IU Kelley thread 2023

I know that I'll probably get a ton of hate for this bc anytime that anyone mentions IU kelley they get flamed by target kids, but I'm going to put this out there because it would have been useful for me when I was applying to schools.I'm a freshman at Kelley and I just want to set the record straight for what the program looks like in 2023. IU's presence is growing fast, and its a completely different ball game than what it was 10 years ago, so I want everyone to have the most updated information that there is.IU's class has around 1200 finance majors, so its absolutely insane the number of people that are there competing for the same jobs. Every club you apply to has a 10% acceptance rate, but you have to remember that not everyone is on the same playing field here.A lot of these people aren't trying for banking jobs or don't even know what banking is. Around 75% of the class ends up working in CF/B4. This isn't so much a problem with opportunities not being available, it just has to do with the fact that every other admitted student is some bum fuck from the midwest with a 1300 SAT score who wants to do blow at SAE all day instead of actually keeping his shit together. As opposed to a target school, IU will let everyone in, and that leads to some people getting worse placements.For the students that actually do have their shit together, there's a ton of programs that allow you to get out ahead. The most important one being the famous Investment Banking Workshop. The school selects 60 students from each grade to get into this program and the placements are insane, I would argue just as good if not better than any target. In 2020, the program sent 6 of its students to Moelis, 4 to PWP, and 2 to Lazard. It frequently places directly into KKR, Blackstone, Evercore, and Centerview. Everyone in this program always gets an offer at a middle market at minimum, and most likely a bulge bracket. Its fucking impossible to get into this program though. I was talking with someone that was complaining that his GPA was 0.01 too below the cuttoff so he didn't get in. The average GPA is a 3.96, applicants have to complete 16-20 networking chats with current members, and they have to be in the top quarter of the F255 investment banking weeder class. Its also a very political process. I know people who have made someone in the workshop angry, and then don't get in because of politics. This could definitely just be folklore, but it adds a weird edge to the program and freaks everyone out about networking with people in the workshop. Its insane, but if you make it you're set.The thing about IU's growing reputation though is that you don't need the workshops to break in anymore though. I know multiple people who have placed into BBs without being in the workshop. The school currently has more people getting IB jobs that aren't in the workshops than people that are. There is OCR from pretty much every middle market and a few BBs. IU's no Harvard, but if you're willing to bust your ass, breaking into IB is definitely on the horizon, so I wouldn't overlook it especially if its cheaper than a lot of your other options.

What are you going on about bro? Everyone knows this. IU Kelley is a semi target, IBW is the target. The heat Kelley it gets is just online banter similar to when people bash Brown or Cornell. Its all very niche wso/banking humor

Controversial

I would totally disagree that everyone is well informed about Kelley. People who are actually in the industry might be, but a high school student who is trying to figure out where to go to school isn’t . If you look at past threads, they all say shit like "get a 3.7 and do well in the banking class and you'll get into the workshop". And theres tons of people that say u cant get into banking at all outside of the workshop, which used to be true but isn't anymore. So I'm just trying to tell people the specifics that I would have wanted to know.

Those are broad generalizations. I know a couple people who were in it so I'm only speaking on what they tell me along with senior bankers I've connected with. Im also a non workshop kid.

The consensus has always been the same. IBW is the actual target, top 1-2% of kelley gets in, median gpa is like a 3.9, strong ocr from top shops.The non workshop kids still have access to banking albeit a much harder path, just like any other semi-target.

Thats why i categorize them as two separate things. If you don't make it into the workshop you can still place into a bank like Fifth Third/HL/Blair/Baird (basically most chicago mm banks)

IU Kelley kids that aren’t able to get into the workshop of 60 kids are deterred from banking and are sold a dream about Ib/Pe culture that simply doesn’t exist at the school. Regardless, some of the smartest kids I know with placement at upper/lower mm firms are from iu

Keep coping semi-target bro. We all already know IU Kelley is a semi-target and that they send a handful of kids to the street every year so what r u trying to prove? That u guys r somehow a target? Every other semi-target has one these selective/honours IB prep programs/cohorts as well, like UT Austin's BHP and UF's bachelor's + master of finance accelerated track, that sends a dozen or so kids to BB/EB/top MM's as well so ur not special. 

Not to mention IU Kelley's diversity scandal at PWP last year. 

Bro i think you’re in another universe. I never said we were a target, I’m just telling high school students who are in the position I was in some updated specifics on the program. 10 years ago, IU was a complete non-target, but its making a ton of progress.

Kid - you're the least qualified person to talk about the "specifics" of our placement. Worry about getting into the workshop before you speak on behalf of everyone. This thread just comes off as you being insecure and looking for validation.

Dude what is this? Every Kelley kid is the same. Literally every single one at my bank is like this, as a whole the least-liked kids there. You guys have nothing to prove man! I’m sure everyone from there who gets these jobs are qualified like everyone else, so enjoy it and be proud instead of trying to prove your school’s worth all the time

This isn’t about proving IU’s worth, its about sharing the pros and cons of its programs. Since the school is making a lot of progress in recent years, every once in a while someone has to update students with new information about the different programs. 10 years ago, there was no way in hell anyone would place into a BB outside of the workshop. Now, people do it all the time. I’m not trying to engage in the target/non-target debate, I’m just trying to share information about what the program looks like today.

Agree with what u said. Im a freshman at kelley too, and during our first or second week of F100, we were told by professors that along with everyone in the IBW that placed, 70-80 kids outside of the workshops placed in IB.

this sounds awful. so ur saying that at your school you need a near perfect GPA just for a shot at getting into the IBW and that you can have everything but some sophomore nerd who literally has no idea what he's doing is the difference between you getting in or not? I remember at my ivy a business club I was interested in joining. there was some hardo indian kid in the club there who would ignore any guys that tried to talk to him and only talked to the hot girls. its funny cause he ended up at B4 but i could imagine the IBW is full of those intense hardo kids with similar personalities.

if anything, this would make me not want to go anywhere near this school if i was considering colleges lol

[Comment removed by mod team]

This is exactly how it is. The people in the IBW are very unpleasant hardos who make IB their whole personality

Most Helpful

As a current member of the workshop, you ruin it for us.

Chill my brother. Instead of bashing on the guy, help show him the way and help him get off WSO and focus on truly enjoying IU for what it is and not for the IBW. Banking as an analyst and associate blows and it's true that tons of hardos go to IU to try to get into the IBW that don't understand that.

We need more positivity and helpfulness in the world.

-IBW Alum

I’m a senior at IU going to a BB. God the cap on this app. U do not need a 3.96 to get into the IBW. It’s really not as bad as ppl make it out to be and even if u can’t get into the IBW (cuz the process is often somewhat arbitrary with so many qualified kids) if u have what it takes to get into banking u will at least get into the IBS or CMBW, which both can place u just as well if u hustle. Being Sibley’s star student is not the only way to get into IB. Focus on passing f210 lil bro

I’m a senior at IU going to a BB. God the cap on this app. Don’t let the ibw kids scare you it’s really not that bad. Idk who told u that but u do NOT need a 3.96 to get into the workshop. Yes it’s competitive and somewhat arbitrary just because of the sheer number of qualified candidates, but if u have what it takes u will at least get into the IBS or CMBW, both of which u can place well from if u hustle. Being Sibley’s star student is not the only way into IB. Focus on passing F210 lil bro

Member of the workshop, and the amount of people I know who didn’t have “perfect” gpas or weren’t top of their quartile in f255/f210 is way higher than you think, with me being one of them. The horror stories that people have gotten rejected because of this or that are only true for the few that actually do something worthy of not being admitted. Sure the process isn’t perfect, but it’s not looking for people who need to come on here and boast how ‘amazing’ IU is to people on WSO.

Second this - was an extremely average performer in the class/interviews. Kids like you don’t understand that half of the battle is being personable and not weird/controversiaI. The truth is, if you can shoot the shit in networking and avoid being weird/out of pocket/overly “hardo”, then you got a good chance of getting in as long as you don’t fail the class. Albeit this was a few years back, but I doubt much has changed

[Comment removed by mod team]

These posts are what gives Kelley a bad name. Majority of what you’re saying isn’t even true man.

The IBW is not a target. It’s a semi-target. From all the people I’ve met who were recruiting outside of IBW, they were struggling so IU itself is definitively not a semi-target.

In the future, it might be different. But I don’t see any of this to be true as of now. IU is not even close to an ivy. It’s just a state school that accepts a bunch of people.

I don’t understand why you would even post this. You are the reason why you give us Kelley freshmen a bad reputation.

From a fellow Kelley Freshman

Sit ullam qui sint doloribus optio. Soluta placeat dolorem velit officiis iusto. Tenetur ducimus autem et aut ab ab.

Earum cumque consequatur cum voluptas blanditiis perspiciatis at. Eos ut esse accusamus omnis.

Labore molestiae est vitae impedit. Animi repellendus qui labore omnis quo. Ad saepe fugit nesciunt maiores voluptatem aut et. Non laboriosam quaerat occaecati quas voluptatem sequi laboriosam aperiam. Quo voluptate itaque maiores quae. Maiores atque id et deserunt.

Voluptatem tenetur aperiam dolorem distinctio est. Sed expedita provident facere et ratione dolorum dolorem. Nesciunt consequatur non ut ad ea. Officiis tempore ea sit reprehenderit. Pariatur similique minus vel amet impedit suscipit minus. Dolor itaque explicabo perferendis commodi sed placeat animi quia. Quis dignissimos vel sit rerum et exercitationem et.

Rerum voluptatem sunt vel laudantium aut. Vitae voluptas itaque rerum consequatur fugit repellat. Voluptas consequatur et aut illum ullam expedita. Dolores quia qui et explicabo possimus quisquam illum.

Maiores consectetur molestiae molestiae sit rem repudiandae rerum occaecati. Cupiditate nostrum ut rerum nam et mollitia eius facere. Dolorem molestias vitae tempora. Voluptatem magni eos corrupti reprehenderit. Quia dicta accusantium dolore distinctio sint quo. Commodi cum ut sed aut et vel et assumenda. Facere dolor possimus temporibus assumenda sint est. Neque quis ab rerum voluptas est doloribus aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”