Consumer and Retail Division 2019

I am curious about this division. I haven't seen much about it in any threads on this site post 2013. What is the culture/hours/comp in this division. What are the top groups leading this space currently? How are the exit opps? Also, why is this division barely mentioned on this site compared to many other divisions?(Healthcare, TMT, M&A, LevFIn, etc.)

Most Helpful

There is no general overarching "average" in term of culture, hours, comp or exit opps. Those things are all bank specific. Someone else mentioned the top groups and I believe the groups he listed are along the top ones.

Compensation will be based on the bank you're on. Majority of the banks pay the same, 85 base + 30-80% of that as bonus, except for EB's which tend to pay higher bonuses in different incremental amounts. Your group might get slightly higher bonuses if they're having a comparatively better year and more dealflow than other groups but I'm not sure if the difference is meaningful.

Hours are dependent on the bank as well but seems to be on the upper end among coverage groups for many banks (~70 - 100+ when deals are heating up). This seems to be the case even at places with not so great dealflow.

Exit opps again are again group dependent but if you are shooting for PE, most of the megafunds have consumer and retail groups (ie. BainCap, Apax, TPG) as well as a variety of middle market and beyond (ie. Sycamore, L Catterton, TA). Some of these will focus more on specific verticals than others, you will see some that do mostly brands/consumer and others that do more retail oriented things. Many people also can go to Corp Dev or more execution-type roles in industry, meaning the consumer/retail companies that you used to cover when you were at the bank.

Not sure why it doesn't get as much attention in WSO. It certainly is not as technical as Lev Fin or M&A but the industry is very vibrant and if you have any sort of interest in you can get a lot of exposure to really cool companies especially if you are at one of the better groups.

Hedge funds, venture capital, and all the other traditional finance routes are also fair game but keep in mind that if you start in C&R it'll probably be easier to stay as the "consumer" guy if you end up at one of these places meaning you will probably cover companies in the sector. Which is a great thing if you have an interest in the industry, and to be fair it is hard not to because there are so many cool verticals within it (ie. wines/spirits, new age foods, D2C startups like Warby Parker, Casper, etc.)

Many people are also into doing corporate development, meaning M&A execution, at a consumer and retail company as well as more traditional FP&A roles at F500.

Outside of that, people really do everything from law school to startups to entrepreneurship. It's kind of up to whatever you want as I think you get a quite broad experience that doesn't really pigeonhole you into strictly finance related roles.

Not sure about all banks but most of the ones i've seen you don't really get specialized in something until the VP level. Analysts for the most part cover everything that their MD's cover, but you usually do end up focusing a bit more on certain things depending on if you have a good relationship with your staffers and MD's and strong interest towards certain industries. If the group leaders do care about the juniors then you can end up getting more projects in the areas that interest you.

Anybody have insight into other MM consumer groups? I know Jeffereries is solid and Piper seems to be doing well lately, but curious about other banks.

Jefferies consumer team is decent but I wouldn't consider them as strong (or as large) as other groups at the firm. Plus the bulk of them are based out of the Charlotte office, not NY.

Specialization on specific verticals within the consumer space doesn't start really until you hit the VP level or above. Much like the rest of Jefferies, they try to source the bulk of their deals in the sponsor-backed sell-side fee pool.

Rise and grind

Et vero molestiae non magni aut. Voluptate quam magni quis tenetur aspernatur quae. Quibusdam rerum doloribus molestiae temporibus voluptatum sequi. Quod reiciendis impedit sed. Aperiam totam velit sunt officia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”