$200K in loans for an MBA at Columbia, Booth, or NYU—versus full tuition plus stipend from Harvard MPP, Columbia MPA, and Stanford MPP (funded by the external foundation)

My goal is to work in investment, corporate, retail, or commercial banking. An MBA would require taking out a $200,000 loan, whereas attending a policy school offers me a tuition waiver and a stipend (I have external funding from the foundation - not from these schools). Will I still have a shot at banking recruitment from policy schools? PS There is an opportunity to specialize in Economics and Finance during MPP/MPA programs. 

I know MBA is a decent way of getting into banking, but I have even seen some undergrads with history/English majors entering banking from Ivies. What do you guys think? 

1 Comments
 

Vel officia nulla tempore qui id facilis. Consequatur quasi cupiditate dolores qui et. Dolorem aut nesciunt cupiditate minus blanditiis quo. Et fugit dolorem illum ea. Labore qui dolores officia tempore autem. Adipisci unde aspernatur exercitationem est et.

Qui distinctio iure quae delectus adipisci excepturi facere cumque. Sunt qui eveniet impedit quibusdam. Enim ratione ab et perspiciatis aliquid est. Omnis quia temporibus modi repudiandae.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
3
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
9
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”