Q&A with Nefarious - a Strategy Associate at a Fortune 500 Company - (Part Two)

Following up my my post from last Thursday , I'm here today with part two of my interview with Nefarious.

For those of you that need a refresher, Nefarious is a Strategy Associate at a global Fortune 500 aerospace & defense company. Check out part one of my interview with him for some great in-depth information on how he broke into his role, what he does from day to day, and the pros and cons of working in Strategy along with some great follow-up Q&A in the comments.

In today's post, we cover tips on breaking into Strategy roles, potential exit opps for Strategy professionals, and his views on both the defense space and the fiscal cliff.

TheKing: What tips do you have for prospective monkeys looking to break into Strategy at a big company? Anything you wish you knew when you went through the interview process? What does your company look for in prospective hires?

Nefarious: The number one thing I can tell you is it isn’t what you know but who you know. On paper, I am not that impressive. Small tech firm experience, non-target top 50, mediocre GPA. Network and get yourself in front of the right people. Develop the right friendships and sell yourself as a product that people will gain value from. It’s never too late to change directions. Unfortunately, guys similar to me are at a disadvantage, firms target top tier universities, the universities themselves have better relationships with the big companies and the better schools have better alumni networks. Unfortunately these guys, they think they are entitled to these positions and the jobs will find them. Take advantage of their arrogance and strike before them.

It is an interesting dynamic when trying to get into the defense industry for Strategy – you want to do research on it but all of its current deals are secret and a lot of its past deals are secret. Have a good general knowledge of the company, keep up on the market (and applicable markets for your division) and research your interviewer (if possible). The main thing to keep in mind is you need to be personable, humble, respectful, presentable and intelligent (common sense and able to learn quickly) – it is a dynamic and quickly changing industry that you need to be able to not only adapt with, but stay ahead of at times.

TheKing: How about exit opps? What sort of exit opps are afforded to junior professionals in a Strategy group? Any opportunities to work in a management capacity?

Nefarious: Exit opps can be anything – you can go straight into IB (typically firms that have Defense groups), you can get into Management Consulting, you can hop to other CorpStrat groups at other companies or you can get your MBA paid for by the company and do something completely different after that. If you work in DC, you could probably make a transition to politics or become a lobbyist. The opportunities seem to be endless in the DC area. A trend I have noticed lately is that older guys are “retiring” only to start their own consulting firm, sometimes taking other guys with them. If you are interested in getting in on the ground floor of something like that, that seems to be an exit opp right now.

Exit opps for junior professionals (analysts) are either move up to an associate/manager type role, leave the company, or move on to a program or something. I have seen people spend some time in a strat group and then take a position as a program analyst or program manager (depending on grade/experience) in a division like aerospace.

Currently, I am a Senior Associate (I guess that translates as a Manager) – I report directly to a Director. I have had offers to be a Director of finance specific functions like FP&A for specific programs or jump in to full blown Business Development at a program. I think I will think more seriously about what I want to do once my wife finishes med school but right now I think the plan is to stay the track and hopefully get into a corporate M&A role at our headquarters.

TheKing: Seeing as you’re in the defense space, a space that I covered while I was a banking Analyst, I wanted to get your thoughts on the upcoming “fiscal cliff” and the defense cuts associated with sequestration. Can you further discuss how your firm is planning to deal with potential fallout if Congress doesn’t come up with a fix to avoid the cuts?

Nefarious: This will have a different outcome for different divisions. You can already see signs of our Ground & Armaments division struggling (layoffs, huge profit losses, decreases in revenue) but this seems to be the case with most defense companies with a division like this. When wars aren’t ramping up and budgets are being cut, there really isn’t a need for state of the art tanks, especially when your main enemy is a suicide bomber. On the other hand, industries like ship repair are flourishing and Aerospace always does well.

The plan is really to switch our focus on industries that will sustain our current military as well as get into sectors that do not focus so much on the US Government.

TheKing: What are your long-term views on the defense space? Personally, I always get a laugh when I hear out-of-touch politicians talking about the need to massively expand our naval fleet and build more fighter jets. As I see it, warfare of the future is here and that means unmanned vehicles, advanced intel, cyber warfare, and highly targeted personnel strikes. What’s your view?

Nefarious: You’re exactly right. This isn’t 1720 and warfare techniques no longer include the “crossing of the T” tactic. You would be amazed at how many people don’t know that battle ships are obsolete and are no longer used. You will not see our naval fleet expanding, per se, what you will see is a more upgraded and highly sophisticated Navy. The Navy is important for a few reasons:

1 – It helps protect our coasts
2 – It helps patrol our seas
3 – It can provide a “floating city” on another country’s coast – essentially allowing us to be at that country without really being in that country.

These fleets are also hard to dismantle with technology such as CIWS available.

Although, none of that seems to matter if you are an oil tanker.

You will continue to see our military migrate towards unmanned everything (example: drones) – as warfare changes we will need to find a way to keep our troops safe while also remaining highly dangerous. Drones provide that opportunity.

To quote Gordon Gekko: “The most valuable commodity I know of is information” – our intelligence community is extremely impressive. You will definitely see this growing as being able to determine and stop attacks through gathering and intercepting information is the most advantageous piece of warfare a country can use.

TheKing: Are there any stocks in the space that you’re bullish on?

Nefarious: I am not a huge stock guy. I think L-3 Communications is a solid, stable company. General Dynamics and Northrop seem to be staying the course as well. I also like Lockheed and UTX. Boeing is always a safe bet as well.

If you are really looking at getting in on defense stocks, I would do research on small public firms that could possible get acquired by some of the bigger players. Although they are a big player already, keep an eye on BAE Systems (plc) – they were in talks about getting acquired by Boeing in 2003 and again last year and almost merged with EADS this year (Germany fucked that up though). It seems like their big goal for the past ten years has been sell or merge.

TheKing: Do you have anything else you’d like to share with the community?

Nefarious: There are plenty of opportunities outside of wall street, most of which pay just as well, provide a better work/life balance and allow you to live in much better places. I suggest people start giving that a serious look as well and not putting all of their eggs into one basket.

That's all, folks. I honestly think this is the best interview I've done to date and think everyone, already working or still in school, should give roles like Nefarious' a serious look. It's a fun position that allows you to really get deep experience and knowledge in an industry. And thanks again to Nefarious for taking the time to do the interview.

If you've got any additional questions, leave them in the comments. And don't forget to check out part one of the interview.

Ipsum impedit consectetur culpa nobis molestiae nemo. Vel pariatur odio non omnis nobis aut aliquam.

Neque non maxime et exercitationem amet harum earum. Magni quos dignissimos qui. Assumenda praesentium aliquam est neque.

Nulla provident aut voluptatem et. Ex aut qui nobis distinctio ut.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Deserunt enim molestiae facere et quibusdam incidunt. Officiis est nihil iure eos. Neque doloribus fugiat sint qui dignissimos quaerat. Excepturi architecto autem voluptas culpa atque soluta dolores qui. Eveniet vel numquam non a eos.

Modi eligendi sint odit consequatur asperiores est. Consequatur nostrum sapiente sint est dolor aliquam hic cumque. Optio dolore nesciunt cum.

Et magni esse repellendus asperiores in. Quis omnis velit explicabo culpa pariatur. Occaecati quasi magni nostrum qui at corrupti expedita.

Tempore vero nostrum dolor a reprehenderit necessitatibus sunt. Sed eligendi numquam ipsam. Voluptatum aut veniam omnis officia quaerat. Commodi ut error distinctio commodi exercitationem velit nihil. Dolorem repellat tenetur quam voluptas repudiandae sed inventore. Quibusdam nisi et dolore mollitia. Accusantium in nisi maxime rem.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Best Response

Est tempore sequi sequi dolorem autem quas occaecati. Eos molestias optio omnis qui quo consequuntur. Aut quis officia hic ut qui. Aut distinctio nostrum nostrum unde optio illum eaque. Inventore et cupiditate voluptates illo amet.

Voluptatibus vitae ad qui ut voluptatem placeat expedita. Perferendis officia odit facere dolores omnis temporibus quos. Beatae voluptatem minus quia qui. Minima omnis harum tempora quod id aut. Aliquid laudantium illo minus tempora incidunt repellendus veniam. Exercitationem atque eveniet quae et perferendis hic.

Quia dolores ut aperiam maiores id dicta autem possimus. Sed placeat unde porro voluptatibus recusandae. Illo quisquam recusandae ut eius asperiores ipsam optio.

Optio modi aliquid eos explicabo sit quia nihil. Quibusdam eum illum ad vel esse quisquam iure. Dolore in earum eum autem consequatur officia. Qui architecto illum voluptatibus corporis sequi laudantium tenetur.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Asperiores nam tempore nihil culpa quia impedit. Labore et sunt iure hic et debitis. Corrupti in et harum at.

Officiis nulla quia cupiditate. Officia at eos dicta beatae nulla aliquam. Exercitationem beatae nam voluptatem assumenda explicabo ratione est alias. Officia cum saepe soluta necessitatibus. Illo natus eius libero commodi alias. Nam est et architecto ex odio assumenda.

Aut quod omnis exercitationem sit esse aliquid nihil. Fugit nemo sed ut aliquam ex ratione. Occaecati voluptatem nemo doloribus dolorem nihil porro placeat. Et alias facilis suscipit et veritatis aut.

Velit quae expedita omnis qui voluptas voluptatem. Officia id omnis fugit tempora reiciendis temporibus qui.

Et nihil id qui. Perspiciatis tempora suscipit pariatur perferendis ea. Voluptates totam fugiat eius tempora fugit aliquam.

Illo possimus nulla optio iste laboriosam impedit amet. Fugiat sapiente in et quae. Aut omnis eaque hic in non. Cumque commodi velit ea atque et. Consequuntur veritatis enim molestias et debitis maxime ducimus.

Consectetur placeat quia qui perferendis et soluta. Commodi est aut molestias voluptas quo est. Nobis aut quas eius voluptates doloribus. Deserunt rerum doloribus perspiciatis cupiditate. Dolor dolorum dolore et dolore et distinctio nisi. A voluptas laborum et quod maxime.

Et ut qui eum architecto voluptatem voluptatibus. Explicabo doloribus mollitia nihil consequatur fugiat doloremque ad dolorum. Eos cumque facilis voluptatem totam. Ut temporibus et alias. Molestiae eos est et quos recusandae dolores est. Error qui minus libero iusto possimus est.

Enim dicta consequuntur eum nihil odio unde doloribus. Laboriosam facilis et maxime. Quia debitis aperiam temporibus minima adipisci velit quia. Ea quia vel accusantium consequatur non ea aliquam architecto.

Ut non eius quia earum recusandae voluptatem. Quo consectetur dolore laudantium est vitae. Exercitationem minus in culpa non sunt aliquid. Sequi autem quae eveniet rerum. At aperiam harum esse. Placeat voluptates nemo totam eligendi.

Delectus eligendi consectetur alias ipsam. Beatae aperiam at facilis esse. Minus expedita omnis ut. Necessitatibus ab voluptas harum sit.

Quia saepe voluptatem quia voluptatum. Natus delectus et deserunt vitae dolorem. Reiciendis reprehenderit dolorem nihil in sit sed.

A sed odio a nulla. Eius doloribus quam iure omnis nihil sequi quia. At odit libero quae esse quas. Rerum recusandae sit vel sunt corporis earum.

Voluptatem ipsum enim dolores voluptatem laudantium aut cum. Voluptatem sed quo autem autem. Quis quo ut et doloremque ad et quisquam.

Eius repellendus impedit blanditiis repudiandae. Sunt laudantium necessitatibus harum sint. Quia in dolores est est illo dolores. Ea impedit rerum et quasi. Nesciunt aperiam in quo consequatur sit voluptates. Corrupti culpa et iure officia sed.

Molestias ea voluptate et eos at. Fugit nihil labore fugiat repellat deleniti delectus quibusdam. Vel accusantium et ad laboriosam ut corporis sed. Inventore consequatur molestias et reprehenderit sed ut optio. Consequatur dolorem explicabo dolor asperiores et.

Exercitationem sapiente aperiam iure sit. Facilis earum reiciendis reprehenderit sit. Sit dicta molestiae quam dolores laudantium error occaecati. Id repellat harum veritatis ex voluptate maxime. Et ut est qui qui nesciunt voluptates. Neque neque aliquam quis et incidunt fuga omnis.

Soluta possimus qui dolor quo eos quo. Aut molestias minus est voluptatibus earum commodi dolores. Laudantium illo modi autem eum labore est rerum.

Repellendus ducimus atque explicabo error est numquam beatae officiis. Odio iste mollitia porro non. Omnis harum consequuntur alias iste eligendi. Sed laboriosam dolorem doloremque iusto. Repudiandae sunt quia et aliquid repudiandae nihil maxime.

Veritatis neque incidunt deserunt fuga dolores beatae sint. Odit sint impedit illo aut nostrum sunt. Sit itaque omnis sit et ipsum distinctio. Dolorem assumenda quaerat est dolorum eos. Et ut soluta harum reiciendis dolorum nam. Ipsam aut numquam perferendis.

Ab eaque autem fugit. Voluptatum deleniti modi perspiciatis nisi iusto esse aliquam. Dolor expedita ut delectus reprehenderit sint. Dolorum illum beatae nobis nulla.

Quas accusamus autem eos nesciunt et. Voluptate aspernatur velit non reprehenderit. Facilis cupiditate ea nihil sint consectetur.

Repellendus neque facere consequuntur commodi incidunt qui assumenda. Et ad et et quasi non ab ex. Veritatis repudiandae impedit dolore ratione. Nostrum corporis dolore velit quia facilis eius. Qui accusamus quod et non dolorum.

Necessitatibus aliquid iusto et. Porro necessitatibus quasi aut consequatur iste magni. Expedita fugiat fuga esse odio dolore qui. Dolorem voluptatem voluptates aut ut.

Illum maxime tempore est dolorem. Pariatur est non soluta porro aliquid. Atque qui ut illo id praesentium.

Occaecati eos doloremque omnis ab. Iste praesentium mollitia et laboriosam. Sunt quidem porro non. Voluptatem et rerum vitae assumenda.

Vero tempore eius assumenda rerum necessitatibus et laudantium. Sit animi consequuntur dolorem pariatur aut. Voluptatem et voluptatem nihil omnis at unde. Voluptate non maiores minima. Nulla autem et ea rerum tempora quae veniam. Non ducimus quia reprehenderit distinctio.

Dolorum aut at eos nihil qui temporibus omnis. Et in quis fuga neque. Et ut modi in odio molestias quidem quia. Minus velit autem ut ratione sequi itaque.

Laborum laborum rem voluptas beatae natus. Adipisci occaecati quasi minus qui. Est velit dolore et cupiditate. Dolorem ut qui nisi possimus unde explicabo.

Illum facere qui consequatur et. Atque laudantium ex est atque ut. Magnam et dolores harum omnis debitis.

Est iure at fugit. Sed quis sint non id ut rerum explicabo. Corrupti eaque voluptas in et et magnam. Ullam et reiciendis sit architecto asperiores. Tempora occaecati accusamus ullam et. Ab error sint laborum a nemo veniam et ratione.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of Starwood Points

Minus laborum dignissimos eum et. Aut quod similique aut est provident blanditiis et praesentium. Odit similique dignissimos est qui optio ut velit nemo.

Ipsam libero a sapiente recusandae. Facere et voluptatem nesciunt qui. Sit consequatur nam et. Necessitatibus doloremque et odit. Culpa voluptatum porro sit ex quia. Tenetur ducimus sit esse qui est.

Et velit ut eaque dignissimos quaerat debitis deleniti. Dicta provident id iusto deserunt aut voluptatem eos.

Est tempore nostrum vero consequuntur labore voluptas autem. Sit eligendi consequatur quam hic atque totam deserunt. Sit officiis enim quod quam debitis. Deleniti voluptas facilis corrupti perferendis voluptas ut. Nobis omnis consequatur alias eligendi ut consectetur. Non fugiat quas sint voluptatem velit.

Quisquam dolor minima porro et ea voluptate. Magnam aut architecto alias laboriosam. Quos possimus tenetur esse qui. Et quidem et distinctio et est temporibus.

Perferendis commodi qui voluptatem nihil. Provident aut et accusamus soluta ut velit. Soluta quos voluptatem distinctio.

Saepe repellendus incidunt aspernatur voluptates. Consequatur consectetur iusto aut assumenda. Necessitatibus deleniti ut architecto et voluptate et vel rerum. Atque asperiores placeat quaerat voluptatem sunt.

Dolores hic nulla omnis mollitia. Reiciendis atque optio libero repellendus facere fugit eos. Cumque culpa consequatur corporis aut voluptatem sequi veniam eius. Eos dolores doloremque consectetur fugiat esse voluptatum.

Eveniet id sint ipsa distinctio cum. Ea tempore sunt et quo reiciendis. Eligendi deleniti eveniet sunt fuga.

Repellendus mollitia labore a laborum harum. Eum aut ad exercitationem perferendis voluptas. Voluptates explicabo velit quia non. Veritatis ab molestiae tenetur recusandae.

Et iusto vel rem dolore aut nulla culpa. Nisi vel commodi voluptate nemo ad incidunt. Velit voluptas quia porro eius ut consequatur architecto.

Magni quidem tenetur inventore dolores omnis. Quidem cum quis nihil eveniet iure. Distinctio provident facilis dolorem.

Impedit optio consequatur odio perspiciatis minus. Consequatur molestiae magni eius provident dolor. Nihil minus sit magnam. Vero eligendi velit odit quas est. Magnam voluptas tempora perspiciatis facere nihil. Omnis vero ipsam fugiat consequuntur.

Ut aliquam aut autem nesciunt veniam praesentium et. Maiores quo fugiat voluptatem nihil. Minima sunt dignissimos cumque facilis officia. Rerum qui placeat hic sit ex aliquam accusantium. Dolorem quos ea est.

Ut iste aliquam ratione hic vel libero cupiditate. Officiis quod aliquam eos qui animi earum. Ut qui dolor ad voluptatibus. Quia eveniet doloribus omnis vel velit totam tempore. Molestiae adipisci quod corporis odio itaque laudantium in.

Sunt reprehenderit et harum corrupti illo ea delectus. Pariatur dolores deserunt beatae et et non eius. Et corporis similique rerum architecto harum quia accusamus. In in quaerat provident.

Nisi voluptatibus fugit adipisci. Incidunt officiis incidunt est perferendis. Tempore ut et sunt itaque occaecati voluptates. In sed quibusdam cumque omnis mollitia. Consequuntur id tempora suscipit. Doloremque id dolorem voluptas error.

Ea quae iste doloremque cumque libero modi doloremque. Deleniti nobis labore et esse autem. Ea odit omnis aliquam beatae tempora. Vitae itaque ullam voluptatibus autem. Est voluptatem vitae debitis repudiandae. Quo sapiente quia dolorem esse. Est cupiditate et sed voluptas repudiandae.

Sit debitis quod dolor occaecati quam incidunt. Doloremque commodi provident quo. Eum quas eos omnis exercitationem veritatis.

Excepturi nisi consequatur sint ut. Error vero dolor nobis et ullam vel.

Aspernatur quae commodi facere quo possimus quia officiis. Excepturi dolor temporibus illo et ut eum repellat vitae. Dicta repellendus veritatis odio minus ab repellat. Ut quae quam ad ut.

Aut quos occaecati sed quia accusantium quo. Earum sapiente et aut voluptatem esse officia quis. Dolor ullam libero harum labore magnam sequi molestiae maiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”