That site has terrible rankings. Booth ahead of GSB and HBS? Kellogg ahead of HBS and on the same level as GSB? The law school rankings are also a joke with UChicago over HLS. If only there was publicly available cross admit data to show how ridiculous these rankings really are. 

I’m wondering if these rankings will actually change public and eventually professional perception.

Most Helpful

Rankings change each year - So that's why there is a good outline to use when evaluating where to apply/attend.

#1 - H/S - If someone says they attend Harvard - they mean they attend Harvard. Same for Stanford

#3 - W - If someone says they attend Top 3 or H/S/W - assume they mean Wharton. 

#4-7 - Someone says they attend M7 - Assume its either Booth/Kellogg/Sloan/CBS

This wraps up your M7

#8 - Haas is like your guaranteed #8. If you watch F1 - you know like Pierre Gasly last year and his P6 finishes - consistently? Same with Haas - consistent 8th. 

#9-11 - Yale SOM/Tuck/NYU - in no particular order. 

This wraps up your T10. 

#12-14 - Ross/Darden/Fuqua - in no particular order. 

#15 - Johnson

This wraps up your T15.

#16-17 - UCLA/USC - in no particular order.  

#18-20 - McCombs/Tepper/UNC - in no particular order. 

This wraps up your T20. 

#21-25 - Really debatable - You have Gtown/Kelley/Rice/Owens/Foster/Mendoza/Scheller/Emory/Olin. 

There have been years where Wharton was #1 - but in most cases if you were admitted to H/S and W - you would pick H/S - given everything else is the same. Same with Booth being #1. 

Current rankings have Yale at # 7 - does that make them your new M7? No. Does that make CBS - no longer part of M7? No. Unless these rankings are consistent over a long period of time. 

But aren't these tierings from rankings in the 90s and early 2000s? GSB and HBS have historically been ranked 1/2 in the past few decades, with W as #3, that's where we got HSW from no?

For some reason I replied to your comment and it doesn't show...

That is true! It is based on rankings from 90s but if you look at the trends now - the rankings still apply. With maybe the exception of CBS/Haas - where Haas has been consistently 7th (Apologies as my original comment says 8th) and CBS has been 8th. But rest of the M7 has been mostly the same. 

#9-15 the tiering "kind-of" applies - since the rankings for these schools fluctuate a lot - but nevertheless the schools in this range of 6 are the same (SOM/Tuck/NYU/Ross/Darden/Fuqua). 

A nuance, but I think once you start to dip into the #15-#25 range, your geographic and professional preferences start to play a big factor in how you should evaluate schools. Some of those schools have top programs in certain industries, others are much more relevant within their geography, etc. It's fairly understandable that they're all a big jumble because the rankings at that point (should) be quite candidate-dependent, whereas H/S/W is H/S/W.  

USNews can't come out with the same rankings every year... just picture the USNews analyst crunching the numbers in their 'propietary system.' It always spits out the same thing, but they need to generate buzz and stay relevant, so the editor/MD steps in and does something like drop Harvard and Stanford and pick someone else in the top 5 to gush over. 

Companies aren't adjusting their recruiting strategies to accommodate yoy changes for this bs list.

Seems you're knowledgeable on MBA admissions, and am a current first year considering doing PE stint to MBA to some type of strategy role and moving back home (Tier 2 city). Anyways, thoughts on admittance into H/W? Graduated Cum Laude, 31 ACT, multiple positions in a social fraternity and started a behavioral finance club. Would also enjoy some input, if I'm already in Banking, is an MBA worth it? My personal thinking is it'd be hard to turn down H/W, but also think it has marginal return, at best. 

Depends on what you want to do - there’s lots of great buy side opportunities post MBA. I would say at W it’s very typical to see people with IB + PE experience here. They’re called 2 + 2s. Many people after doing IB + PE also do a year secondment at their fund investment or something in tech before joining as well. 

There's just really not that much HBS can offer that Wharton can't especially when W throws some money at candidates. I think from other M7s are starting to win a bit more cross admits from W, and W from H. 

Throwing money around is absolutely a huge factor these days, especially for non-finance backgrounds; I mean look at all these fucking threads popping up questioning whether an MBA is worth it. All the other M7s are putting on their H/S admissions hats and throwing 1yr+ of tuition to people they think are getting into H/S (although...may not apply for the finance crowd where they know they'll lose out in a cross admit situation anyway).

You have to realize that m7 is really a made up term. All schools in the top 15 are great. Many idiots from h/SW. but that doesn’t make them bad schools. That said, booth is a great school and underrated. Most folks here are Wharton Hardos. 

Aut itaque esse quia sequi. Id et ratione minima laboriosam neque ea. Similique qui rem ut.

Vel maxime ab possimus placeat provident nostrum et. Vel animi et est quas et tempora repellat. Ipsa et pariatur sit est aut ratione. Quia dolorum saepe enim aut voluptatem. Dolor hic velit ex sit pariatur. Repellat aliquam nulla sint placeat laudantium.

Ut nesciunt ut dolorem ullam. Ut sit aspernatur beatae optio dolore dicta quas dolor. Deleniti praesentium cupiditate molestias vel minus. Voluptatem quae ipsam quasi vel. Reprehenderit et repellat molestiae. Ullam omnis fugit voluptatem similique sit autem officia.

Soluta voluptas nam ratione molestiae. Quas voluptatem exercitationem aspernatur eum saepe facilis et. Quis tenetur veritatis est sapiente accusantium et et. Sunt officia hic omnis. Id quis ad magnam dignissimos quo suscipit non. Consequatur explicabo tempora reiciendis sed assumenda quaerat.

Quaerat alias ipsum et non veritatis et. Aspernatur atque asperiores voluptate voluptate. Ea laborum nulla molestias qui asperiores hic aut consectetur. Tempora animi commodi perferendis quidem inventore dignissimos facere et. Illo rerum aut rerum est in minima. Nulla sapiente qui voluptas. Vitae dolorem perferendis ducimus expedita consectetur maiores.

Et minima sed placeat aliquam quia. Porro facere qui aut nam consequuntur. A adipisci quae rerum possimus aut autem. Commodi repellat cumque vel earum facilis qui laboriosam.

Quia reprehenderit nulla fuga et amet repellendus laudantium. Libero eos fugit illo quo distinctio illum quia.

Velit nemo aut qui. Commodi doloremque voluptatem nulla magnam sunt ut. Aut inventore omnis omnis. Dolorem illo et aut. Qui iure est adipisci mollitia odio omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”