2019 Race/Competition Goals?

I know a bunch of people on here compete. What are your goal times for next year for your events --- 5Ks 10Ks, Marathons, Tris, etc etc etc? Whats your big race of the year?

This is what I am thinking so far...

Plan to do:

Jan 50K (registered) - just want to finish / have fun (its a trail run - muddy)
April 70.3 (FL) (registered) - 5:30 goal, 5:00 stretch, 4:30 dream
June 140.6 (CO) (registered) - goal to finish, no stretch goal, 9:59 dream
Sept 1mi (NYC 5th Avenue mile) - goal 5:15, stretch 5:05, 4:59 dream

Maybe:

March (possible Muay Thai amateur debut)
Feb-March (boardercross regionals)
Mar 29 - Apr 4 (CO) (2019 boardercross nationals)

This year I blew out my knee by training 12mph intervals for mile training on concrete. I will not make the same mistake next year. I'm going to do speedwork on soft surfaces mainly.

Its not an event I train for throughout the year, so the build up is really just 2 months of speedwork for me added to MMA training (speedwork in the mornings). I'd like to find a soft track to train on next year as I really like 400m intervals.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

A friend wants me to run in a marathon with him in the Spring, but the problem is I haven't trained for running more than 2 miles at the moment. I know its a long ways out and I've got plenty of time to train harder, but I also have a preference for weightlifting and I'm guessing I'd lose size that I've gained in the last year. idk still debating if it's worth it, then I can be that asshole with the 26.2 sticker on my car if I do it.

CryptoKidd:
A friend wants me to run in a marathon with him in the Spring, but the problem is I haven't trained for running more than 2 miles at the moment. I know its a long ways out and I've got plenty of time to train harder, but I also have a preference for weightlifting and I'm guessing I'd lose size that I've gained in the last year. idk still debating if it's worth it, then I can be that asshole with the 26.2 sticker on my car if I do it.

Yeah, I don't do a lot of running training either. You should be fine.

If you like weightlifting, cycling may be a way to step up your cardio without losing muscle gains to prepare for the 26.2.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

I did the Augusta 70.3 this year largely without run training. Then did the New Orleans 70.3 pretty much without running. Only real training was the 13.1 mile run portion of Augusta - lol.

After that, had a 50mi Ultra (Trail Run) early November. I went into that event without much run training. I didn't finish that event though and only got to 48.6mi. Was my first 26.2 distance in that event.

I do heavy heavy cycling though - I really like LSD.

What does race have to do with your competitions?

I hurt my hip after nailing the 2015 NYC marathon so I'm at the kiddie table with 5ks and fun runs.

WolfofWSO:
I'm at the kiddie table with 5ks and fun runs.

5ks are challenging. I'd really like to break 17:00 some day....

I am scheduled to do two races next year; I am a total beginner runner (varsity HS athlete but that's the last time I seriously trained and now on the other side of 30)

Goals:

• Half marathon in March, goal time of 10 min / mile (depending on how training goes maybe will change to under 2 hours)

• Marathon later in the year such as LA marathon

Current progress:

• 10 min / mile for 10k
  • Longest run ever was 8 miles
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

Maybe 16:30 or 16:00 for 5k idk. I just ran a 17:05 5k in a training run a few weeks ago and was mad that I didn't break 17 so I ran a 16:52 5k in a training run the next day which is a new pr. I haven't raced in a few months but I normally run 50-80 miles per week. I don't really do any workouts but did a 4xmile workout with 3:00 or so standing rest (5:00, 4:56, 5:10, 5:15) in August so I could probably break 16 mins for 5k in 2019 if I stay more consistent than I have been and start doing workouts.

famejranc:
Maybe 16:30 or 16:00 for 5k idk. I just ran a 17:05 5k in a training run a few weeks ago and was mad that I didn't break 17 so I ran a 16:52 5k in a training run the next day which is a new pr. I haven't raced in a few months but I normally run 50-80 miles per week. I don't really do any workouts but did a 4xmile workout with 3:00 or so standing rest (5:00, 4:56, 5:10, 5:15) in August so I could probably break 16 mins for 5k in 2019 if I stay more consistent than I have been and start doing workouts.

damn bro, those are some solid times

15:59 would be rockstar

yeah.. I think that it'd be sick to do that. What I'm mainly focused on right now is establishing consistency. I tried to go from not running at all to running 80+ miles per week within 10 weeks over the summer and got my legs fucked up. so I backed off and for the 8-week stretch aug 20 - oct 14 I averaged about 50 miles per week. and for the 8-week stretch oct 15 - dec 9 I should average about 60 miles per week. you can see where this is headed - I would like to work up to 100 miles per week consistently, but it is harder said than done. I need to start adding easy 4-mile morning runs at like 8 min pace.

what kind of mileage/workouts were you doing when you ran 5:19?

famejranc:
I haven't raced in a few months but I normally run 50-80 miles per week.

Mon - Sat this week:

Run: 59.3mi (3,235ft elevation gain) Bike: 70.7mi (2,710ft elevation gain)

It would be nice to hit 70mi this week in running before midnight.

I don't normally run this much, but my bikes are out. I'd like to put in another session or two today and top the leaderboards in my city on Strava. Trying to top this chick in distance that runs college XC in my city. My stats are always up there for tri-sports as I typically cycle a shit ton, but this is my first week piling up mainly running stats.

I'm dying to get my bike fixed. This week has been interesting in running though. I think I am becoming a more efficient runner.

I'm working on a century tonight and my MMA coach isn't happy with me.

I need really long sessions sometimes though to train for this Ironman in CO. He gives me like no credit at all. Its worse that I compete in Tris in his mind. I really feel balanced with the Tri sports + MMA. The cycling really helps me a lot I feel.

like ... really

JacobMoore8:
Isaiah_53_5:
Just finished - 112.9mi

If that is you, you look like the opposite of what I expect a WSO member to look like.

You're telling me! I'm now being nice to this cat as there is 100% certainty he could whoop my arse over snarky comments.

Has anyone here shifted their running style? Like a strike more on the front of the foot than the heel roll?

guggroth93:
If you are heel striking you must change the way you run or change your shoes - you will injure yourself over time or drastically limit your running potential

Oh ok yeah, I have been working on changing the way I run a lot over the past year. Its almost like I target to land on the front outside part of the front of my feet at this point. When I was running in HS and 1 semester in college (XC), the mention of running form wasn't brought up too often. We just did a lot of miles and miles and miles. You had good times, you had bad times, better train harder next time, lol.

My transition to morphing my running style this year largely came up for me when I increased my cycling miles by changing my form and started to realize I could do the same in running, in addition to making pavement a bit easier on my knees by the way I am striking the ground.

Your comment makes me think you run completely on your toes though - I can't do that at fast speeds - is that your style - to run completely on your toes?

More on the front 1/3 of my foot I'd say. I use minimalist shoes for most runs which almost forces a correct running form. I'd recommend slowly incorporating them into your routine. As for cycling, the two def can compliment each other. Never have competed in any cycling events or tris and no plans to. But introducing 2 long rides a week has helped my running a lot. It gives your joints a break from the impact with the ground and gives your mind a break from the same run all the time.

Just scrolled up - hard to imagine you are running low end 5 min miles with bad form... maybe your form is better than you think it is?

guggroth93:
More on the front 1/3 of my foot I'd say. I use minimalist shoes for most runs which almost forces a correct running form. I'd recommend slowly incorporating them into your routine. As for cycling, the two def can compliment each other. Never have competed in any cycling events or tris and no plans to. But introducing 2 long rides a week has helped my running a lot. It gives your joints a break from the impact with the ground and gives your mind a break from the same run all the time.

Just scrolled up - hard to imagine you are running low end 5 min miles with bad form... maybe your form is better than you think it is?

Yeah I'd say my form is pretty good, but we can always improve, right?

I've grown to love minimalist shoes as well. I have a collection:

• Nike Flyknit Mariah dark green (pavement shoes)
  • Nike Flyknit Mariah dark green (beach shoes)
  • Nike Flyknit Mariah black
  • Nike Flyknit Racers (Neon Yellow)
  • Nike Flyknit Racers (Red/Purple/Orange)
  • Nike Flyknit Racers (Blue Lagoon)

What kind of minimalist shoes do you like? I've never tried Vibrams.

I have Asics too, Brooks (Ghost, Cascadia GTX), Adidas Terrex ... but the Flyknits are by far the most fun.

They really force you to pay attention to proper form and displacement of strike impact or you suffer the consequences. There is nothing quite like hauling ass at 12mph or 13mph in a pair of Flyknit Racers - damn. Yeah, I'd have to say I like the minimalist shoe.

I've been a big fan of the New Balance Minimus 10v1 lately - using them on asphalt a lot and on trails as well. They have vibram bottoms, I can't do the five finger vibram things though I find it too annoying. I've done two marathons with them and plan on doing the 100k in them.

guggroth93:
I've been a big fan of the New Balance Minimus 10v1 lately - using them on asphalt a lot and on trails as well. They have vibram bottoms, I can't do the five finger vibram things though I find it too annoying. I've done two marathons with them and plan on doing the 100k in them.

Cool - I think 100K is possibly the max distance I would go for (trail run). The 100M looks brutal.

Most Helpful
guggroth93:

Have you seen the new Nike Vaporfly 4% Flyknit?

These look so sick. I like the looks of the Flyknit Racers better, but the performance on these is top notch.

I'm really dying to get a pair. They are slightly hard to find it seems. And $250 - damn. A little steep for Flyknits, but they look really sick.

https://news.nike.com/news/how-to-get-the-nike-zoom-vaporfly-4

"Eliud Kipchoge, the fastest marathoner ever, has called Nike’s 4% system "perfect...really perfect." Members of the media have proclaimed that it fuels the “fastest shoe on the planet,” a statement backed up by an unprecedented domination of world marathons (more than half of all 2018 Marathon Major podium finishers had Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% on their feet).

Now, Nike has upped the ante with a new 4% option that provides an even lighter, more breathable upper: The Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% Flyknit."

Isaiah_53_5:
guggroth93:

Yeah I'd say my form is pretty good, but we can always improve, right?

I've grown to love minimalist shoes as well. I have a collection:

• Nike Flyknit Mariah dark green (pavement shoes)
  • Nike Flyknit Mariah dark green (beach shoes)
  • Nike Flyknit Mariah black
  • Nike Flyknit Racers (Neon Yellow)
  • Nike Flyknit Racers (Red/Purple/Orange)
  • Nike Flyknit Racers (Blue Lagoon)

What kind of minimalist shoes do you like? I've never tried Vibrams.

I have Asics too, Brooks (Ghost, Cascadia GTX), Adidas Terrex ... but the Flyknits are by far the most fun.

They really force you to pay attention to proper form and displacement of strike impact or you suffer the consequences. There is nothing quite like hauling ass at 12mph or 13mph in a pair of Flyknit Racers - damn. Yeah, I'd have to say I like the minimalist shoe.

how sick do these shoes look honestly ---

they are hard to get actually

College: - 100M: sub 10.8 - 110MH: sub 14 - 400m: sub 48 - Fought professionally in various mma & kickboxing organizations

Now: - maybe sign up for an amateur boxing bout - don't give into snacks in the break room - run atleast 800m before calling it quits and heading to in-n-out - get into the buyside

What concert costs 45 cents? 50 Cent feat. Nickelback.

Jamie_Diamond:
College: - 100M: sub 10.8 - 110MH: sub 14 - 400m: sub 48 - Fought professionally in various mma & kickboxing organizations

Now: - maybe sign up for an amateur boxing bout - don't give into snacks in the break room - run atleast 800m before calling it quits and heading to in-n-out - get into the buyside

![https://media.giphy.com/media/l1J9O9elEvuRjMyXu/giphy.gif][https://medi…]

lapike:
When I ran seriously, I had a 6 miles), 1 day of speed work (2 miles in sprints), and 3 days of actual 5ks every week. I think winning the race is certainly within reach.

Yeah you got this!!!

I used to do amateur muay thai bouts in high school, now I just train in the morning for overall fitness. However, since I've finished college the competitive bug has been itching a bit, looking to get into rowing and start competing after seeing how it goes.

What are your diets like? Been getting into 16 hours intermittent fasting and have definitely seen benefits I usually don't see when I only reduce calorie intake.

Eos incidunt sunt blanditiis adipisci qui. Odit itaque a ipsum modi et. Non dolor consequatur earum odio voluptatem temporibus.

Earum commodi enim possimus fugiat laboriosam quia non. Molestiae dolorem ratione quisquam. Sit sed incidunt qui quos. Error iste eum aut quo.

Vel et facilis temporibus dolorum eius. Alias enim non rerum vitae pariatur ipsa ut. Ipsam ut rem aliquam rerum animi. Optio ullam veniam quis quis est laboriosam labore. Dolorum consequatur dolor tempora ut et dolor.

Ipsa rerum excepturi aut velit et rerum illo. Blanditiis quasi beatae et commodi modi numquam voluptatibus iure. Architecto laudantium minus hic voluptatem.

Occaecati sapiente iste et. Iure sed id autem a illum voluptatibus. Tempora asperiores rem sit maiores.

Harum illo quidem rerum. Aut nihil eos qui iure. Saepe dolore quos consequatur sed. Natus ex qui debitis eveniet harum facere. Dicta consectetur inventore ipsa voluptas repudiandae maiores harum.

Perspiciatis dicta eius voluptatum saepe tenetur et. Sit vitae dicta assumenda aliquam dolorem qui et. Eaque esse ducimus accusantium nemo dolor est nesciunt. Distinctio minus quia et dolorem cupiditate tenetur laborum sed.

Magni laboriosam quia rerum officiis ipsa molestiae dolore. Amet vel amet quia. Impedit quas adipisci est mollitia repudiandae. Dolor ut vel ut iste beatae doloribus officia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”