Best NES Games (1985)

Yes, that NES. It's a family Thanksgiving tradition that we break out the old console and whoop up on some games. About a decade ago the console stopped working well and we obtained some ROMs with an online emulator. A zip file of 700+ games accompanies said emulator. What are some good games to rip up while we let that turkey digest? Here is what we've tore up in the past.

1. Contra (can beat straight up, no codes)
  2. Mario 3 (We've beat this straight up; no warping. Never could beat Mario 2. Can beat Mario 1 straight up; no warping)
  3. Ice Hockey
  4. Tecmo Super Bowl
  5. John Elway's Quarterback
  6. Battletoads (fun, but wicked hard)
  7. TMNT Tournament Fighters
  8. Original Zelda
  9. Tetris
  10. Excitebike
  11. Mike Tyson Punch Out
  12. Kirby
  13. RC Pro Am
  14. Lode Runner
  15. Wrestlemania
  16. Micromachines

I'm sure there are others. It's intense among the brothers and brother's in law.

Comments (37)

3y
WolfofWSO, what's your opinion? Comment below:
ironman32:
Original ninja turtles game was hard as a four year old...looked up the ending recently on Youtube

I don't know if it's an age thing, but I always felt that NES games were harder compared to other console games. For instance, when N64 came out I beat Starfox the 3rd or 4th time I played it. I beat Cruisin' USA in the same manner. I was never able to pass Level 3 on Ghosts and Goblins on NES.

Array

3y
CRE, what's your opinion? Comment below:
WolfofWSO:
I don't know if it's an age thing, but I always felt that NES games were harder compared to other console games.

100%. Lack of or poor saving mechanisms, glitchy/cheap coding at times, and a lack of pandering to the mass market.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

7mo
IncomingIBDreject, what's your opinion? Comment below:

People have gotten softer since then. We live in the age of participation trophies.

Array

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
3y
MangoTang:
No love for original Super Mario Bros.?

That's on there, #2.

Array

3y
MangoTang, what's your opinion? Comment below:

My bad, didn't read the text in parentheses.

I always get a kick out of what people play that would move the entire controller the direction when they wanted their player to go.

You bring back a lot of memories. I will have to bust out my NES. Super Contra is the best NES game ever.

Most Helpful
3y
Isaiah_53_5 πŸ’ŽπŸ™ŒπŸ’ŽπŸ™ŒπŸ’Ž, what's your opinion? Comment below:
  • Duck Hunt
  • Donkey Kong
  • Gradius
  • Mega Man
  • Castlevania
  • Galaga

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

3y
Synergy_or_Syzygy, what's your opinion? Comment below:
  • DuckTales
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.
3y

Oh snap! Anyone ever play this game? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_Kid

Array

3y
Nightman Cometh, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Nothing to add since I'm too young but that sounds like a really fun Thanksgiving tradition. Maybe find stuff the Angry Video Game Nerd guy on youtube has reviewed.

Dayman?
3y
C.R.E. Shervin:
Contra Super Mario Bros Super Mario Bros 3 Punch-Out Ninja Gaiden Duck Hunt Castlevania Teenage Ninja Turles II(Number 1 was way too hard) Shadowgate

Duck Hunt doesn't work on the emulator, sad.

TMNT is legit. I never could beat the first game, my neighbor was able to. I beat the second one with the code I still somehow remember, ba ba up down ba, left right, ba start.

Array

1y
loanboy043, what's your opinion? Comment below:

I have an SNES and NES ROM on my computer (and have the games on Wii/Nintendo switch too. Here's what I like

-Donkey Kong Country (DKC 1)- I finished in under 1 hour (55 or 56 min, I challenge ANYONE to try and race me head to head, I'll destroy u)

-Donkey Kong 2 & 3

-Megaman X

-Megaman X2 (much harder than X, but doable, I love the epic Megaman vs. Zero battle immediately prior to the final boss. And love the music. Very tough battle 1st time. https://youtu.be/oQUDgacejNw)

-Megaman X3 (altho not as fun

-Megaman Soccer

-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1 of my favs)

-Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

-Super Mario World

-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

7mo
JimmieGeisOPeq, what's your opinion? Comment below:

I have to say that the NES has defined my career into adulthood. As a kid, I knew that video games were something special and that when I grew up, I wanted to create them. I had the misconception that a career in making video games meant a career in playing video games

6mo
hananburgh, what's your opinion? Comment below:

This is the perfect list of games. I have passed almost all of them. Nostalgia goes deep into my bones. However, I would add Diablo to this roster. It is the benchmark of the RPG genre. I think nothing will overshadow this masterpiece. I sometimes play it online even now. I like the opportunity to purchase new weapons and armor. I updated the helmed at yesgamer.com last week. Btw, Diablo is more than a game for me. It is another world where I can live another life. This happened to me. I played it for 8-10 hours a day.

27d
theAudiophile, what's your opinion? Comment below:
  1. Contra
  2. Tecmo Super Bowl
  3. Original Zelda
  4. Tetris
  5. Mike Tyson Punch Out
  6. Micromachines
  7. Castlevania
  8. Tecmo Baseball

Pick your order, but those would be my picks for your upcoming Thanksgiving tradition.

6d

I like it how this thread comes around every thanksgiving.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

6d

Dolores repellendus sapiente qui unde harum laudantium molestiae. Beatae qui autem et quis blanditiis ut. Reiciendis dolore temporibus sed eaque facere eos. Officiis rerum non vel voluptatibus aliquam ducimus alias sit. Recusandae aperiam omnis velit ut praesentium vitae. Est animi eligendi enim. Ut animi neque iste quos voluptas.

Array

6d

Quaerat optio ex distinctio qui eligendi aut perspiciatis. Beatae debitis ut est earum in nisi sed et.

Eum soluta veniam et qui minus et aut. Rerum dolorem ut aut sed temporibus eos consequuntur. Quis repellat cumque hic fugit aut. Harum velit voluptates voluptate sint. Consequatur animi placeat et quibusdam rerum blanditiis. Sequi porro est qui numquam perferendis enim quia. Explicabo possimus ipsam velit autem pariatur.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

November 2022 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company (β–²08) 99.6%
  • Lincoln International (= =) 99.3%
  • Financial Technology Partners (+ +) 98.9%
  • Evercore (β–½01) 98.5%
  • Bank of America Merrill Lynch (β–²01) 98.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

November 2022 Investment Banking

• PJT Partners (= =) 99.6%
  • Evercore (β–²02) 99.3%