On Cycle 2025 Advice

After probably 50-100 1st year analysts reach out to me for advice on on-cycle (pre-cycle?) 2025 recruiting, I'll sum it all up here:

1) Just because the process is starting doesn't mean you have to jump into it. The earlier on-cycle recruiting goes, (i) the less firms that participate in on-cycle - especially when it's this ridiculously early and (ii) the less spots are actually filled during on-cycle vs. off-cycle

2) While there will be less candidates you're competing against in on-cycle, there will still be all those hardos who graduated early to spend their 2nd semester preparing for buyside recruiting / have been recruiting for the last 6 months so it's still an ultra competitive process

3) If you're not from a super demanded background (ultra target / DEI), you're going to get lost in the sauce of on-cycle recruiting, so just wait until you have more time to prepare and can really stand out with deal experience / crush technicals and behaviorals

4) Don't get swept up in this panic and go to a MF for the sake of the name. There's a ton of cool opportunities out there and the vast majority of spots aren't available on cycle.

5) You can do a much better job diligencing the interviewing firm (directly and back-channeling) when you go off-cycle, so if you care about culture / WLB at all, then you should probably sit this first wave out and do your homework.

Just my humble opinions...

Mod alert: We have announced a PE Interview boot camp for July 21, 2023. Check it out here: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/courses/live-training/private-equity-interview-bootcamp. Happy recruiting!

Edit: The Bootcamp is sold out. If you couldn't get a seat, please check out our PE interview Course. Good luck with the interviews!

I mean if you’re ready it’s way easier to secure given you have time rn not working and off cycle is brutal

Really appreciate the advice. Would it be frowned up to interview with one or two funds and then bow out of the process? Would it be seen as time wasting or is this perfectly valid? Just don’t want to burn any potential connections. Thanks!

You'll likely burn the bridge with the firm that interviewed you, but there's a million firms out there so who cares. The headhunters are going to want to place you no matter what so if you screw up in the 1st wave and then pull out to say you want to prepare more and then come back later, they'll still work with you.

Analyst 1 in IB - Gen:

Really appreciate the advice. Would it be frowned up to interview with one or two funds and then bow out of the process? Would it be seen as time wasting or is this perfectly valid? Just don't want to burn any potential connections. Thanks!

Not frowned upon at all - everyone knows on cycle is short so do what you have to do. Headhunters will understand up until the point you accept an offer.

Most Helpful

Good summary. I'd add three points:

• If you opt in, commit to it - when I interview associates off-cycle, I always ask if they participated in on-cycle (AKA didn't get anything), and I'd much rather have a fresh candidate versus someone that I would deem picked over (whether accurate or not) because they came up empty in on-cycle
  • The bar for prep may be a bit lower on-cycle - interviewers recognize that candidates are brand new and may be more lenient in expectations (model interviews, knowledge of various PE firms, familiar with KPIs, etc.) given these are effectively all recent college grads with limited work experience beyond internships
  • Timeline are compressed on-cycle - Given the flurry to see and close candidates before competing firms (depending on % participating), timelines can often be accelerated, so you'll tend to get feedback quickly (again for better or worse) versus off-cycle which is easier to drag on and look more like online dating (i.e., "I can't decide on this candidate. Maybe we'll wait and see what the next batch looks like.")

Vero atque architecto tenetur voluptates voluptas. Aperiam omnis dolorem neque vel quia alias facere. Qui deserunt eum ab corporis quisquam dolore.

Quibusdam et doloremque omnis et esse. Rem voluptate ipsum odio molestias cum. Sapiente commodi sequi consequatur vel sit quia. Totam et nobis voluptatem.

Aut ea illo qui harum iusto. Eum facere accusamus praesentium hic nisi. Ducimus a ipsa in dignissimos sequi est facilis. Dolores recusandae sed est repudiandae. Repellat veritatis minima consequatur omnis et.

Sed voluptatum qui soluta quos. Provident rerum iste impedit vero.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”