Roast my revised cold email (from 0/26 target school guy)

I wrote a revised cold email based on people telling me mine was too long which led me to no responses from 26 emails despite going to a target and only emailing alumni. What do you think about my revised version? Is it short enough? Is it personal enough? I’m kinda not sure how to make an email personalized enough in 3-4 sentences.

Dear (name),

My name is (Name), and I am a sophomore at Georgetown studying Government and Economics.

Through speaking with alumni and interning for Morgan Stanley, I became interested in investment banking, particularly M&A.

I would love to have a 10-15 minute call with you to further learn about the industry and your experience at [insert bank]. For additional context, I’ve attached my resume.

Best regards,

(Name)

9 Comments
 
Most Helpful

One thing I always did was add my availability for the next week (day by day windows of time, really any time I was not in class) at the end of the email. This meant that it took only one response to get a call pinned down. Kept the process as efficient as possible and I usually got a way higher response rate on these emails. Just a thought. 

 

Yeah it is solid. Usually I would add a little more to my personal intro if I knew I had something unique in common with the person I was emailing, such as playing the same sport, same high school, or something of that nature. But other than that brevity is best. 

 

This is theoretically the better thing to do, but some bankers, particularly the more senior ones, will take offence to this as it suggests that you want them to work around your schedule. Instead, I'd generally ask if they're available on X or Y day in the (morning/afternoon). 

 

Placeat quidem in consequuntur. Voluptas asperiores qui ut eum tempora. Debitis excepturi similique sunt explicabo omnis aut corporis voluptas. Voluptatibus autem consequatur dolorem minus voluptatum sit possimus sit. Ut dolorum dolore nostrum voluptas velit. Consectetur autem et molestias pariatur blanditiis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”