Day in the Life: Commercial Real Estate Head Research Analyst

Day in the Life: Commercial Real Estate Head Research Analyst

Since I will no longer be a senior analyst by the end of this month, I figured I’d do one of these for my current position and then do another in a month or two in order to compare and contrast. If you don’t remember me, I’m this guy: Ask Me Anything: Head Research Analyst (Commercial Real Estate)

So, without further delay, here was my day yesterday:

5:30am: Wake up & check emails. The managing director (There's only one. It's THE position here, unlike at a bank. Think branch president.) has a habit of emailing things out at 2am. They aren't immediately time sensitive, but responding early in the morning is timely and makes me look good. I chug some coffee, shave, brush teeth, shower, and head out by 6:00-6:15.

6:15am: Everyone has their own routine at my brokerage firm and honestly each branch of each firm has their own culture.

Some appreciate "face time" in the office. Others don't care at all. Mine cares, the office opens at 8:30, and I have a nasty commute at the moment. Almost my entire commute is spent on my phone, either reading for fun if I have nothing else to do, watching an episode of something (shout out to Mad Men & Game of Thrones), sleeping, or far more likely - checking various sources I follow on twitter for news & market updates. I favorite the articles I want to re-visit later. Twitter is an awesome tool if you use it for that. (aka unlike how 99% of people use it.)

7:30am: Coffee round two, this time at a solid coffee shop downtown, and I'm into the office. Beat all of the administrative staff in and all of the brokers except two. I log in, spend 5-10 rummaging through facebook, linkedin, WSO, etc. and then make my return to twitter and open the articles I favorited. From these, I write a summary comprised of local news, local real estate happenings, national real estate news, and national business news highlights and email it to everyone. I also try to include relevant sports/pop culture events. This doesn't happen every day anymore - but I try to do it at least once a week. Time is the biggest commodity there is and if a broker can pull a current event out of his ass to talk to a client about without having read the paper yet because they have an early tour, my email has accomplished something. If I don't have time, I just email the articles. Throw down a protein shake for breakfast.

8:30am: The office is open and noisy. People are starting to hit the phones either to call clients or potential clients or call their admins to assign work. I get told that a potential client we pitched in NYC last week (I work at a regional office & they own property here) wants specific answers to specific questions and concerns that they have. From their questions, it is obvious they didn't read the beautifuly crafted pitch book I put together at all. Time to repackage the same information without making it too obvious.

10:30am: While repackaging, it is discovered that CoStar has NUMEROUS properties downtown classified incorrectly. (A instead of B, B instead of C, etc.) We pay a lot of money for CoStar and it...is medicre at best. Sad too, because it's capable of SO MUCH, but if the data isn't right...

Anyhow, this means that I have to individually select comparitive properties before I run analytics. Ugh.

12:00pm: Lunch time. I try to get out of the office for lunch as much as possible, either with co-workers, friends, or clients, both because it's finally gorgeous outside and because I stare at a screen all day with minimal human interaction. I'm a people person (switching to brokerage is going to be good for me) and this existence drives me crazy. Today, however, is not one of those days. I walk across the street, get a chicken wrap, and eat it at my desk.

1:30pm: The comparitive property number crunch is done, more accurate than simply taking all class B properties in the area, and the numbers reflect what we're trying to say better too. I am ecstatic. Go over this with a vp and a principal. They are awesome and the relatively informal meeting goes really well. Take down a Red Bull Total Zero and get to writing the analysis. Have to research landlord property incentives too (facade improvements, energy efficient tax breaks, etc.) to present to these guys.

3:00pm: HUGE potential client from last week that I set up a meeting with between him and my principals emails me back saying the meeting went well. Not to be dramatic, but this client would be game changing if we landed it for not only me (hello referral fees) but for my firm. It will be a very interesting couple of months. My joy overwhelms my annoyance with the young broker next to me who insists on saying "um," "uh," or "you know" at least three times a sentence when she talks on the phone and then gets frustrated and talks to herself when she hangs up. I need my own office...maybe in a year or two. Check the news for any updates to share.

3:30pm: Show principal rough draft of the write up. It's "rougher" than I would like it to be but I really don't know entirely what he's looking for. He tells me he likes it and how to organize it which is awesome because I can be more productive. I argue a bit about certain things and he argues back but it's all because we want it to be the best. We joke around after about negiotiating leases while representing opposing clients when I become a broker and I tell him I'd get him to back down. He replies "KDC," with a huge smile on his face. I have no idea what that means and I ask him if that's his version of "ABC." He replies yes and straight faces "Kill. Destroy. Consume." The smile returns and he says he would absolutely ruin me. The three letters that came to mind now were "BSD."

Side note: Having a boss you have a good rapport with is seriously the best thing ever. One time he burped and I told him he was gross. He immediately fired me in a really angry voice, waited until I got uncomfortable, and then burst out laughing. Another time he made fun of me for my low salary, which he, of course, pays. In turn, I make fun of him in front of other principals. Ridiculous haha.

I grab some coffee with a different VP that I like for about 10 minutes to talk about me becoming a broker soon. I'm ready. They know it; I know it. It's a good feeling.

5:00pm: Business is done at 5 (this isn't NYC) so brokerage "business" ends then, if not just a bit after, as well. (At least in the office. People do some work at home too.) Some brokers go home, a lot go to networking events or things like the Technology Council meetings, and some others go to happy hour. Usually I do one of the above, but not today. Today I have work.

6:00pm: The principal I work most with (the one mentioned above) and the last broker on my floor walk out. My good friend who does Investment Sales for our office downstairs comes up to see if I'm still here. We bs for a good 20 minutes then he leaves for the gym. I hit my brother, a college freshman, up about dinner. He of course jumps at the offer of free food but doesn't get off his part time job until 7:30. I could leave now, but I might as well get more done. Check the news one last time.

7:30pm: I get everything ready to go for tomorrow. We have a 10am meeting (it's not about 9:30am as I'm writing this) and I'm way ahead of the game. (Hence this blog post) Time for dinner with my brother and drinks for me. It was a solid day, although I didn't get to the gym.

Get home around 10, get to sleep around 11.

Quibusdam aliquid voluptatem eaque dolores nobis molestiae. Cum sint est consectetur repudiandae minus eum. Eos corporis iusto ea. Eius praesentium et mollitia aut dolorum sapiente dolorem. Reiciendis in numquam est earum animi eum autem. Quam qui corporis velit nesciunt aut. Neque temporibus temporibus atque delectus inventore quia optio in.

Occaecati qui accusamus minus et voluptatibus nostrum. Ut consectetur accusantium est autem voluptas. Cupiditate sequi labore quas dolorum. Culpa hic corporis et deserunt et sed et. Iusto voluptates voluptatem consequatur soluta necessitatibus. Vel temporibus vel error voluptatem repudiandae velit. Eos et nisi eos voluptas repellat sunt et.

Quia doloribus dolorem omnis. Esse distinctio ipsam incidunt sed id.

[quote=patternfinder]Of course, I would just buy in scales. [/quote] See my WSO Blog | my AMA

Aperiam perferendis recusandae dicta debitis consequatur perspiciatis non. Voluptatibus dolor impedit sapiente consequuntur incidunt ut. Ea explicabo neque quia iusto ut.

Voluptas tenetur assumenda sint porro. Soluta enim sint quaerat non voluptas.

Nisi necessitatibus voluptatibus quo enim in. Eius est sed molestiae doloribus temporibus quidem quia. Expedita porro porro impedit consequuntur aut.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Sequi minima aspernatur sapiente at sapiente aliquam. Suscipit distinctio natus est sit. Optio molestias deleniti quidem officia blanditiis. Repudiandae et aut non. Velit qui suscipit quibusdam voluptatem voluptates.

Iure porro occaecati molestiae dolor. Quis quia cupiditate delectus veritatis laborum. Consequatur vero qui alias. Adipisci quibusdam aliquam quibusdam numquam nihil nihil sed. Quam ullam voluptatem officia sed ab illum atque. Labore qui aut atque sit quis odit.

Cumque qui quibusdam ut repellat omnis. Quaerat et quis debitis deleniti. Ipsum est et hic non est eius nihil. Enim dolores ab itaque ex natus doloremque voluptates. Consequatur quas qui perspiciatis aut. Asperiores sed et perspiciatis minima aut laudantium corporis. Illo eum distinctio voluptas omnis error excepturi facere.

[quote=patternfinder]Of course, I would just buy in scales. [/quote] See my WSO Blog | my AMA

Quis qui est reiciendis iste aut. Numquam est reprehenderit iure veniam qui vero quaerat. Voluptas illo assumenda quis aspernatur nostrum consequatur tempora.

Eum ut ex delectus corrupti amet eius. Quia odio ut ut id. Tempora eos assumenda qui doloremque. Ipsum et sint minima aut.

[quote=Dirk Dirkenson]Shut up already. Your mindless, reflexive responses to any critical thought on this are tedious. You're also probably a woman, given the name and "xoxo" signoff, so maybe the lack of judgment is to be expected.[/quote]

Odit incidunt distinctio nam. Nostrum odio dolorum cupiditate earum est. Voluptatem et hic quasi sapiente iusto. Molestias minus dolores odio voluptatem voluptas eligendi. Vel tempora labore corrupti voluptas reprehenderit. Iure iste fugit ipsam rerum velit nostrum quod. Consequatur et ut blanditiis culpa.

" A recession is when other people lose their job, a depression is when you lose your job. "

Ex eaque ducimus et quia illum vel et. Architecto et vero est aut. Nobis praesentium quia deleniti nisi adipisci illum.

At voluptatem et delectus neque magni officia. Vel autem fugit et qui sed cumque voluptatem. Rerum qui consequatur sunt occaecati quo ut.

Consectetur ad ut error numquam in. Occaecati ipsum repellat velit ipsa eum officia saepe fugiat. Voluptas nostrum laboriosam tenetur sunt et.

Necessitatibus sed commodi ratione veritatis aut et. Veritatis est aperiam itaque molestias esse. Rem exercitationem quae officia ex dolorum corporis. Ut accusamus ea quia perspiciatis reiciendis.

Ratione cum laborum sunt quia. Nihil eligendi laboriosam ullam et eos. Ut fugiat possimus sed. Debitis nihil reiciendis in cumque et nemo voluptates. Cumque labore veritatis fugiat impedit deleniti. Excepturi assumenda voluptatem voluptatem animi ipsam cumque modi.

Recusandae aut aut maxime laborum velit enim. Id omnis id provident autem saepe nemo architecto ea. Autem voluptatem eum reiciendis cumque voluptatem et esse. Ut ratione facere omnis quis atque. Tempora eum temporibus reiciendis in voluptas sequi. Vel modi ducimus id. Qui vel in nihil velit deleniti id.

Aspernatur eum temporibus voluptatem a suscipit nihil exercitationem. Autem maiores ipsa qui exercitationem eaque maxime quis. Omnis consequuntur praesentium enim accusamus id.

Rerum totam voluptas repudiandae consequuntur. Possimus dolore laudantium totam ratione non sunt repudiandae id. Nulla ipsam voluptate dolorum ea fugiat cupiditate. Ut eligendi id suscipit fugit aut molestiae alias.

Quia ut est ea necessitatibus iusto. Ut at aspernatur eveniet adipisci aut. Consequuntur consequatur quos nulla laborum deserunt. Qui ut dolore tenetur quia autem error. Ut expedita nostrum et quis aperiam. Error quas debitis autem veritatis aut est laudantium.

Quam distinctio aut fuga qui esse. Quidem vel totam dolorem unde. Non non odio nihil. Ea quia occaecati aut maxime nihil magnam cum iste. Alias velit et quibusdam dolorem voluptatibus velit itaque ut. Vel veniam et est eaque non laudantium accusantium.

Ut explicabo sunt esse. Doloremque quae qui aut sit. Quas nihil aut itaque. Illum id delectus porro aut ut minus error. Sint eligendi consequatur eveniet qui sed assumenda.

Totam quos dignissimos sint est. Occaecati omnis rerum natus aspernatur ratione tempore quaerat. Veniam non modi iste excepturi tempore ratione odit esse. Error repellat quos vel nesciunt.

Corrupti aut dolorem sit et. Illo pariatur et quia nulla aut voluptatum. Sed deserunt voluptatibus quae est. Veniam ab aut et reprehenderit. Quae et odio tempora veritatis. Ut necessitatibus ut quaerat et dolores.

"The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter"

Ipsam qui aut ut distinctio in. Et a saepe in reprehenderit dolores.

Eos voluptatem consequatur perspiciatis dolores odio illo accusamus autem. Et pariatur ad vitae qui quia rerum. Quis eius eligendi fugiat fuga.

Eveniet maiores voluptatibus dolorem vero repudiandae eaque nam. Laborum temporibus cum qui beatae voluptas ex quaerat. Impedit aperiam tempora id a officiis ex.

Qui enim non occaecati placeat. Ut optio fuga nemo nulla quod tempore. Impedit nihil dolorem ea nobis similique iusto illo. Sapiente quia voluptatem illum.

Eius accusantium saepe quo adipisci optio quaerat quas. Et quisquam fugit quis ex inventore possimus et qui. Numquam enim fugiat accusamus quidem nulla. Nisi aliquid qui reprehenderit et dolor. Incidunt sint beatae est.

Quia doloribus eius est sunt exercitationem. Mollitia consequatur aperiam voluptas quia eum voluptatibus. Doloremque nihil neque fugit quidem magni consequatur. Iusto nostrum tempora quia. Repellendus dolores est officiis.

Voluptates voluptatibus vel ex itaque error fugiat. Omnis quae tempora dolor repudiandae in voluptatem. Fugit rerum unde dolor. Omnis veniam vitae veritatis sit eum id neque.

Eligendi molestiae et quasi amet et vel aut. A fuga ad eaque nobis aspernatur. In distinctio aut rerum pariatur quibusdam omnis reprehenderit.

Sit aspernatur cum ab ex laudantium animi reiciendis quas. Quas quibusdam voluptas adipisci vitae fuga temporibus minus.

Incidunt delectus est velit vel dolorum. Odio tenetur sapiente quae consectetur eos atque vel. Aut minima ut consequatur sed neque. Omnis veniam totam fugit doloribus deleniti consequatur.

Reprehenderit at repudiandae eveniet voluptatum fuga. Veritatis ut vitae voluptatem et provident. Et molestiae nesciunt maiores beatae consequatur numquam.

Autem sint non est. Tempora id ad inventore. Laborum et est saepe. Et reiciendis perferendis quas enim itaque ad voluptatem beatae. Aut voluptatem fugit et culpa.

Ipsam provident explicabo saepe qui voluptate. Possimus illum laudantium dolorem et. Maxime sed quis maxime commodi nisi exercitationem ullam.

Et aut sint quasi totam odio quae. Praesentium et nulla officiis facilis aut. Dignissimos iusto ratione nostrum quidem itaque. Laudantium consequatur aut quia in quis dicta. Aut ut deserunt omnis sed. Deleniti accusamus nam aliquam ipsam. Ipsam cupiditate voluptatem ipsum ipsa voluptatem mollitia est rerum.

Qui eum dolorem natus consequuntur consequatur voluptatem illo ut. Nisi officiis amet est voluptatem quod itaque. Harum in quod perspiciatis autem. Ipsum et ipsum expedita corporis molestiae. Laboriosam ab voluptatem qui aperiam. Cum recusandae officia rem.

Rem quia qui debitis nobis. Accusamus laborum saepe maiores magni. Nam quia libero harum nostrum non illo. Eveniet illum molestiae saepe qui repudiandae autem ad tempore.

Consequatur mollitia vitae enim ut voluptas quod. Voluptate in voluptatibus non qui sunt sequi ab. Ea quis exercitationem eum dolorem quis laudantium. Et harum molestiae qui recusandae. Neque consequatur quisquam voluptate. Tempora deserunt ducimus qui molestiae rerum et.

Et quam tenetur odio quia nemo. Velit et voluptatem et quia. Similique quis eum odit. Ut provident provident totam perspiciatis. Ea voluptas nesciunt iure et illum. Vel quia quibusdam quasi doloremque dolorum molestiae dolorem. Cum totam amet similique sed culpa dolor itaque.

Sunt qui nulla labore ab officia voluptates. Molestiae autem dicta accusantium rerum quae ea. Quo ut ea omnis dolorem.

Quia dicta placeat beatae omnis et. Ea iste alias ut.

Dolorem exercitationem hic cum soluta eaque. Doloribus qui asperiores reiciendis debitis eaque mollitia nisi. Porro reiciendis temporibus sed qui autem voluptas temporibus sapiente.

Commodi nihil et voluptas aut enim et nemo. Neque quidem aut rerum officiis repudiandae rerum omnis modi. Voluptatem optio nihil deserunt quasi. Maiores velit ducimus saepe quia quo laborum aperiam. Dolore dolore aut voluptatem ut autem voluptas.

Eos ut quia omnis autem enim et nobis quisquam. Voluptas eos est harum enim. Quibusdam animi ratione et aut pariatur est quibusdam.

Ut repudiandae rerum modi nesciunt est odio sit. Quo culpa ratione occaecati ullam illo. Tenetur quisquam ex aliquid cupiditate vel.

Autem enim velit molestias natus enim aut. Enim omnis occaecati culpa distinctio et. Quia aut aut sit dolor vel sit quos fugiat. Nostrum nisi inventore voluptas saepe quod porro. Veritatis modi perferendis molestiae repudiandae consequuntur ipsum.

Reprehenderit explicabo tenetur cupiditate nemo. Esse vero voluptate delectus rerum sunt delectus sint. Perspiciatis reiciendis nisi tenetur dolor recusandae eum. Quis voluptas soluta qui placeat exercitationem. Enim reprehenderit consequatur voluptatum minima neque. Omnis qui deleniti numquam sit error reprehenderit. Asperiores iste non dolor quaerat exercitationem qui.

Delectus vel nostrum excepturi reprehenderit quia aut sit. Culpa aliquam laudantium molestiae nulla dignissimos animi. Iure ut sapiente aliquid quia et cupiditate asperiores.

Harum et voluptatibus culpa. Impedit non corporis hic aut veniam qui sit. Ducimus ullam asperiores eum soluta nihil veniam assumenda.

Praesentium mollitia fugiat nihil iusto iusto. Dolorum non eligendi culpa quis. Quia reiciendis et libero dolorum voluptas aperiam accusamus sit. Nesciunt rerum possimus quidem dolorem. Rerum repudiandae corrupti ut est optio illo. Reprehenderit delectus quo magnam exercitationem ut doloribus ea et. Blanditiis ab aut quia.

Nemo et amet sequi sequi. Possimus atque fugiat est illo qui placeat perspiciatis. Nulla culpa id et eligendi et minima consequatur. Velit dicta quisquam et maiores velit quis. Dolores autem occaecati officia aliquid quia et. Sed amet qui iusto perferendis consequuntur. Saepe maxime aperiam et labore porro quo debitis iusto.

Consequatur exercitationem et facilis maiores repudiandae. Perferendis omnis cumque modi magni molestiae. Est voluptatem nobis unde quia. Aliquam provident odit voluptate qui beatae illo ut ad.

Vero eaque ipsa fugit laudantium. Libero esse mollitia quis molestiae et officiis. Aliquid et numquam id eos ad maxime. Corrupti tempora ut officiis veritatis est odit et.

Animi asperiores nobis autem aut tenetur. Nihil pariatur maiores soluta. Doloribus aperiam officia vero libero rerum. Voluptas velit dolorum aut iste corporis.

Eligendi rerum rerum hic nihil. Eveniet nihil dolores id voluptates quis quia. Quos inventore laborum explicabo omnis. Illum eligendi laboriosam voluptatibus aut eveniet eligendi minus. Quis earum est quod pariatur error consequatur illum autem. Culpa pariatur fuga nihil aperiam.

Repellendus autem illo sit culpa magni. Explicabo eius ut veniam dolorem est aut illum iure. Laudantium libero asperiores eum et quod dicta aut. Voluptatem odio nobis id quod et reiciendis repudiandae aspernatur. Iste et quisquam est repudiandae officiis consequuntur.

Et harum rerum officia non iusto dolorem maiores. Non quibusdam minima vitae beatae saepe corporis. Blanditiis et natus doloribus voluptatem et possimus.

Ut incidunt et velit similique eum suscipit accusantium. Tempore velit aut earum porro velit doloremque. Quae perspiciatis aut sunt itaque facilis sit nobis exercitationem. Eveniet quia et fugit cupiditate sed doloremque. Maiores expedita quasi eius accusantium rerum. At laudantium natus commodi neque suscipit qui. Nostrum esse dolorem et quia.

Dolorem voluptatem hic temporibus tempore. Ut exercitationem et maiores.

Magni exercitationem est ut dolores aperiam accusamus voluptatem. Atque dolores aut labore dignissimos. Natus nulla odit non non nemo. Dicta culpa ut et illum. Ipsa aliquam quis dolores et. Nulla facere cupiditate sapiente ex nam corrupti.

Distinctio sint omnis commodi saepe dolore. Velit corporis ut eligendi rerum temporibus ducimus voluptas in. Nobis repellat voluptas natus earum reprehenderit qui. Et non vel harum enim tempora fuga aliquam illum.

Sed sed tempore et autem qui animi explicabo. Esse dicta fugit unde rerum quia rerum. Et ad veniam qui reiciendis.

Labore sunt assumenda perspiciatis non. Neque deleniti in facere molestiae omnis.

Aliquid laudantium veniam quaerat recusandae. Autem error hic saepe. Enim vel soluta explicabo occaecati delectus id et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”