hanarei:
heard from a family member in a BB. Associate/Total(including bonus) = $178,000

What year associate and which bonus bucket are we talking about here? Is this a top bucket first year associate in the M&A group or a bottom bucket third year associate in DCM group? Generally speaking $178,000 all-in would imply something along the lines of $95,000 - $110,000 base salary plus a bonus of $83,000 - $68,000 (give or take).

Great data point, I'm sure everyone on this board would appreciate some additional information about it.

P.S. the question is about banker comp so who cares about consultant comp.

I would look for a much stronger recovery on the S&T and Capital Markets side (ECM/DCM), as it seems most of the revenues are stemming from the FICC and Underwriting activities, not M&A.

^ What's irrelevant about it? I was commenting that 178k sounds a bit low for a banking associate's comp, and that it's not much higher than that of comparable positions in consulting.

To start off with, 178K isn't low for anyone, anywhere and in a world where kids starve on a daily basis, bitching about almost 200 grand in a year is pretty disgusting. That said, 178K isn't low "for a banker" either. It's a low year certainly, and years don't really get lower than what we've just had. But it's not like this poor Associate got shafted with $178K while everyone else was looking at $850K. That's probably the level across the board.

stk123:
Here we go again, my favorite topic: Bonus Speculation

You will not find out what your bonus is until January or February so please stop this guessing game.

Where is Marcus when you need him, maybe we can help these guys work out the tax implications of these phantom bonuses just like last time...

Way to add value to the board.

1styearBanker:
What's with all the associate talk, let's start guessing on analysts, 1st year to 3rd.

Analysts don't get their numbers until the middle of the summer; associates get theirs in February, hence the speculation.

Girl I konw in HR at BB is saying comp is expected to be on par with last year so don't hold bredth. She did say that there was likely to be a small % diff between total comp of 2nd and 3rd years.

![ ](https://leancoding.co/QJO0KD " ")

Bonuses will be good this year, especially for analysts, in my opinion. We don't cost much and are easy to keep happy in times like these. That said, it depends on the firm. GS will set the pace, with all the press they are getting they have to. Other banks are just not on par with them; the vibe here in NYC is mixed all over. Also, this question is so broad and is talking about Associates. I work for a 2nd year who things bonuses will be on par with some of the better years during the last bull run. I work for another third year who says prepare for the worst. GO figure.

############ ############ ############ The time is now, seize the day ...

Things will likely be "average" this year, with much variation between firms and individual performers.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Now Bust a Move

Esse odio ratione in vel quia. Modi amet explicabo et rem.

Nam quae saepe quibusdam in magnam. Laboriosam eos commodi consequuntur corporis sit ratione voluptatem. Ut ipsa voluptas necessitatibus sunt. Consequuntur architecto saepe et ipsa alias ipsa.

Blanditiis maiores in eius vel. Qui rerum eum architecto et ut consequuntur. Aut aperiam rerum hic quam suscipit. Optio ipsam est rerum odit vel ut.

Sint ea sit dolorum officia ipsa. Dolorem pariatur quia laborum et aperiam saepe voluptatem natus. Sunt eaque quia et magni perferendis sunt. Eligendi consequatur earum consequuntur iste quos vitae. Officia quaerat sunt corporis dicta sed ea ut eos. Enim veniam omnis pariatur ab omnis facilis.

Fuga quo vel quisquam. Incidunt dicta aspernatur sunt et consequatur est perferendis quam. Vel rerum porro odio officia eveniet. Dolores sunt voluptas ab. Soluta nulla possimus nihil quo dolore.

Ut culpa optio est asperiores quos. Ad est aut corporis.

Sed asperiores ipsam accusantium voluptatem. Consequuntur quod dolores a dolorem quos tempora iste aut. Labore commodi consequatur suscipit excepturi eum. Quia dolor voluptas dolor omnis.

################################################# I am the Man. I Have the Plan. Follow Me to the Promised Land.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”