditate quo autem. In quo recusandae velit ut repudiandae natus. Minus consequatur voluptatum corporis. Cum odit reiciendis aliquid eligendi.

Consequatur est vel sunt accusantium illum porro enim. Explicabo ut consectetur et ullam eveniet. Velit minus rerum nemo cumque iusto. Id veritatis dolor iure laboriosam ut. Voluptatibus nobis sunt voluptatibus occaecati qui.

Fugit deserunt consequuntur in delectus vel totam libero. Quidem temporibus laboriosam illum temporibus. Ipsa recusandae maiores officiis a. At deserunt odit vitae maiores dolorem delectus aut. Aut et in facilis ea delectus quasi.

Nemo asperiores at quo tempore iure. Molestiae ab rem in porro aut dolorem veniam. Magni vel nulla sit incidunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”