Might be a dumb thing to say but does your SAT even matter when recruiting on cycle? Genuinely asking. 

I’m hoping to target UMM. Would a 1400 make a difference? I don’t think I can get above a 1450 because my reading comprehension is really bad

1300 and 1400 are both negatives, not really much difference. UMM seems like a long shot from your profile. You can recruit for them but may want to set sights lower if you want to walk away with any offer.

Yes, in NY there are maybe 100 UMM buyout associate seats and 50 MF buyout seats and a bank like GS alone has ~150 analysts per class so do the math. Large cap PE recruiting is highly competitive

Really appreciate the perspective. Would upgrading to a top bank move the needle? Also curious what score is considered neutral or positive

You should without a doubt in my mind not re-take a test for high school kids to do PE recruiting. I'm in a couple good processes an I didn't provide SATs/ACTs/whatever. it would take you months and a lot of stressful hours to prep and do the test and get a better score to increase your odds by ~0.5%... Your time is 10000000% better utilized by trying to recruit for a better group at BB/EB or PE group at MBB. Please don't waste your time.

Thanks, saved me a lot of time. Initially wanted to retake sat and lateral to improve odds but honestly didn’t know how marginal odds it would be with a higher sat

Bro yeah I know a ton of people who didn't have their SATs or whatever in their resume and got MF offers. I swear that if you spend the same amount of time you would put into studying for the SAT into prepping for PE interviews, you'd probably end up in a pretty decent place.... I know its hard but no need to be tweaking about that amazing score form highschool. Normally School/Job/group serves as a proxy for them in regards to cognitive ability. Get yourself to a place where you know for a fact people leave to the places you want to be at.

I wouldn't - especially if you're aiming for a 1400-1450. If you just didn't care/study in high school and would easily score better with a bit of studying that would be one thing, but if you know you have a ceiling due to reading section, that score is really not going to be worth all of the time it takes.

Agree with above, even if you had a 1600 UMM is a long shot from your seat.

3.7 gpa and few PE/IB internships on resume. Got a rec letter from previous PE internship at a reputable shop but not sure if meaningful. appreciate the guidance!

Most Helpful

Aliquid nisi et ea facilis rerum ipsa. Molestias quia sint perferendis perferendis tempora. Eum harum nihil non accusantium recusandae. Minus esse sint ratione.

Dolorum et sed necessitatibus harum. Deleniti quisquam non at itaque. Nulla aut blanditiis distinctio delectus quibusdam. Quibusdam iste id ut consequatur ipsum quia. Ea voluptatem atque accusantium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

June 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

June 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

June 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (389) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (316) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”