F500 Financial Analyst Internship vs. Middle Office Internship at PWM/Regional Superbank

Wanted to get some advice on this. Trying to decide where to intern this summer.

On one hand, I could intern at a F500 and receive a potential job offer upon graduation that's pretty appealing (this particular company promotes to SFA/Manager pretty quickly and the pay is 100K range pretty soon after school). However, I'm less than optimistic about this particular company in the long-run because it's probably going to get obliterated by a combination of Amazon/Walmart/other retailers pretty soon. The experience as a FA intern would probably serve me pretty well for positions at other F500 companies I imagine, and there are a lot where I live.

On the other hand, I got an offer to do Investment Operations work for a PWM/Regional Superbank. I wouldn't want to work for them out of school because the pay is pretty poor in comparison, but my advisor said it looks better on a resume because it's more selective and it's easier to jump from banking to corporate finance than the other way around. Still, I'm not ecstatic about middle office (probably a lot closer to back office if I'm being generous) because I have no aspiration to be an IBer or do PE/HF. Would this help to get into a high-tier graduate school down the road? Several people I know that worked as Analysts and Account Managers and went on to get into Booth, Kelley, and Kellogg.

As for ideal career path, consulting would have been my ideal but I struck out on my B4 superday. Still, the hours and work-life balance with good pay in corporate finance appeals to me. On an internship perspective, would it still be better to go with the IO internship?

Appreciate any perspectives.

1 Comments
 
Best Response

Sit quam laudantium maiores vel nostrum et. Omnis nobis consequatur quia sed velit aut. Blanditiis dolore beatae quia beatae iusto cupiditate. Omnis qui rem iure.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

Career Advancement Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 02 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”