2022 Canada PE Comp

Annual process to close out the year. Y'all know the drill, please post the type of fund (MF, Pension, MM), position and year as of 2022, base, cash bonus, and any other deferred comp / carry numbers. If you have guidance on your current new position numbers would be great too. I'll kick it off:

Firm: Pension (Direct Investing team)
Position: AS1 (for 2022)
Base: 140k
Bonus: 110k

AS2 for 2023 guidance
Base: 150k
Bonus: 100k - 180k

Region

OP here - all C$. My group and pension is around 50-70+ hours, norm is usually around 55-65 hours though, quite rare for me to hit over 70+ unless things are really hot. A lot of what we do are direct investments but also co-investments with a GP which is why my hours aren't terrible. 

OP here - all C$. My group and pension is around 50-70+ hours, norm is usually around 55-65 hours though, quite rare for me to hit over 70+ unless things are really hot. A lot of what we do are direct investments but also co-investments with a GP which is why my hours aren't terrible. 

Would you rather work at a U.S. UMM? Incoming FT at a U.S. EB as a Canadian from Ivey / Queens and just wondering if the grass really is greener in the U.S. - Sounds to me like Pension life is the best in terms of comp, job security, and exits...

Most Helpful

At this stage of my life (mid-20s, pushing late 20s), I think I'm content with where I'm at. I have considered working at a US MM firm, but to your point, there's no free lunch and I would give something up for more comp. 

I applaud you for thinking long-term and would suggest you to just think about what you want out of a career and your life. If your goal is to maximize your earning potential and career, going to a MF or UMM in the US would be the best. But it comes at a sacrifice as you'll still be pulling more hours and have less predictability of your schedule. Versus being at a pension, we are paid less (although there is some value in the pension if you stay long enough), but we have much better WLB and other things you mentioned. No wrong decision I think, I have close friends at MFs and myself am at a pension.

My numbers are all cash. I have a bit of deferred comp but its immaterial and 3 year full vesting schedule so have written that off.

Without giving too much away, is this BCI or an Ontario based pension?

Ullam voluptatem asperiores cumque voluptas omnis vel omnis quo. Debitis odit vero eum ipsum ab aut fugit earum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”