100 hour weeks?

Analyst 1 in IB - Ind

Is anyone still getting slammed with 100 hour weeks? Seems like it is not as common as it used to be with most people citing 60-80?

Comments (12)

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 24, 2020

Hear Moelis/Lazard is still what it was. 100+

Mar 24, 2020

Differs by group and bank. Things like deal flow, culture, FaceTime expectations, and headcount all factor in. That said, I've noticed the "100 hour work week" has become somewhat of a false brag in the banking community.

Almost a year into the job and I think I've worked maybe 6-7 100 hour weeks.

Mar 25, 2020

Honestly it seems like something a lot of IB's say to brag or feel more important

• Associate 1 in IB - Gen
Mar 25, 2020

Def depends on the bank. IF the group is doing really well with multiple deals and all, then expect full steam ahead. If not, then yeah, it's chill

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
Mar 26, 2020

50ish - BB

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 26, 2020

May I ask what group?

• Incoming Analyst in IB - Gen
Mar 26, 2020

I think most of the time the "100" hour weeks or even the "120" hour weeks is something that people cite because it happened to them maybe once or twice- its legitimately impossible to work that every single week and everyone knows it. A lot of older guys like to say it because they think it makes them sound bad-ass.

Although I do hear that MoCo and Lazard still have pretty crazy hours, but still its mostly a once or twice thing with those extreme hours.

Mar 26, 2020

In general, my hours are more towards 80, with the occasional 100 and that's just because of live execution work during the weekend. Only did 120+ once

Array

• Associate 1 in IB - Gen
Mar 28, 2020

I did a 140+ hour week once when I was working on the group's largest potential sell-side transaction in history. Had to make the perfect deck and had to do most of the work so it was tough. This was not WFH though. WFH now means a lot more bus dev but way more work than usual due to the number of clients we're trying to meet with

Mar 28, 2020

What are hours at Centerview and other EBs like?

• Analyst 2 in IB-M&A
Mar 28, 2020

Pretty bad lol. People on this site always try to make work life balance distinctions between the EBs. At every single EB, you will get worked to the bone because that's what these firms are by nature of the business model. Are people at PJT/EVR/CVP working significantly less than the "sweatshops" like MoCo and Lazard? No way.

Mar 28, 2020
Comment