350k Income WFH but stressful vs start a company 20% ownership 1M capital?

Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted

Lol so $1m in VC capital couldn’t pay the other salary if that was the only expense and you were the only employee for even 3 years

Basically a complete garage startup

Not necessarily bad - but just so you know what you’re signing up for…

Most Helpful

Absolutely the $350k job. Hard to get a higher paying job in tech right now, but it's cyclical... if you can hang onto your role for a few years the startup and tech market might be booming again and you can level up. Maybe get some other skills in the meantime.

In finance it'd be a major conflicts issue to work 2 competing jobs and I imagine the same in SWE. I wouldn't take two jobs without clear disclosure to both firms.

$1M in VC is pennies especially being given little equity ownership. That might be worth the gamble and few years of eating ramen if you were the founder and had 50%+ ownership but in the current state I would forget about it in this startup environment. Funding is going to continue to be incredibly hard to come by in the next few years. Timing is everything in startup land and this is terrible timing.

Array

corporate_slave

Maybe, I've heard the argument that very early stage capital is as easy as ever to get, since the time horizon in so long. Supposedly its not more difficult to raise seed/series A right now

VC funding has definitely dropped from last year. Higher rates and constant cries of impending recession definitely have people pulling back. Any firm with floating rate debt is also going to be scrutinized a lot more heavily than they were in the past.

corporate_slave

You can barely afford a 1.5M dollar house on 350k. Which yeah is expensive, but thats a decent home in a lot of major metro areas. 350k with a family is not wealthy, you really need to save aggressively for that money to stack up meaningfully. 

for those making $350K per year...

Am I A Joke To You GIF

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

corporate_slave

You can barely afford a 1.5M dollar house on 350k. Which yeah is expensive, but thats a decent home in a lot of major metro areas. 350k with a family is not wealthy, you really need to save aggressively for that money to stack up meaningfully. 

This is so dumb.  Of course you need to save.  No one is wealthy on the back of a single year's salary!  Since you're talking VC, lets assume you live in San Francisco.  Your take home pay is going to be like 215k.  A two bedroom seems to rent for ~4,000/mo.  Call it 50 grand a year.  If you save 75k every year and make a pretty reasonable 7.5% return, you're going to end up pretty damn wealthy.  That is assuming no raises, no bonuses, no nothing.  Also assuming your spouse doesn't have an income.

This idea that you should expect to be worth 8 figures by the time you're 35 is absolutely insane.  You are chasing some one in a million moonshot to become hyper wealthy at a very young age, when you're staring down the barrel of an insanely high salary which will absolutely give you a ton of financial freedom by the time you get anywhere close to middle age!

20% equity for an employee?  WTF is this? We have allocated 10% equity for the entire key employee pool at my company.  I think you need to understand what is actually going on here. 

After having read the comments here is seems like none of you have any understanding around equity distribution in the start up world.

Nam in non occaecati ipsum adipisci odit. Laboriosam quia impedit quo est ut id. Distinctio voluptatem corporis et optio placeat consequatur quae aliquid.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”