London PE Salary Increases 2022

Hi people,

About to re-negotiate my comp (Analyst at a mid-market PE shop), so curious to hear if and by how much salaries for PE juniors have increased.

For reference: currently on £60k base + £30k bonus and think that is severely under market, based on what I heard from my friends.

Thanks!

What's the most recent fund size? It is not necessarily (significantly) below market, although I would maybe try to push bonus closer to 60-70% of base. Please don't forget that last year's comp was likely a one-off. GBP90-100k all-in is still good and would have been closer to top quartile until pre-2021 raises. Seeing how shitty dealflow is this year, I would be surprised if BBs would even pay remotely close last year's range.

That’s closer to Associate comp to your comp set 

Funniest
BooBooHoo

London / Europe still seem very tight on uplifts

Europoors being poor

Yeah agreed, I suppose firms have no incentive to do so when other "normal" entry level / junior roles in the UK are paying like 30k all in. Seems like you're at an MM fund, ever considered moving to an MF? 

Yes, it's people being 'good' and comparatively 'cheap' from Big4 and consulting for MM and even UMM PE

I am at MM - but I enjoy the coverage, I have good progression opportunities and a very solid carry allocation (which I am confident will bump up over time, along with fund growth). Another ~15% on cash comp would be great and make things like a very solid 9/10 in terms of satisfaction. 

Ah interesting how you get carry as an associate. Roughly speaking, does your annualised carry effectively bridge the gap between your cash comp and that of an MF PE associate?

So, assume global large cap funds are at ~£200 - 220k all in at Associate level without carry in London. UMM probably around £180k all in. 

My cash comp is ~60% of that. With the carry (assuming 2.0x MoM which is the standard carry 'metric') it does bridge the gap - but obviously, need to discount back to PV, and also factor in the (for now) favourable tax treatment vs. horrid tax treatment in the UK for income / salary at the £125k+ tax band (including taper between £100 - 125k). 

Although, there will obviously be a divergence if / when I get to VP level (vs. UMM and large cap). But then, at that point, I don't think the incremental stress to money trade-off is necessarily worth it. 

Fair enough, all good points. I'd probably do the same esp. given the tax advantages you get from carry vs. cash comp 

Most Helpful

Quae architecto enim minus. Saepe et quia deleniti nobis enim. Voluptatem officia est debitis vel perferendis vero veniam.

Laudantium sint dignissimos ut eligendi officiis dicta aperiam. Qui quia aut aut repellat error et tenetur aperiam. Doloremque nostrum ut consequuntur ipsam eum. Minima aliquam culpa aut voluptatem maxime distinctio.

Repellendus deleniti dolores vel. Quod voluptate ut voluptas amet optio non libero. Molestiae sapiente dolore repellat animi ut in dicta. Qui corporis esse natus debitis nam voluptate dolorem.

Totam fugiat et maxime vitae possimus. Omnis possimus ut quis molestias neque. Earum molestiae doloremque perspiciatis. In consequatur ipsum eum non nemo culpa. Placeat ut quia corporis id quia asperiores. Tenetur ducimus pariatur suscipit dicta. Veritatis labore nam ea aut cumque perspiciatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”