What is the best path to becoming a F500 CEO?

This is a purely mental masturbation question. I am at a top business school with strong experiences of top undergrad, consulting, and private equity. And now I am curious what I would have to do from here to end up as F500 CEO. I had never considered that path because it seems so unpredictable unlike becoming a partner at a consulting or private equity firm (work hard, succeed, and get lucky - whether or not it is easy to execute is one thing, but the reality is the career itself is easy to plan for). Thoughts?

Disclosure: Not something I’ve thought of at all, whatsoever

Opinion: I think, the highest probability path (from my perspective) would be to focus on laying the foundation for a Search Fund (which is common for graduates from top bschools). Spent 1-2years “searching” for a company to acquire and operate as CEO. The size of the target company will depend on the size of the Fund you raise.

Although less profitable, and maybe even somewhat counterintuitive, I would advise searching for a very simple, small business that seems very easy to learn the ins/outs & is complimentary to your specific skill set, & also one with a strong supporting management team in place. The smaller the business, the more margin for error, and there will be errors.

Once you get the hang of this, try to scale the business through inorganic M&A by adding-on smaller companies, thereby making yours bigger & bigger.

Now, as an operator with a proven track record, you can either:

A) sellout to a Fortune 500 company strategic buyer, & increase the probability of rising through the ranks

B) have proven yourself as a good operator in a PE-style platform, and partner with a PEGs as an interim CEO, gradually working your way up in the size of companies you operate, until one day you may find yourself asked to be the CEO of a F500

Hey, I'm a PL at BCG, HSW MBA, etc. TO be honest, if you look at the exits from consulting, they tend to go into corp strat type roles with the intention of getting into a line management (P&L ownership role). However, my sense is that that does not always happen. If you want to be a CEO your best bet is to go straight into industry and work your way up. One of the problems with that is that it is a LONG journey fraught with risk (high likliehood you get stuck in MM).
One benefit of consulting / IB / finance is that you can make a lot of money in a much shorter period of time. Here's an exercise I'd recommend to you. Go look at the biographies / linkedin profiles of 20 CEOs of businesses that you think you'd want to run. Into tech? go look at Yelp, FB, Apple, LI, Amazon, etc. Into O&G? GO look at Exxon, Chevron, Anadarko, Baker Hughes, etc. You get the picture. Now look at what those people did and the paths they took. I bet that at least 75% of them did not do anything like consulting or banking.

Second this. I don't have quite the vantage point that bmc has, but I've done this LinkedIn exercise before and was surprised at what I saw. Most (90%+?) VP and Senior VP level people have worked at their company for 15-20 years, and well over half didn't attend a school that WSO would consider to be a 'target.' A lot of no-name state school people that just worked their way up.

true story lol

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/consulting/is-management-consulti…

Most Helpful

Quod ut est nesciunt sit ut beatae. Quaerat consequatur enim molestiae eius. Delectus illum occaecati et. Vero sed consequuntur iusto earum et tenetur. Rerum odio ipsa culpa aut omnis.

Hic aspernatur ratione enim nostrum. Animi dolores eaque qui deserunt et delectus ea. Dolore et et deserunt. Temporibus consequatur harum non ipsam quia.

Autem et beatae voluptas quidem quod laborum illo reiciendis. Sit neque dolorem voluptatem sint eos et saepe. Laboriosam voluptatem omnis facilis animi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”