AUM ranking and changes by June, 2020 (indicative of returns)

P&I Online has compiled a ranking of hedge fund AUMs as of June 30, 2020 and changes from 2019. This would give you a rough idea of who was doing well/poorly recently. 

Link: https://www.pionline.com/interactive/largest-hedg… 

Some biggest drops I saw: Bridgewater (-25%), AQR (-47%), King Street (-25%), Anchorage (-10%), Two Sigma (-10%).

Some notable increases: Millennium (13%), Elliott (11%), DK (3%), Farallon (9%), Point72 (23%).

(The Assets below are in $ millions).

AUM ranking 2020

Hedge Fund Interview Course

• 814 questions across 165 hedge funds. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
  • 11 Detailed Sample Pitches and 10+ hours of video.
  • Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring hedge fund professionals just like you.

Comments (12)

• Investment Manager in HF - Other
Nov 11, 2020 - 7:54am

I wouldn't think so. I don't believe the employee only medallion is $70bln. I agree some of their funds are down but at that number it looks like at least a combo of internal and external. Keep in mind they could have raised funds so the AUM figure wouldn't give you their performance. 

Nov 11, 2020 - 8:03am

ohhh so this is not excluding the impact of flows? I stand corrected. it'd be interesting to see AUM and net flows side by side. I should've said their numbers are probably influenced heavily by the medallion fund. my bad

my only point is the renaissance strategies I've invested in are not doing well, so I had a hard time believing that their total asset base was up 3% with this strategy down nearly 20%

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • VP in CB
Nov 11, 2020 - 2:26pm

As someone else said, this AUM changes ranking is likely a combination of redemption/raising + portfolio returns. By saying "indicative of returns," I meant it implies the fund's overall performance (though not being directly equal to returns). If a fund f*cked up, heavy redemption typically follows (with delay) in addition to the portfolio drop. Meanwhile if they did well, they could easily raise more if they wanted to. 

This might be helpful to those who do not have paid subscription to fund performance reports or with only incomplete subscription. 

Nov 11, 2020 - 11:25pm

Sit asperiores cupiditate commodi esse nisi veritatis id. At itaque deleniti pariatur aut sed numquam voluptatum. Quibusdam veritatis sit voluptatem sint iusto laboriosam iste aut. Autem velit eius et et qui excepturi. Et deleniti ea ipsum tempore. Asperiores praesentium maiores ducimus nostrum qui eum aliquid.

Aut omnis amet hic qui laboriosam. Maiores mollitia cum a numquam error. Et nihil ullam nemo quae ducimus mollitia magni.

Array

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

November 2021 Hedge Fund

• Vice President (20) $488
  • Director/MD (10) $359
  • NA (5) $306
  • Portfolio Manager (7) $297
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (21) $288
  • Manager (4) $282
  • 2nd Year Associate (28) $241
  • Engineer/Quant (52) $238