$200k to attend UVA undergrad? Unfucking believable!

I have several friends' younger brothers/sister who are attending Univ. Virginia this year. In particular, one guy's bro applied out of state and picked Univ. Virginia over Penn. Seeing that UVA charges as much as Harvard to out-of-states but isn't as generous in financial aid, he is being charged $50k/yr, for a total of $200k by end of his graduation. His family is middle class. I asked how he's paying for it and my buddy told me he's just taking out a massive loan, then working some.

Do some people nowadays seriously shell out $200k for an undergrad tuition?? Or is that the norm nowadays for people picking high level private schools?

Best Response

UVA for $200k or NYU/Emory/Notre Dame/any number of lower-tier top 25s for $200k? I'd go Virginia. Who cares if it's public if it'll get you a banking job and you get into their undergrad biz program.

UVA's Com school (UG Business) is very good. It's not as good as Wharton, but Charlottesville is a dramatically nicer area than Philadelphia. I absolutely understand the choice.

@"LBJ's hair" yes, exactly +1.

"My caddie's chauffeur informs me that a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested."

I wouldn't pay $200k to go to UVA, of course I wouldn't pay that for Harvard either. If someone has the money for it and that's what they want, cool.

Also, considering UVA's endowment is like a tenth of Harvard's, they've done a solid job with Access UVA

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Really depends on the job you want to get/grad school you want to go to. Top performers at both schools have about the same opportunities. William and Mary is definitely up there, too.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

In what world is Washington & Lee in the same conversation as UVA? This is a joke, right? You are out of your mind if you're putting W&L in the same category as UVA or W&M (or VT for that matter) for undergrad. Sure, W&L has a low acceptance rate, but so does Liberty, a school whose most rigorous ug major is "Abstinence". Maybe they're up and coming, but that puts them in the same category as GMU and VCU, maybe, but definitely not UVA and W&M.

"My caddie's chauffeur informs me that a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested."

Tuition is ~$30,000 so lets be honest and say it costs $120,000 to get a 4 year degree there. The other costs fluctuate depending on how you roll.

I have a novel idea. Work during school part time and live a little cheaper. Or go somewhere cheaper. If you are smart enough to get into UVA you can go somewhere else that is good and get a scholarship.

I'm a William & Mary grad who is a huge fan of Virginia Tech as a university and its athletics program who massively respects UVa and Washington & Lee as academic institutions and who loves VMI's tradition and leadership. If I had a high school child right now I'd be pretty happy to be a Virginian.

looooool $200k is the equivalent of a paid for house in cities other than NY/CHI/SF/etc.

This is why we have a $1 trillion of unsecured student loan debt waiting to burst. Please slap the hell out of this person.

False the student loan boogeyman is fake. Only ~5-6% of loans are in arrears. The average size of the loan in arrears is 70%) are held by upper quartile income students who can afford them. The rise in loans has been driven by: enrollment, more lower income people going to college, somewhat due to tuition increases outpacing aid, and finally financing mix. There is a bunch of aid too where you only pay a max 10% of discretionary income for a period and rest is wiped out.

Don't let liberals scare you into supporting student loan bailouts.

You gotta remember that Obama changed the rules. Now all he has to do is pay the min on his loans for a set period and the rest will be wiped out.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Fuck I could pay for this in cash and I wouldn't do it. Unless you want to go into politics why would you pay that much for UVA?

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

heister:

Fuck I could pay for this in cash and I wouldn't do it. Unless you want to go into politics why would you pay that much for UVA?

Do you have to mention how much money you have in every post? And I don't know why you're talking about politics in particular. UVa is strong in every area. It's no more ridiculous than people who pay $200k to go to non-super elite private schools. I mean people are paying $60k a year to go to Sarah Lawrence for the "private school experience". There are much worse values for $200k.

I paid $200K to go to a lower target, and it was well worth it. However, I was 100% sure I wanted to do either banking or consulting going into college and OCR is a bit stronger than it is in McIntire.

Earum doloremque voluptatibus quis nesciunt. Veniam temporibus dolor est sed ea enim necessitatibus. Voluptates quidem voluptatem cum debitis possimus aliquid. Aliquid quasi sit beatae.

I like money

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”