Half of HBS 2023 MBA Class has not landed a job yet

From BBG:

There’s “a lot of anxiety and trepidation about the job market,” says Albert Choi, a second-year student now planning his own business. For the past several months, speculation has swirled around the class of 2023 that as much as half of the 984 graduating students haven’t landed work. While it’s too early to know how many graduating MBAs will find jobs, sources—students, faculty and career advisers at other schools—describe anecdotally a final semester suffused with worry and a higher share of the class leaving school unemployed, at Harvard and beyond.

Two longtime faculty members say that the job market for HBS grads is especially tough this year. “The HBS job market has always been cyclical,” says John Dionne, a senior lecturer in business administration. Not only are fewer companies recruiting for fewer positions, he says, but he knows of a few cases where companies rescinded offers. “Typically, at this time of year—weeks before graduation—less than 10 percent of our graduating students are looking for jobs,” said Jeffrey Bussgang, a senior lecturer at the school and a partner at the venture firm Flybridge Capital, in an email. “Today, that figure is more like 30 percent. It is the worst hiring environment for our MBAs since 2009.” Harvard spokesman Mark Cautela says that over the last decade, typically about 80% of students have accepted offers by graduation.

In Cambridge, the first indications of trouble appeared last fall as the full-time recruiting season got underway. Tech companies—in recent years, among the top three destinations for HBS graduates—largely withdrew from recruiting. Varun Annadi, who’d come to Harvard from Google, found to his surprise that he couldn’t even land an interview with his former employer. “And I had internal referrals and an excellent record of employment there,” he says. Things looked no better in the finance industry, also among the top three fields sought out by HBS grads. Annadi points to a classmate who “worked in private equity before and has had, like, 20 interviews with various PE shops—all of whom have said they’re extremely talented, but they just aren’t hiring right now.”

The top echelon of the consulting industry—McKinsey & Co., Boston Consulting Group and Bain & Co.—is also a popular landing pad for Harvard grads. Known colloquially as “MBB” in Cambridge, the three firms primarily hire from their summer interns, but they also recruit additional graduating students—“dozens and dozens,” according to Bussgang—during the fall. Not last fall. While Annadi was deciding whether to start his own company—and he since has—he also applied to all three firms: “I got rejected almost immediately.” Silton, who’s headed to Boston Consulting, says, “I don’t know anybody who got a full-time role with Bain or BCG who didn’t have an internship.”

A classmate of mine did that and finished with a 3.9+ GPA at MIT/Berkeley/Stanford and got a top FAANG SWE gig. They barely gave any return offers so now he is going back to school. The grass is not greener on the other side except maybe for healthcare workers.

If you ever worked in healthcare (I did), it is absolutely brutal well before COVID.  I worked in the Emergency Department for most of my shifts and it is not a walk in the park.  Dealing with the General Public...not pleasant in the slightest.  Most of the dangerous encounters of people I had to deal with were in this area.  High stress, and often higher turnover.  If you do want to do healthcare - RN.  Job security.  You work 12 hour shifts 3/4 days a week and if you plan it out, you can take 5–7-day vacation trips on an ongoing basis.  Solid pay with plenty of availability for OT.

Tech is actually reporting more layoffs and implementing more hiring freezes than any other industry.

image-20230602114348-1

Do not got to HBS but can confirm I cannot find anything despite reaching out to hundreds of firms.

It's honestly crazy how much luck plays into life. 2 years ago, people without IB internship experience could break into reputable banks. Now I cannot get a 1st round with a boutique. 

Most Helpful

I think HBS may be impacted by the students self-selecting into industries that don't have as established of an internship -> full time pipeline. They don't do IB and the consulting percentage is slightly smaller than other schools. They sent 39% of their class of 2022 into PE/VC/HF/Tech which are all much more fickle in their hiring practices. Add on top of that the search fund and entrepreneurship crowd and you start approaching 50% of their class focused on much more volatile endeavors than the classic MBA hiring pipelines. 

This is right, employment stats from HBS and GSB have always been somewhat misleading relative to the other good schools. People there are generally much less risk averse so there’s a significant portion of the class that’s “unemployed” by graduation as they’re being picky on opportunities or doing something completely different. 

Agreed, a whopping 60% of GSB, 48% of HBS pursues these 3 paths, and 40% of Wharton pursues buyside/tech/entreneurship, which are much more volatile and impacted by high rate environments

Any sense if the statistics are similar for Stanford GSB this year? I am planning on applying in round 1 this fall and would be curious to hear how things are comparing over there this year as well (knowing that we are in a unique and tough hiring market).

At a T25, didn't get official stats on how many people didn't have offers by graduation but I think it was honestly somewhere around 30-40%. Knew at least 3-4 domestic second year students who had no offers a week before graduation. 

Also healthcare surprisingly has cut back on some jobs even at top fortune ranked companies. Know of two who got screwed by the economic environment, both were going to FT to their summer internship at an interesting healthcare rollup platform but the interest rates destroyed the company's financial health. One of our biggest local recruiters stopped talking to a lot of us and I think announced bankruptcy recently lol. 

Would expect Stanford’s numbers to be better given the smaller class size. Even if 60% of Stanford’s class is targeting PE/Entr/Tech (high volatility careers) that’s still only ~250 people. The equivalent population at HBS would be ~450. Add to that Stanford’s slightly better class (given higher selectivity) and the difference could be meaningful. Can think of class size as leverage. Good when things are going well but not so in bad times from a from a recruitment standpoint.

May be more selective but I think HBS has designated pipelines to corporates more so than GSB. I'd actually expect the opposite. Per percentage, I'd imagine the student body in GSB is pursuing entrepreneurship more so than HBS. HBS is known for its very strong General Management curriculum that carries well over into startups / corporates.

HBS students’ emphasis on corporate roles is already captured in the numbers quoted above: 60% of Stanford’s class or 250 students vs 48% of HBS’s class or 450 students are pursing PE/VC/Entr/Tech. I’ll admit that it’s not clear how much of that percentage corresponds to students pursuing just entrepreneurship. Numbers I’ve seen suggest that for the whole class it would be 19% of GSB students (~82) vs 13% at HBS (~120). Even then, HBS still has nearly twice as many people pursing those high volatility jobs. If there were 3,000 jobs to spread around the combination of 700 students from both schools, everyone is happy. If that hypothetical number falls to 500, HBS may be more impacted than GSB because of its much larger class.

That seems like such a huge number that it’s difficult to understand, even with HBS students pursuing jobs that are very difficult to land. Because on the other hand, 89% of full time MBAs at Darden just graduated with a job: https://news.darden.virginia.edu/2023/05/22/uva-darden-celebrates-class…

The market may be tough but it doesn’t feel THAT tough

In est vel dolor libero. Voluptatem facere voluptatum aut quis repudiandae. Ipsum omnis ex possimus ratione omnis ex est. Distinctio qui sit eaque.

Non nihil ad perferendis laborum quo. Assumenda commodi ipsam est et fuga. Velit unde nihil quia laborum porro est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”