2012 / 2013 investment banking bonuses

I am surprised that I haven't seen any posts on here discussing the 2012 bonuses that are about to be communicated and paid out by many banks. I have heard some rumors of what bonuses will be, but I am wondering what others have heard.

To start the discussion, I have heard that top bucket first year associates at RBC got $290k all-in compensation for 2012. I saw another post on WSO saying that HL first year analysts got $55K bonus and first year associates got $80K.

Has anyone heard any other numbers? Or does anyone have any guesses on what bonuses will be? I am definitely curious what % of associate bonuses will be stock vs cash this year at different banks.

Perella London, A1, $32 bonus, all in $104

"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

"first year associates at RBC got $290k all-in compensation for 2012"

is this correct? dont 1st year associates usually barely break $200-220k ? or am i completely wrong here...

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

Thagoodlife:
I have heard that top bucket first year associates at RBC got $290k all-in compensation for 2012. I saw another post on WSO saying that HL first year analysts got $55K bonus and first year associates got $80K.

I’m going to go ahead and say no on both of these. HL was more than that unless it was stub that you are referring to or some kind of a FAS bonus (just to confirm, these numbers are for 2011 year, since they pay in March), where did you see this number. That RBC number has got to be either a second or third year associate or an extreme outlier (maybe they have a top bucket that is only one person or something, that seems way too high)...I just dont know why RBC would pay that much when most bonuses are in the 100k (+/-20k) for an first full year associate (100-125k max salary since not all banks did the raise last year, so ~200-250k max i would guess for any associate).

I agree, while RBC did well in terms of total fees (see league table thread), a ~170k bonus does seem a bit high for a first year associate...that kind of bonus is at 2006-2007 boom-time levels

Of course, as mentioned above, could be an outlier...I would reckon that 200-250k for Associate 1 is the right range

Best Response
<span class=keyword_link><a href=//www.wallstreetoasis.com/finance-dictionary/what-is-the-bulge-bracket-BB>BB</a></span> Kool-aid:
Thagoodlife:
I have heard that top bucket first year associates at RBC got $290k all-in compensation for 2012. I saw another post on WSO saying that HL first year analysts got $55K bonus and first year associates got $80K.

I’m going to go ahead and say no on both of these. HL was more than that unless it was stub that you are referring to or some kind of a FAS bonus (just to confirm, these numbers are for 2011 year, since they pay in March), where did you see this number. That RBC number has got to be either a second or third year associate or an extreme outlier (maybe they have a top bucket that is only one person or something, that seems way too high)...I just dont know why RBC would pay that much when most bonuses are in the 100k (+/-20k) for an first full year associate (100-125k max salary since not all banks did the raise last year, so ~200-250k max i would guess for any associate).

My guess would be that he is lumping in the signing bonus and stub with these numbers, which muddies the comparison...

wiseguy:
$115-$125 1st full year assoc bonus (all cash) @ Baird Chicago

This is great news. Hopefully this transitions well into strong first year analyst bonuses at Baird as well come July. Six more months!

wiseguy:
$115-$125 1st full year assoc bonus (all cash) @ Baird Chicago

Hey wiseguy - thanks for the info. Sounds like MM shops are paying pretty well. How does that compare to 1st year assoc at other Baird offices (SF, Milwaukee)? Is it more group specific? Also, I know Baird and other comparable MM shops start their post-MBA assoc off at a $100K base which is street. Does Baird bump up base pay in January after 5 months on the job (from assoc 0 to assoc 1)?

newfirstyear:
b1511815:
GS, London, 2nd year S&T analyst, $120k all in and quite disappointed

Can we please stop discussing the sorry state of RBS & al and focus on bonuses?

Is that USD? If so, that's terrible. I made more than that as a first year.

you know that "$" sign? that means dollars.

"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

I often wonder what percentage of the people here posting about bonuses actually -work- in IBD or are just undergrads who are told by their 'baller' 1st year analysts about salary and bonuses.

Quite frankly, I have seen outrageous claims here, about 1st year analysts receiving $80k bonus or a 1st year associate making $290k all in at a rather low-level bank. A lot of investment banks are cutting heavily on bonuses, so how does a $80k bonus for a first year analyst still make sense? I get the feeling there are quite a lot of frustrated analysts who do not want to admit their bonuses have been cut severely.

I am not in IBD myself (law - V5), so I cannot confirm this with 100 % certainty, but have quite a lot of friends in IB and my close ones who are open about their bonuses WISH they would make almost 300K all-in as a first year associate lol. On a sidenote - my best friend works at a rather prestigious PE firm and if you expect to make 350 - 400K the first year, you're heading for disappointment as well.

Let the flames begin ;-)

And no, I am not frustrated about my own salary, but in case you're wondering, it's not $300K either.

This site is known to be the blind leading the blind when it comes to rankings/bonuses, I'm sorry you got roped into this Mr. Lawyer.

Most of the certified users will not even respond to these threads, but I figure I would since your post implies you don't get how things work here. No one has even talked about the real issues plaguing associates, which is getting 50% or more of their bonus paid in stock and not cash which is what my associates bitched about 24/7 back when I was in banking. Just shows you how few banking associates actually post here.

Blink:
Every news article on bonuses on every IB bank anouncing their profits states that compensation is down, there is no way 1st year analysts are receiving 80k bonuses or low level associate are making 290k

Guess some people missed those newsflashes relating to cutting bonus payout by 20% or cutting revenue shares...

Blink:
Every news article on bonuses on every IB bank anouncing their profits states that compensation is down, there is no way 1st year analysts are receiving 80k bonuses or low level associate are making 290k

Depends where you work. 290k no, but places that pay above street Centerview and Evercore (has in past I believe) 80k bonus isn't crazy.

Black Jack:
Blink:

Depends where you work. 290k no, but places that pay above street Centerview and Evercore (has in past I believe) 80k bonus isn't crazy.

True. I bought that Banker's Bonus 2013 App to see what people were entering. Most analyst and associate figures are ranging from 20-100k, hugely depending on where you work. Obviously ignoring the couple of stupid unrealistic ones.

Black Jack:
workerbee:
MS IBD 3rd year analyst top $50k - CS IBD top 2nd year analyst $20k. New Normal.

Why do people continue to post such nonsense in here? I can't speak to CS though that sounds insanely low. I do know that MS IBD top bucket is not 50k.

Source: Best friend growing up is a 2nd year MS IBD analyst top bucket and was above 50k

I doubt that is true, but if it were... Wow...

Sit sequi optio qui reprehenderit sed quos dolorum. Aut culpa est est.

Ad sit quasi quam voluptas voluptate. Quam labore veritatis quis voluptatibus. Beatae excepturi quaerat iure ut magnam et omnis. Perferendis temporibus dolorem assumenda nobis.

Quo vitae nobis quidem ad eum asperiores quae. Est facilis voluptate officiis voluptatem. Omnis quia culpa ipsa odio autem. Et expedita doloribus qui reprehenderit velit impedit cum.

Enim aspernatur maxime qui facilis reprehenderit atque aliquid est. Voluptas in numquam fugit esse iure cum.

Alias sunt doloremque et et rerum. Beatae voluptatem quibusdam vel harum. Sunt ut pariatur animi itaque iusto nihil ratione.

Officiis qui assumenda voluptas deserunt asperiores similique. Praesentium inventore consequatur enim pariatur consequatur rem non.

Dolor vel autem ut labore eligendi aut quam. Est deleniti omnis omnis eos voluptatum sit quia. Consequatur ipsam minus dolores adipisci. Cupiditate labore eius numquam inventore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”