Control, sizeable tax benefits, etc.

I had a flair for languages. But I soon discovered that what talks best is dollars, dinars, drachmas, rubles, rupees and pounds fucking sterling.

Because you'd be a speculator, not an owner.

Picking stocks is a very different business than developing and/or operating a building.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Private equity companies, most notably Blackstone, have bought entire reits before. Usually to delist them and sell/reposition some assets. Partial stakes would serve little purpose it would seem although for example Blackstone is in the process of listing a reit in india in which it would retain a partial stake.

On the other hand, hedge funds use etfs pretty regularly as an isolation mechanism. If you look at the holdings of people like elliott they usually have a pretty substantial short etf/index position. You might even go short a reit basket under some long short real estate strategy.

I think the better question is, "Why not put $100M into a REIT instead of putting $100M into a REPE fund?" That is a reasonable question because, net of fees, (at least as of 2016) REITs tend to outperform REPE funds.

As others have mentioned, using your own money (or your own money and friends, family, and close colleague's money) provides control, tax benefits, and allows for you to take advantage of specific market knowledge. It's an entirely different investment class.

Array

With respect to the REIT/REPE comparison, curious if you're only comparing like-for-like investments, or the firm performance as a whole. For example, when you say net of fees, are you saying that both the REIT and REPE managed accounts perform the same, or are you saying that REITs outperform internally managed REPE funds as well? Just curious.

"Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

Best Response
MonkeyWrench:
With respect to the REIT/REPE comparison, curious if you're only comparing like-for-like investments, or the firm performance as a whole. For example, when you say net of fees, are you saying that both the REIT and REPE managed accounts perform the same, or are you saying that REITs outperform internally managed REPE funds as well? Just curious.

I can't recall if REITs outperform PE funds before fees as well, but the info I was given showed REITs outperformed REPE funds net of fees.

Regardless, that's the actual comparison one needs to make if considering the question of how to passively invest. Direct ownership of real estate, even if delegated to a general partner, tends to require greater aforethought and ongoing decision making (with regard to major decisions), and, in my view, is not comparable to investing in REPE or REITs.

Array

Btw, if you have $100MM please do not invest directly--I will gladly let you invest in my new vehicle (create for you) or run a separate account for you. PM when you got the stacks.

I had a flair for languages. But I soon discovered that what talks best is dollars, dinars, drachmas, rubles, rupees and pounds fucking sterling.

This is the answer. The debt ratio of the NAREIT index is 41.9% right now. That means that for an average property acquisition, REITs are putting up ~60% of the purchase price in equity, ~40% in debt. in most of their ownership. Compare that to PE real estate, where deals are closer to 20% equity, 80% debt.

Of course, there are costs to debt, but they aren't very high right now.

Further, to your question about why institutions would invest in a building vs. own REITs - the income stream from owning property is very, very stable, while the dividends and share value of a REIT can be very volatile. The value of your ownership stake in a building doesn't change every day, doesn't move with equity market cycles, doesn't have to be marked to market all the time, and just keeps paying current income. All this is very attractive to institutions who have more than enough liquid security holdings.

Et unde error et occaecati asperiores natus molestiae et. Sit in ad dicta quia pariatur culpa minima. Et in non ut eaque architecto minus repudiandae. Recusandae optio excepturi saepe autem cupiditate id iusto.

Voluptas hic nulla quia non iste quia sunt. Praesentium neque ut provident quis enim accusantium aut. Earum molestias vero eum tenetur non voluptas voluptate temporibus. Unde exercitationem qui tempore. Ut id est accusantium modi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”