bump

Is there no difference between a 750 and a 780? Why is everyone saying this guy definitely shouldn't retake if he thinks he can boost it 30 pts or so? Only takes a few hours to do the test

CashCow:
bump

Is there no difference between a 750 and a 780? Why is everyone saying this guy definitely shouldn't retake if he thinks he can boost it 30 pts or so? Only takes a few hours to do the test

There's pretty much no difference, because most places will use the GMAT as more of a screening mechanism and 750 will always pass.

The odds of someone getting rejected somewhere with a 750 GMAT when they could have been accepted if they had a 780 are ridiculously low.

dusklife:
CashCow:
bump

There's pretty much no difference, because most places will use the GMAT as more of a screening mechanism and 750 will always pass.

The odds of someone getting rejected somewhere with a 750 GMAT when they could have been accepted if they had a 780 are ridiculously low.

I bet an English major that got 43 Q and 50 V would get rejected from most top schools for their 750 but if they raise it to a 48Q 50V and 780 - then they get that GMAT check mark and in that instance, it's not ridiculously low but pretty high.

dusklife:
There's pretty much no difference, because most places will use the GMAT as more of a screening mechanism and 750 will always pass. .

That is 100% correct. Just go check out the mba nerd cave gmatclub.com and it is more the evident. People with 770's getting in no where, while (white) people with 700's getting into Kellogg. As you said, GMAT is just what it takes to get looked at, after that you have to sell your story.

Law school is much more formulaic due to the lack of experience for most candidates.

If this question was really serious, you are a GD moron. Read Montauk or any number of adcom interviews and you will see that choosing to retake the test after a score like that shows extremely poor judgement. Same is also true for 700 - 730, though perhaps not for 680 - 710.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt for the second and ask what was your spread?

If you got 50 Verbal 43 Quant, it really might be worth retaking? Although, its worth noting that from everything MGMAT, Kaplan, friends and I have learned, having that type of spread is incredibly rare. I've never heard of anyone ever getting this spread or anything like it but I guess its possible.

So, besides this unlikely outlier of perfect V and lower Q, I think i'm gonna side with everyone else on this forum =P

If you already got a high score then chances are you hit a plateau. It's possible that you could study a lot more, retake it, and get a 740 (or worse). That would be a terrible feeling- spending extra time to make your application look slightly worse.

Best Response

The myth if the 80/80% rules is just that, a myth. Kenny has no idea what he is talking about. Everything I have ever read about retaking would say that it shows extremely poor decision making to retake that test. Go look at admits on gmatclub. Shit doesnt matter. It's about your story.

You would not retake a 750, with a "low" quant (even if you're a liberal arts major), for the following reasons:

1.) you have a job that demonstrates quantitative skill. 2.) You took some quantitative classes in undergrad. You could be a business minor and do fine in accounting, financial management et al. I would argue that gmat math is far more difficult than finance math. An MBA isn't a Phd in Financial Engineering. 3.) You take calc/stats/ something at a community college and get an A. The old "alternative" transcript.

Even if you don't meet any of those qualifications, I still think your time is far better served focusing on your essays. There are people with 750+ scores that get dinged everywhere because they think it is all about their GMAT. Why you are getting an MBA and what you want to do with it are for more important factors in getting admitted to top schools.

merkin:
The myth if the 80/80% rules is just that, a myth. Kenny has no idea what he is talking about. Everything I have ever read about retaking would say that it shows extremely poor decision making to retake that test. Go look at admits on gmatclub. Shit doesnt matter. It's about your story.

You would not retake a 750, with a "low" quant (even if you're a liberal arts major), for the following reasons:

1.) you have a job that demonstrates quantitative skill. 2.) You took some quantitative classes in undergrad. You could be a business minor and do fine in accounting, financial management et al. I would argue that gmat math is far more difficult than finance math. An MBA isn't a Phd in Financial Engineering. 3.) You take calc/stats/ something at a community college and get an A. The old "alternative" transcript.

Even if you don't meet any of those qualifications, I still think your time is far better served focusing on your essays. There are people with 750+ scores that get dinged everywhere because they think it is all about their GMAT. Why you are getting an MBA and what you want to do with it are for more important factors in getting admitted to top schools.

I don't know where you get off suggesting that having a low quant score doesn't hurt you. Montauk says it blatantly as do all the ad com. There are plenty of english majors that don't have quant jobs and didn't take quant classes in undergrad - and that never took the time to take it in community college.

Montauk says it, The adcom in his book say it, MGMAT says it, Kaplan says it - but you know better right than all of them right?

A 43Q 50V - was the assumption. 43Q suggests a real lack of quant skills because that's like 70% if not in high 60's.

The 80% rule agreed is a myth - but its a baseline. If you're in high 60th percentile or 70th on the dot with a 43 on Q, it will make a difference. Either that or the big MBA books and the adcom are lying right?

Totam velit sequi sint libero. Dolorem velit nostrum voluptate quod. Vitae voluptas reiciendis consequuntur omnis et sit ad repellat.

Sapiente ducimus ducimus dolor atque. Perferendis dolores odio accusantium officiis.

Sed et enim veniam asperiores. Repudiandae rerum vel eaque rerum voluptas. Recusandae quia adipisci quis labore corrupti corporis qui aperiam. Minus eum temporibus dolor et deleniti.

Iusto incidunt earum ut et aut quasi. Est qui impedit non ut provident autem.

Dolores nihil deserunt expedita molestias. Qui consequatur dolorem et quisquam illum voluptate. Consequatur quibusdam nemo consequatur et nam voluptas. Quia quibusdam delectus velit libero et quaerat molestiae ut.

Qui ad atque voluptatibus. Cupiditate voluptatem enim tenetur et sit omnis et. Est molestiae consectetur aut nihil adipisci expedita impedit totam. Excepturi occaecati ratione itaque id voluptas eius sed.

Accusamus dignissimos aut quam quaerat cum explicabo. Quasi aut cupiditate explicabo natus quam. Sapiente temporibus sequi sunt dolores repellendus perspiciatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”