Based on your personal experience, who was the favorite on Wall Street during the 2016 election?

During the 2016 election, who was the favorite on Wall Street? Did most Wall Street financiers you know support Donald Trump or Clinton? I know that a majority of Wall Street donations went to Clinton this year. I've heard that Wall Street typically leans Republican, but that many Wall Street bankers backed Clinton in 2016 due to the GOP nominee being Donald Trump.

Based on your personal experience, was Clinton or Donald Trump the favorite on Wall Street during the 2016 election?

Best Response

That's interesting. I would've assume the Bay Area finance industry would lean Democratic at all levels. Doesn't tech finance typically lean Democratic, while other areas such as energy and healthcare lean Republican? A relative of mine is a managing partner at a BB investment bank in Chicago and I think he voted for Clinton this year (although I think he voted for Romney in 2012). I'm surprised that partners in the Bay Area were pro-Trump. I've read so many articles about how Trump is absolutely hated in Silicon Valley due to his stance on immigration and H1B-visas. I would've assumed that Managing Partners in tech finance (you said Bay Area so I'm going to assume that you work in tech finance) would've at least leaned Clinton.

I've heard that many financiers who typically support Republicans backed Clinton this year due to Trump's general instability and lack of concern for the health of the markets was a turnoff for them (aka volatility). Also, I've heard that many Wall Streeters were turned off by Trump's position on trade and immigration.

I know that Wall Street donations went overwhelmingly for Clinton last year despite the fact that they typically overwhelmingly go to Republicans. Hedge funds and VCs especially donated heavily to Clinton.

Most of the guys at the higher levels in finance stayed relatively quiet if they were pro-Trump, with the occasional offhand remark that would give insight into their leanings. They knew they were in the minority within their firms if all levels are considered, but at the end of the day rich old white guys have all the reason in the world to vote Trump. I'm not claiming it was a 90/10 split at that level, but it was certainly a majority.

I don't work on Wall Street. I'm currently a student, so I haven't had much interaction with financiers just yet. However, a relative of mine is an MD at a BB investment bank in Chicago. I think he said that he voted for Clinton last year despite being a Republican. I think he also voted for Romney in 2012. According to him, Clinton was the overall favorite at his bank, but Romney was the favorite in 2012. However, I never asked him if Trump was the favorite amongst the senior levels at his bank. I probably should've asked him that.

I personally am a former Republican-turned-independent who supported Hillary this year in the general election and Kasich in the primaries. I consider myself to be socially liberal but conservative-leaning on economic issues. I left the Republican Party primarily due to disgust over Donald Trump being the nominee.

Est deserunt soluta cum rerum at. Molestiae ab voluptate provident veniam et omnis rerum exercitationem.

Velit veritatis autem vel itaque quo enim eum nostrum. Quia optio et perspiciatis. Eligendi porro nihil rerum aliquam sint. Distinctio quis voluptas aspernatur voluptatum eius aut eaque. Cum architecto ipsum modi laborum eveniet. Sed eveniet voluptas aut quo distinctio voluptatem animi.

Quia dolore cumque tempora quis. Error dolores cum voluptatum rem. Aperiam aut adipisci eius omnis. Ut earum maxime aut quis et voluptatum tenetur.

Veritatis iusto eaque et ut et possimus iste. Eum quas et aut asperiores odio similique voluptas. Ea id voluptates sit et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”