Is Russel Wilson Worth His $140 Million Contract Extension?

It has been confirmed that Russel Wilson will be with the Seahawks for at least another four years with his $140 million dollar contract extension. Personally, I believe that this is the right move for the Seahawks as he has done a lot for them by winning at least 10 games in every season with the exception of one (9 wins) and has brought them to the playoffs on multiple even as the Legion of Boom was fading. He also has the most wins since entering the league seven years ago with 83 including one super bowl and another one which we all will remember.

I understand that this is an exorbitant amount of money, especially in football as he is now the league's highest paid player but can you really blame him or the Seahawks? I get that this leaves much less money on the table for them to retain other important players such as Bobby Wagner (who's in the last year of his contract) and Frank Clark (who they'll probably sign under the franchise tag) but it's not anything new that quarterbacks are getting the largest share of the cap. Keep in mind that the TOP SIX highest paid quarterbacks in the league did not make the playoffs last year so let that sink in. Many quarterbacks in this league seem to be getting paid much more than they're worth but in this case, with the exception of Tom Brady, he deserves to be the highest paid player in the league.

No but it's all relative. market says joe flacco, a tier 3 QB at best, is worth low $20m. matt ryan, another tier 3 QB is worth $20mm. etc. Russell is a high end tier 2 QB who is younger and more talented. so by that logic, he's worth more than $25m+. coupled with the fact it is a very weak QB market -- both free agents and college prospects -- which adds to his value.

for giggles this is how i would group NFL QBs at the moment: Tier 1 -- Brady, Brees, Rodgers Tier 2 -- Rothelisberger, Rivers, Wilson, Mahomes, Luck Tier 4 (lowest) -- Tannehill, Bortles, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, Mullens, Tier 3 -- everybody else; lots of names here with wide range of skill level and age

feel free to dispute

these take in the totality and consistency of a player's career, not just results last year. otherwise mahomes woudve been tier 1. rodgers' supporting cast on both sides of the ball hasnt been ideal either. he still has the talent to change games at any time

Russell Wilson has the most touchdowns in the NFL since 2017 (including leading in this category in 2017), is one of two QBs that's played more than two seasons with a career rating over 100 (Rodgers), and has one of the highest TD rates and lowest int rates in NFL history. All while consistently playing behind garbage offensive lines and with Doug Baldwin (not top 10 might not even be top 15) as his best wr. He's a tier 1 QB and doesn't belong with Roethlisberger/Rivers/Luck right now. If we are going off of last season's production Brady is a tier 2 QB rn, his play during the regular season was pedestrian and his play in the SB was horrible. Roethlisberger is probably tier 3 based on the past few seasons, he consistently throws back breaking ints. Mahomes is arguably also Tier 1 but he's only done it for one year so I understand the Tier 2 placement.

How I'd rank QBs rn - as in who I would want next season. 1.) Mahomes (111.7 career qb rating - small sample size) 2.) Wilson 3.) Rodgers 4.) Luck 5.) Brees 6.) Brady 7.) Luck 8.) Rivers 9.) Deshaun Watson (career 103.1 QB rating) - worst line in the NFL last year and went 11-5 10.) Cam Newton (assuming he's actually healthy)

p.s. He deserves every penny, were he on the open market someone would pay him that (or more) fully guaranteed. With a league avg. QB last year the Seahawks probably go 6-10.

Array

They should have done what no team has ever done with a franchise QB - trade him. This offseason RW's trade value was arguably at its peak. One year left on a below market contract, and the ability to franchise tag him at a reasonable price for two subsequent years, if need be. So any team trading for RW would get him with three years of pay as you go contracts. No idea what the market would be, but if Mack was worth two #1's, that should be the starting point.

Say NYG trade their #1 picks in 2019 (#6 overall), #1 in 2020 and maybe a 2-3rd rounder later, the Hawks then draft the best QB available at #6. Playing out this scenario, say you can get Haskin's at #6 - the #6 pick in 2018 received a 4yr/$23M contract ($5.75M/yr).

You save $28M/yr against the cap and spread that money around, get a boat load of draft picks and hope RW's replacement can play at 80% his level, and you can pick up the 20% difference with the rest of your team.

Remember, the dominate Hawks team that won the SB was built around defense with a QB on a rookie contract...

I like your thought process.

Can a team franchise-tag a player it acquires through trade without offering him a new contract? I thought a FT could only be used by the team who originally signed him to the existing contract.

Also FWIW, a QB drafted at #6 would get a much richer deal than the OG picked at #6 last year. But I still agree with your thinking that there would be significant savings.

I don't have a problem paying top dollar for a superstar QB, and I think Wilson qualifies. I think there are two ways to win in the NFL: pay up for a top 5 QB, or get lucky in the draft and get a serviceable QB on a rookie deal. It's those teams stuck in no man's land where they're paying $20MM+/year for a mid-tier QB that are truly hopeless. No positional advantage at the most important position, and not enough cap space left over to dominate the rest of the field.

Most Helpful
FrkWhite:
**They should have done what no team has ever done with a franchise QB - trade him. **This offseason RW's trade value was arguably at its peak. One year left on a below market contract, and the ability to franchise tag him at a reasonable price for two subsequent years, if need be. So any team trading for RW would get him with three years of pay as you go contracts. No idea what the market would be, but if Mack was worth two #1's, that should be the starting point.

Say NYG trade their #1 picks in 2019 (#6 overall), #1 in 2020 and maybe a 2-3rd rounder later, the Hawks then draft the best QB available at #6. Playing out this scenario, say you can get Haskin's at #6 - the #6 pick in 2018 received a 4yr/$23M contract ($5.75M/yr).

You save $28M/yr against the cap and spread that money around, get a boat load of draft picks and hope RW's replacement can play at 80% his level, and you can pick up the 20% difference with the rest of your team.

Remember, the dominate Hawks team that won the SB was built around defense with a QB on a rookie contract...

Uh... no. You potentially trade guys like Dak before paying him. Carr, Matt Stafford etc... but not guys like Russ and Rodgers. read this for more detail: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/4/17/18411579/russell-wilson-seattle…

Array

The Ringer is fantastic. Best paragraph from your link:

It’s pretty simple: The best thing to have in sports is a great quarterback making very little money, and the second-best thing is a great quarterback making a lot of money. There’s a significant drop-off from these two options and the next two scenarios: the third is a mediocre quarterback making little money, and the absolute worst thing is a mediocre quarterback making a ton of money. Wilson has been the first two things in his career. Most quarterbacks exist in the third and fourth categories.

• Andrew Luck

• Derek Carr

• Joe Flacco

• Matt Stafford

• Matt Ryan

• Jimmy Garopolo

That is a list of QBs with the highest per year cap hit who have signed 5+ year contracts. Andrew Luck is the only one I could rationalize. The others have not turned out so well to this point. The trick to winning in the NFL is not locking up all your money in a few players.

Carr and Stafford have the talent to be solid tier 2 QBs...all the pieces have just never been in place for them to maximize their potential. carr still has time, stafford unfortunately has a lot of mileage now.

flacco -- opportunistic at best; had a couple one-off games in the playoffs ryan -- ehhhh, why hasnt he won anything with all the talent around him? and hes well past 30 now Garropolo -- TBD

td12:
Carr and Stafford have the talent to be solid tier 2 QBs...all the pieces have just never been in place for them to maximize their potential.

Now that these guys are making $25MM and $27MM per year, respectively, it's a lot harder to put said pieces into place for them. They're stuck as QBs outside the top tier on teams without excess cap space to compensate. It's middle-ground hell that keeps you from being a real contender or from ever getting great draft capital.

td12:
ryan -- ehhhh, why hasnt he won anything with all the talent around him? and hes well past 30 now

He was league MVP and had a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl just 3 seasons ago. I'd still have him behind Luck, but miles ahead of the rest of the list, at least until we see what a healthy Garopolo can do.

I feel like every team wants a franchise QB. To just trade away a successful one or let him walk, is shooting yourself in the foot.

And, look at Brady. They've been paying cheap players around that guy, going back to back to back to back...

It's hard to say a QB is just not worth it. Plus, Russ wins, and he does so with a lot of style and grace too. To me, he's easily top 2 QBs in the league right now.

Est natus nesciunt quia quidem est et quaerat. Veniam in id aut accusamus voluptatem nisi. Omnis ex omnis animi ipsum.

Dolores laborum qui quis velit sunt. Accusantium et sapiente quis sint qui similique. Tempora quasi aliquid debitis adipisci quo. Voluptas libero enim molestias quas corporis voluptatum. Vel tempora doloribus voluptates est dolore. Mollitia tenetur et voluptatem rem eveniet.

Voluptatem impedit perferendis quo recusandae blanditiis. Perspiciatis in est veniam dolorem velit necessitatibus.

WSO Content & Social Media. Follow us: Linkedin, IG, Facebook, Twitter.

Expedita possimus quia sed et sunt et. Adipisci aut quos architecto corporis aut omnis. Est cumque nostrum odio accusantium debitis odit ut.

Quia repudiandae molestias mollitia. Ut ab ut architecto vel. Iste non odit voluptate dolorem ducimus. Beatae quia molestias qui reprehenderit. Et voluptatibus modi rerum cumque itaque sit veniam. Odit omnis omnis consectetur similique consequatur porro.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”