WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (1/31-2/6)

In case you missed them, here's some of last week's most popular topics:

Non-target to BB M&A - Thank you!
Post By @TheCityBoy

I had went into the summer with virtually no work experience and had come out the other side with 3 completed internships, 2 of which had great name recognition.

Thank you once again to you guys here on WSO, many of you have been extremely helpful with answers to my questions over the years and for that I am forever grateful!

Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids about Money - That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
Post By @Deconstructing Excellence

To sum up:

1. Don’t work for money; work to create assets that generate money.

2. Know the difference between an asset and liability, and buy assets. Only buy another liability if you first buy or create an asset that generates enough cash to pay for it.

3. Make putting things in your asset column your first priority, before what your employer, government, and bank want.

4. Study accounting, investing, economics, and law. This will allow you to recognize opportunities and methods to successfully build wealth, such as the use of 1031 exchanges and corporate structures.

5. Most people buy packaged investments. The rich create investments by assembling a deal themselves - finding an opportunity, raising money, and organizing people.

6. Take a job only for the skills it will teach you, never for the money it pays you.

The Pussy Generation according to Clint Eastwood
Post By @thebrofessor

“Old school” is a term that alludes to toughness both mental and physical. If you look at what previous generations had to go through to just put food on their table, you might realize what hard work is. The tough, strong, old school men of today are outnumbered. We’re drowned out by the whining of the new school, as Clint puts it, “the pussy generation.”

The old school simply puts its head down, doesn’t complain, and out hustles those that do. It’s life, it’s simple.

11 Tips of Speaking Publicly
Post By @Mr.BananaB

Even those who are a professional at it, still get a little scared as well. We all have experienced some form of being nervous, anxiety, and queasy feelings. Public speaking is more than just speaking in front of a large crowd to persuade, it is also a form of communication to the audience you are about to communicate with.

While it can be scary and cause unwanted feelings, there are ways to help calm yourself and project your confidence.

Discounted Cashflow Valuations (DCF): Academic Exercise, Sales Pitch or Investor Tool?
Post By @Aswath Damodaran

The first step in spanning the divide is to strip away the layers of complexity that we have built into valuation over the decades and return to the equation, that I started this post.

While the architecture of the DCF model is simple and the truths that emerge from it are universal, there is a great deal of mythology around DCF valuation, some of it promoted by model-users and some by model-haters.

A Non-Target Sophomore's Guide to Earning a BB Offer
Post By @anon100

We don't wake up in sixth grade knowing we want to trade in FICC, and no one at any of these banks is going to expect you to. That being said, you have to show a desire to learn more about the bank. I did this by applying over and over and over to the leadership programs offered. I applied to maybe 15-20 programs, being denied almost every time... key word: almost. One bank believed in my app amongst the many for whatever reason, and that bank just so happened to be a nice one.

Superbowl recap...
Post By @AndyLouis

By far the most emotional game I've ever seen in my life. One of the best Super Bowls ever? Even though we lost, and today feels like crap, I still had a great time... hell of a game.

Thoughts on the game? Is Brady the best QB ever (barf)? Anyone win some $$$? Favorite Commercial? Katy Perry WTF?

Quitting with no gig lined up - deathwish?
Post By @arbrisk

I have a comp sci education and experience in tech, and I want to do VC in SF / Menlo.

My question is: would VCs be put off by the fact that I would be unemployed when reaching out to them? I was recently ranked in the top of my analyst class, so that should provide some comfort that I'm actually good, and not someone who quit banking for fishy reasons.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”