Oktoberfest 2017

Hey guys, my gf and I will be going to Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany this year and I wanted to see if anyone on this forum had any tips/tricks/hacks to getting the most out of this vacation. We will be in Munich for 5 days and 4 days in London and Paris as well.

Anything in particular I should do and/or see outside of the traditional things?

Thanks in advance!

The Oktoberfest grounds is split between two different tents: one for internationals from all over and one for Germans. Spend time in both. Also outside the city, you will be able to find cheaper lederhosen (might be around 200 euros). Its worth it to buy this before day 1 as you will use it every day. When you are in London, you must hit up Duck and Waffle at night for the views / gin and tonics.

Yes

GoldenCinderblock: "I keep spending all my money on exotic fish so my armor sucks. Is it possible to romance multiple females? I got with the blue chick so far but I am also interested in the electronic chick and the face mask chick."

Schützen-Festzelt and schottenhamel are in my opinion the two best tents, although you got to like hanging with German people. Also, better to be there quite early if you want to sit at a table (not getting served if you are not). The latter is especially true on the first weekend of Oktoberfest, and it is even more true on the very first day. As other people said, the lederhosen is definitely a must if you want to live the true experience.

The last thing you want to do is to go back to your familiar shell and be afraid to try out new things. Try making some Bavarian buddies beforehand, who'll show you a great time around, and will not let the fest expenses rip you off.

GoldenCinderblock: "I keep spending all my money on exotic fish so my armor sucks. Is it possible to romance multiple females? I got with the blue chick so far but I am also interested in the electronic chick and the face mask chick."

Only advice I have is to book your accommodations/travel early. I made the mistake of trying to book 2 weeks out and every hotel/hostel was booked up. I ended up paying $100 for a 16 person room in a hostel and had to get a scarily expensive train ticket. Still worth it but lesson learned. You're in for a great time, one of the funnest weeks I've ever had.

Just had my trade dispute rejected by Schwab for a loss of 35k. This single issue alone should be a gigantic red flag to anyone who trades on their platform. If they have a system error, and you do not video record your trading (they actually said this), they will not honour their fuck up. Switching everything away from them. Fuck this company.

One of the big keys is to get to the tent early so you can be sure to get a spot. There's a little carousel bar near the entrance to the park that opens before the tents do. We usually meet there for a drink 30 minutes before the tents open (10 AM) and then we head to whichever tent we picked for the day. It's an early start, but I've found it to be worthwhile. By getting there early you can also build some rapport with the waitress which means better service later.

If you go later, you will often have to wait to get into a tent. We would then usually head home mid-evening for a nap and then back out again for the late night parties.

Best Response

Can't believe anyone said this but try to see the BMW showroom and the factory floor if you're able. The showroom is always open, but I think you need a reservation for the factory floor itself, I've only been to the showroom and regretted not being able to see the factory. The park around all the Olympic stadiums is really nice and a great relaxing break from all the frenzy. Dachau isn't all that interesting and a serious mood killer. There are a lot of great kebab places close to the main station. Not sure if Bundesliga will be playing, but if there's a game between Bayern and someone else that would be awesome too.

Paris gets pretty crowded, but my advice is if you don't want to be in long lines and overrated museums, I suggest that you find a good bakery, get a couple baguettes (look up ranking's of the city's best, although most of them are great. Au Paradis du Gourmand in the 14th is amazing, brought some baguettes on the flight back home), buy some cheese (Fromagerie Boursault in the 14th has an amazing selection, they even vacuum packed some for me to bring back home) and a cheap bottle of great wine and have picnics all over the city. There are a couple great restaurants around the city that don't break the bank (Bouillon Chartier in the 9th and Victoires in the 1st). The city is really pretty at night especially, it tends to get fairly hot during the day.

I haven't been to London yet, but of the 10 times I've flown through Heathrow, it's always been raining. YMMV

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Had a 24-hour layover in Paris around Christmas time and hit all the staples with my SO. All I can say about the city is that the basics are the basics for a reason. The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Arc De Triomphe, and the Louvre are incredible. We didn't tour any of them but got the gist just walking around.

The top Paris moment for me had to be a meal at a restaurant called La Nouvelle Seine that is on a boat overlooking Notre Dame. The food was okay (French), service was so-so (French), but by happenstance we noticed that a burlesque show was beginning in the undercarriage of the boat right as we finished our meal. Was pretty fun being wasted in the bottom of a boat in Paris shouting "Oui" with all the actual Frenchies not having a clue what was going on as someone on stage spins nipple tassles.

Nothing short of everything will really do.

For Oktoberfest, make sure to get up early to get there, especially if you go during a busy day. If you know anyone that speaks German, it can be incredibly helpful to have them with you. Bring a good amount of cash with you. Beers are a little over 10 euros, if I remember correctly. Also having a solid group of about 5 people is helpful since table space is limited and having a good amount of people prevents larger groups from pushing you off and taking over a table. Make sure your group has a rallying point, because it is very easy to get separated and hard to find people. If you want to buy a momento, I would recommend purchasing one of the glass steins with the year and a design on it. I know it sounds stupid, but I have seen guys that do go every year and have a bunch of them lined up on their walls from various years. It looks pretty cool, but that's just me

Buy an colorful maybe red plaid shirt over there youll blow 20 to 30 euros for it. I def recomend spending money on Lederhosen since its an amazing quality and can be used for future haloween party or just for shits sake. Lines get super long and tents for most part are split into lunch and dinner with lunch being time to eat food and nothing crazy. However, they kick people and close little bit to let those that resrved tables in for dinner and then let anyone after in. Make sure you stay in the line once it starts forming for dinner time or else you might end up waiting 1-2.5 hours to get into the tent.

P.S Make sure you wild out, no one judges and its one of the best events I have ever been. And I went to last year ones and these ladies go around selling like mints to snort, do buy those they look like coke but are mints type of things and wake you the heck up when snorting one.

Eos recusandae nisi quia soluta in quo aperiam soluta. Consequatur qui dolorem animi dolorem ut est vel cupiditate. Itaque quo laudantium repellat expedita blanditiis aspernatur ut.

Dolor deserunt nisi laboriosam consequatur cum possimus. Vitae ea quasi voluptate quas qui.

Delectus id dolorum quaerat voluptates quidem. Ipsum dolor est rerum quisquam at sapiente. Ut ab esse sunt aut minus qui.

Temporibus nobis non enim necessitatibus. Voluptatem harum ut necessitatibus deleniti autem qui in. Optio dolorum itaque quis.

Voluptas cum porro harum aut. Suscipit sint saepe laudantium voluptatem ipsam. Odit saepe sint illo aut nulla tempore esse. Odit illum voluptatum ipsum sit quia blanditiis.

Voluptas rerum occaecati omnis est quia nisi possimus. Laboriosam aut atque minima nulla amet at natus. Assumenda totam non omnis omnis voluptas quibusdam consequuntur.

Esse voluptas voluptas nostrum eligendi et ipsa. Totam fugiat veritatis esse. Qui expedita occaecati eos. Omnis ut nisi mollitia asperiores repellendus.

In harum atque reprehenderit quis voluptatem vel placeat sit. Laboriosam aut quia aliquid voluptatibus cumque illum eum. Repellat dolores tenetur omnis dolorum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”