760 GMAT / 3.24 GPA

Hi, I wanted to solicit the board for advice. Planning on applying this upcoming cycle and wanted to make sure my plan was at least somewhat in line with reality so I can use my time effecetively over the next few months. Let me know what you all think of my situation. Thanks!

Background:
UGrad: Top 30; Finance and econ major; 3.24 GPA (no special circumstances)
Tests: 760 GMAT 50Q, 44V
EC: President of local Young Leaders group for homeless nonprofit; volunteering committee of local real estate industry group
WE: 2 Years FP&A at F100 company; 2 Years (3 at matriculation) Portfolio Analyst at Real Estate Investment Manager (>$50B AUM)

Short term goals: pivot into real estate acquisitions
Long term goals: move up to a senior level position within a large real estate investment manager or pursue entrepreneurial endavors

I have been thinking of applying to 7-8 schools, split between Rounds 1 and 2. Round 1 will be my reach/stretch schools where if I get into any of those, I wouldn't apply to any other schools for round 2. Breakout below.

Round 1:

Columbia - ED
Kellogg
MIT
Tuck

Round 2:
Cornell
NYU
UNC

Let me know what you think of my profile and strategy, and please let me know if there is anything else that you think I should consider.

Thanks!

Thanks MBAmarathon! Is there anything that I should be doing now to strengthen my profile, or is my time best spent getting to know these schools and working on my applications? I realize my GPA is weak, but I have taken two post grad classes in real estate finance that I got A's in and will directly address my lower GPA in the optional essay.

I would just keep doing what you're already doing. As you said, make sure to spend plenty of time getting to know every last detail about the schools you are applying to. Reaching out to some prospective students should also be helpful. Other than that, just be ready to go once applications go live next year. I also don't think your GPA is crazy weak - your GMAT should be enough to offset it.

Best Response

Hey Gerry

OK, so firstly, CONGRATS ON THE 760! That is awesome and that's what I would ask for given the 3.2 and American male in finance.

Work experience looks good and THANK YOU for having volunteer experience. PLEASE keep that up. It will help you when you are compared to the many candidates like you. Because your GPA is on the very bottom of the 80th percentile GPA range for most programs, it helps when everything else is as solid as possible.

I particularly like that you are going CBS ED. They should post the essays in May and open the application by the end of May so get that one in quick and this whole process could be complete (assuming success) by mid-July. (CBS normally operates on a 6 week turnaround cycle from submission to admission/ding.)

I would like you to move one of your R2 schools up to R1. Here's why. Let's assume you get dinged at CBS but interviews at Kellogg, Sloan, Tuck. You will not find out until mid-December if you've been successful. Now let's assume worst case scenario. You don't get in anywhere. Then you only have like two to three weeks OVER THE HOLIDAYS to scramble. Don't do this to yourself. Put a back-up option in R1.

Happy to chat more. Please set up a free consult at your convenience! Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant For personal advice, please see up a free consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php Website: http://www.mbamission.com Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog

Based on my and my friends' experience, I think writing 3 applications in one round is already a lot, so I would highly discourage the OP from doing 4. (I suppose doing Columbia ED should mitigate some of this since you want to be done with that ASAP, but still.)

You can prepare Round 2 applications while waiting to hear back about Round 1 interviews and decisions. No need to wait until you hear back the final decisions from all the schools.

Thanks for the reply Frank Slaughtery! Should have mentioned that I have a strong desire to work in the Northeast after school which is why I have Sloan over Booth. When doing preliminary research, it didn't look like Booth had a strong RE program. Do you have any insight into their RE program? Sloan isn't known for their RE program either, but the have a strong MSRED and I know you can also cross register with HBS.

I'm a fairly good test taker so I built my strategy around practice tests. I bought the additional 4 test pack from GMAT on top of the 2 practice tests you get for registering for a GMAT exam for a total of 6 tests. I bought the official guide, Magoosh, and the Manhattan SC book. I studied for about 12 weeks, took a practice test every week or two, and then focused on bringing up my week areas inbetween practice tests. I went through the whole offical guide twice, and kept track of every question I got wrong in both the offical guide and practice tests. I went through my error log repeatedly until I could get every question right and could understand the concepts. I sat for the test the first time and bombed quant relative to how I was doing on my practice tests(44Q) but still got a 720. I figured it was just nerves and knew I could do better, so I scheduled another test for 6 weeks later. I studied little in the 6 week period, went into the test confident, and scored a 50Q 44V for a 760. Total study time was between 150 and 200 hours. Let me know if that helped!

Congrats on the GMAT score.

I'm a little concerned about your GPA especially at CBS, MIT Sloan, and Kellogg. Was there any upward trend? I know you said there were no extenuating circumstances.

My concern shouldn't change the schools you are aiming for, but I'm wondering if there isn't some way to address possible adcom concerns about GPA and your undergrad record.

For suggestions on addressing a low GPA, please see 5 A's for your Low GPA or come to the webinar I am presenting next week April 18: Getting Accepted to Top MBA Programs with Low Stats. While the GMAT portion of the webinar is completely irrelevant for you, the GPA portion may be helpful.

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

How’d it turn out for you with your schools?

760 and 3.22, American male from a consulting background. Also have CBS ED, Tuck, Cornell and NYU on my R1 list (for this year). Sometimes I think I’m competitive and other times I feel I’m way out of my depth.

Congrats on that GMAT score!

I suggest you consider Wharton instead of MIT Sloan. For Round 2 you may also want to consider USC. 

I think you have to address the GPA.  Obviously the GMAT and your subsequent work experience shows you have the brains to succeed in bschool, but do you have the perseverance and self-discipline?  That's what an app reader is going to wonder. Provide context for your GPA or at least take responsibility for poor choices in your application. You may also want to consider GEtting some recent A's in business related courses just to show that you know how to study.

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Harum nihil deserunt quis ut. Reiciendis et quo ipsam explicabo natus totam. Nam animi autem repudiandae quas. Deleniti corrupti autem numquam delectus vero dolor.

Dolor perferendis non soluta enim reprehenderit dolorem. Consequatur autem repudiandae doloremque et placeat. Aut officiis optio saepe at. Quo esse inventore natus iure beatae impedit ut. Quis quas ea delectus sed aut qui. Et aut aut ut asperiores quae.

Minima necessitatibus exercitationem id et. Autem aliquam culpa consequatur animi reprehenderit aut. Eaque quo maxime facilis maxime ducimus. Est earum repellat est expedita ut consequuntur atque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”